Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This was just a bit of a general interest thread really. What do you girlies (or boys for that matter) do with your finger nails?

Do you have regular manicures? Spend ages painting them pretty colours or adorning them with nail art? Do you have false ones done at the beauticians or buy DIY false nail kits? Or do you just bite them and thats about it?

Me personally don't really bother with my nails :-/. I don't bite them, so they're of a reasonable length. I never bother to paint them because it seems like so much effort when the varnish just seems to chip off by the next day anyway.

I had false ones done once for my prom and they really annoyed me, I couldn't pick stuff up or open cans or silly things like that, and afterwards when they came off my nails were so disgusting and in bad condition! But my friend has false ones all the time and she loves them.

Sooo. What do you do?

Comments

• Options
    I usually do a DIY french manicure on mine...just buff them til they shine, paint the tips white and put clear varnish on. That's only when I can be bothered though.

Umm...just to hijack your thread a bit...I've just had some acrylic nail extensions put on today (not my choice at all but it was for a good cause) and i know nothing about them as i've never had them on before. They were done properly and dried with a UV lamp and everything but I was wondering...does anyone know how long they last?
  • Options
    nowt, really. i do a lot of jewellery making atm, and long nails + files + emery paper = not a great idea.

they grow until they get in the way, then i cut them off.
  • Options
    I have naturally long nails and just tend to paint them black. I sometimes give myself a french manicure when I can be bothered. I also like to have them professionally manicured because everytime I go I have nail technicians oggling my nails!! hehe.

I don't like the look of acrylic nails, they look too false.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I keep mine short and clean.
    Not allowed to have long nails, wear nail varnish or false nails for work, so I dont bother the rest of the time.
  • Options
    I have in the last couple of months let mine grow, for years i have kept them shut really really short, never bitten them but had the scissors to them everyother day, used to hate having any nail at all. Now im quite proud of them being long, and so strong too! I just keep em filed and buffed shiny, thinking of going for a manicure as a treat though
  • Options
    i erm, munch mine. :(
  • Options
    I have been bitiing my nails since I was five. 4 months ago, I grew them. But because they were so soft (like ricepaper, so the nailwoman says at the bar), they kept on splitting, so I eventually bit them off again.

I have decided to grow them again because my hands look better with long nails, so I have tips to help them grow and eventually, I will have my nails but with the hardner on them. So yeah.
  • Options
    There's a lot of hand creams around that help with strengthening nails and wearing nail varnish always helps keep them stronger. Even if it's only a clear nail polish it helps. Ooh and filing rather than cutting also strengthens them.

Mine at the moment are quite long for me. I tend to get fed up of them when they strart to make typing annoying. But I'm trying hard to keep them long cos they look better. Do tend to keep them painted in fairly neutral colours or french manicured when I get round to it.
  • Options
    i tend to have them cut short, and at the moment have a clear nail varnish painted on them. sometimes i wear nail varnish, just not at the moment.
  • Options
    i bite mine like nothing else. ive actually chipped my front tooth from doing it so hard :crazyeyes i bite all the skin round my thumbs and fingers too. *freak*
  • Options
    When I was 15 I had the whole gel nails done when I was on holiday out of pure curiousity in what it would be like to have long nails as I never let my nails grow long enough to know as I tend to bite mine. They were nice at first. Did find they made me look more femine, should I say haha... but nah it didn't last long on me, as I got bored of them very quickly and found short nails are easier to look after.

Now, I do tend to bite them, (that's only when I get nervous/bored). Rest of the time, I'd either paint them a dark colour, like a black cherry or when I can be bothered I'd buff them up myself, though that rarely happens.

Always wanted to get another manicure done professionally, just to neatin them up, etc. But never get round to it.
  • Options
    I have long nails always had them long since i started high school..
    I paint them my self or when i have time have them manicured at the local beauty salon. at the moment they're pink with dark pink dimonte's in the bottom corner (which are comming off :crying: lol)
  • Options
    I tend to keep mine fairly short, the split if they get too long as I have a pretty long nail base so by the time they get a longish white bit then break. I usually paint them with clear varnish are light pink.