Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

addicted to painkillers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have an addiction to painkillers i will take 5 of a morning before school then various amounts throughout the school day normally another 5 after school and a large number before i can sleep.
i am un aware what risks this is putting me under and what exactly it is doing to my body. does any one know?
but i am worried as i drink alot of alcohol (im not an alcoholic though) and your not ment to drink and take any medication at the same time. is this dangerous? all replies are appreciated :wave: xx

Comments

• Options
    what painkillers, and how much alcohol
  • Options
    any type of pain killers i can get my hand on but mainly ones given by the doctor and litres of vodka xx
  • Options
    you shouldn't take any more than 4g of paracetamol daily, though i think you can handle up or 7 or 8g but that is risky

you're probably putting a lot of strain on your liver, espically if you're taking alcohol with the painkillers

id knock it in the head before something nasty happens

litres of vodka? :chin:
  • Options
    litres of vodka a day??? are you sure?
    Which sort of painkillers. They are all different, thats why I asked which particular ones.
    Ibuprofen, paracetamol, dihydrocodeine, aspirin, codeine, morphine, heroin????
    You shouldnt be taking painkillers unless youre in pain, and then you shouldnt take more than the recommended dose, ie 2 every 4-6 hours for mild painkillers such as paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen. Less for the stronger ones.
    You certainly shouldnt be drinking vodka every day, certainly not litres of it, which im sure youve exaggerated slightly.
  • Options
    Hiya
    It sounds like you could be doing some real damage to your body both from drinking to much alcohol and taking an unecessary amount of painkillers. Your organs (esp liver and kidneys) are particularly at risk, and if you carry on for too long it may get very hard to reverse the damage caused. You need to go and talk to your GP about this ASAP. I know it's difficult, but it's really important that you get checked out medically.

When did you actually start all this, and was there anything in particular that triggered it? When people start becomming dependent on drink/substances there is usually a reason. Are you going through a tough time at the moment? If so, you might find it useful to have some counselling or to join a support group to talk through your feelings.

Here are some links that might be helpful for you:

Drinkline
    Confidential telephone help, info and advice on all aspects of alcohol use and abuse. Calls are free.
    Tel: 0800 9178282

Supportline
    Confidential and emotional support on the telephone for children, young adults and adults who are socially isolated, vulnerable, at risk and victims of any form of abuse.
    Web: www.supportline.org.uk
    Tel: 020 8554 9004

Also, this article will help you to take a real look at how much you are drinking and whether it is becomming too much.

Take care
  • Options
    What type are the painkillers you "got off the doctor"?

I am a big guy, and a litre of vodka would floor me! You are 15 and a gril [no offence] Are you exaggerating a wee bit? If you are not, do your teachers not notice?
  • Options
    a friend of mine (who was my dr but i also worked with him so he became a friend), told me once that he had a patient who had taken an overdose of painkillers but hadnt told anyone for a few days, then went to hospital but it was too late, she turned a yellow colour and died a slow horrible death. it just freaked me out so much that i am really careful on how many painkillers i take. i know ur not tryin to take an overdose but the principles are the same, think about it. try and get help for this cos its doing serious damage to ur body.hope ur ok.
  • Options
    Please tell me you're making this up?