Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

clearing a cough quickly.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay, im going in hospital on friday for my tonsils removed. and just my luck, ive started with a cough. i really wanna get rid of it asap, because i dont want them not to the operaton because of it. ive stopped smoking etc.. is there anything else i can do to help shift it? thanks

Comments

• Options
    just do stuff to boost your immune system

eat lots of fresh fruit and veg
    maybe take vitamin tabs just up until the op
    drink loads of water
    you could do steam inhalation
    buy some strepsils to stop yourself coughing - because the act of coughing damages vocal chords etc and makes it worse.
    don't expose yourself to bad stuff..if a friend is ill then steer clear where poss. wear something around your neck all the time you are outside. don't get too cold

thats what i'd do if i had to sing and i has getting a cough.
  • Options
    They wont cancel if you have a simple cough.
  • Options
    Bronchial Mixture does the trick
  • Options
    been following the advice given and i think its clearing up, havent had a coughing fit today yet! woo *fingers crossed* so thanks

panthro: thats good to hear, couldnt be assed having to wait for a new appointment book more time off work etc.. im all set for it this friday, bring it on!

stocked up on DVDs, Ice Cream, yoghurts, milkshakes etc... woot
  • Options
    Not sure what kind of cough you've got, but beware that if it's chesty, dairy products will make it worse. They tend to encourage mucus to stick around, so it might be worth avoiding anything dairy and stick to clear soups etc.