Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ibuprofen/Paracetamol for wisdom teeth?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The title says it all, which would be better for sore wisdom teeth? My gum's just all sore and tender, and I don't like it :no:

Comments

• Options
    If it's inflamed, maybe ibuprofen would be better as it's an anti inflamatory. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, probably Ibuprofen.
  • Options
    See a dentist?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    See a dentist?

I will do if it carries on, but I'm at uni and my dentist's at home, so just gonna see whether it sorts itself out of its own accord - and to be honest, my other wisdom teeth have all done that, so cross fingers.
  • Options
    look at the gums if they are red and throbbing might be infection I had those a few times was agonny! Needed anti-biotics, I took Nurofen and use Corsadyll mouth wash it keeps infections at bay so to speak
  • Options
    You can take them both together.
  • Options
    Ibuprofen work best for inflammation. But yeah, Corsodyll mouthwash is God. you could have a gum boil-that stuff'd sort it out.
  • Options
    When mine were coming through my eldest was teething too so I used his Calgel, which worked a treat.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    When mine were coming through my eldest was teething too so I used his Calgel, which worked a treat.

aye, if it's the gums that are sore, rather than the tooth itself, topical gel usually works better. calgel, bonjela, stuff like that. or if you need something a little hardcore, try orajel - it's got a local anaesthetic in, so it'll make most of your face numb for a while.

also (and this is going to sound ming, but go with it) slooshing out your mouth with warm (boiled) water with a couple of pinches of salt dissolved in works just as well as any antiseptic mouthwash. and is much, much cheaper :)
  • Options
    Would bonjella help? Also try leaning on a hot water bottle, helped me with mine.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies guys :) Will be getting myself off to the chemist tomorrow for some bonjella type thing. As for tonight, I managed to make it feel quite a lot better with a combination of ibuprofen, and rubbing whisky onto the bit of gum that was sore (my friend recommended doing that) - bizarre, but it did actually seem to have an effect!

And now I'm off to try the salt water before bed...... :yuck: doesn't sound particularly pleasant, but if it works then who cares ;)