Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who Should I Vote For?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else been to this site? It's really good if you can't make up your mind who to vote for - as I can't - I'd call myself Old Labour and under another leader would vote Labour without thinking but I can't bring myself to vote for Blair, what with Iraq as well as the increasing privatisation in the public sector. I've really wanted to find reasons to vote Labour but everytime I see Blair or hear about the New Labour manifesto, I just shake my head in despair.

Back on topic - so being in that state of mind, I went to www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com hoping it would say I should vote Labour, my results are below:

Labour -36
Conservative -25
Liberal Democrat +42
UK Independence Party +11
Green +44

So the party I thought I should be voting for came last in my list! The test recommends I vote Green but I think I'm going to vote Lib Dem instead as they're a bigger party and the chances of a Green MP in my area (or virtually all areas) is so tiny compared to the reasonably unlikely event of a Lib Dem MP in my constituency.

Just thought I'd put this up so other people could take the test and compare results, and help people like me who are undecided - and if anyone wants to try and persuade me to the virtues of their party... (although Conservatives needn't bother wasting their time!)

Comments

• Options
    I do worry about the influence of such websites.

Really you should decide who to vote for based on your local candidates and what they stand for, not what a random website tells you.

Is your local MP any good? Do they listen to their constituents and represent their views in the House? Is tactical voting an issue in your constituency? Do you feel particularly strongly about one issue (eg Iraq)? Do you want to support any of the main polictical parties or do you feel that they're all the same anyway? Et cetera...
  • Options
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

To see some interesting stats about your MP.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I do worry about the influence of such websites.

Really you should decide who to vote for based on your local candidates and what they stand for, not what a random website tells you.

Is your local MP any good? Do they listen to their constituents and represent their views in the House? Is tactical voting an issue in your constituency? Do you feel particularly strongly about one issue (eg Iraq)? Do you want to support any of the main polictical parties or do you feel that they're all the same anyway? Et cetera...

I have tried to do the logical thing - I've followed the election a lot, read a variety of papers and websites for information, watched the news coverage etc. I actually know most of the parties policies (which is probably more than most voters!). But I'm still undecided - it's not an apathetic "they're all the same, I can't be bothered" undecided - I just genuinely can't decide who to vote for!

I know in theory it should all be about local candidates but the reality is most of them will fall in line with the leaders.

My local (Labour) MP isn't that bad - he is good at keeping constituents informed about issues and what he's up to but he loses points because when he got in back in 1997 they closed my local hospital and then rebuilt it without an A&E - so wasting money and reducing services and really all so they could say the Conservatives "closed" the hospital which they did but Labour finished it off when they could have saved it (although they say it had gone too far down the line to be stopped).

I wouldn't vote Conservative anyway as a matter of principle, but especially not for this candidate - he's on the London Assembly and everytime he's on the local news all he ever does is spout Thatcherite vitriol and just seems really nasty.

I don't know about the other candidates but I will be reading their leaflets with interest...

As for issues, Iraq is important to me for all the lies and deaths etc that it represents. Apart from that I care about education as I'm a student and because my cousin has two little girls - one of whom's my goddaughter and I want to see them get a good education. Crime and the NHS are also important to me.

The website was merely one factor to mix in with all the others to see where I stand - worst is, I'm still not 100% sure - 60% sure even! :)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

To see some interesting stats about your MP.

Thanks Klintock, that's helped me a fair bit.
    • Moderately for foundation hospitals
    • Quite strongly for top-up fees
    • Quite strongly for anti-terror laws
    • Very strongly for Iraq War
    • Very strongly for ID cards
    • Quite strongly for fox hunting ban
    • Moderately for gay rights

Hmmmm, it's edging me towards the Lib Dems but I still want to vote Labour yet the more I look into it the less I like what I see! :)
  • Options
    im going to vote labour. I dont like tony Blair but im going to vote labour for the sake of Gordon Brown tbh.
    I did toy with the idea of voting libdem, but I dont think TB will be pm for very long, I still want a labour government.
  • Options
    I dont think TB will be pm for very long.
    4 years so he says.
  • Options
    kevlar85 wrote:
    (which is probably more than most voters!)
    Sad but true.

Good luck deciding.
  • Options
    im going to vote labour. I dont like tony Blair but im going to vote labour for the sake of Gordon Brown tbh.
    I did toy with the idea of voting libdem, but I dont think TB will be pm for very long, I still want a labour government.

That would be my motivation for voting Labour too RB, but I don't know - I'm a bit nervous that Brown is wedded to the Blairite manifesto and that he might not be as different from Blair as we would all like... Also I just can't stand the thought that on May 6th Blair will be standing their grinning saying "All these votes were New Labour votes and votes for me as PM" Plus I'm not sure how long he'll stay on for - he's broken his promises and experts estimates before... I also still want a Labour government but a few changes would be good. Still really confused! :confused:
  • Options
    Who should I vote for?

For whom should I vote?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    For whom should I vote?

Don't blame me, blame the website for its poor grammar! :)
  • Options
    kevlar85 wrote:
    Don't blame me, blame the website for its poor grammar! :)
    I'm no English scholar, I was just wondering.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    4 years so he says.
    I dont think itll be that long, but even if it was, its not THAT long.
    Theyre the best of a bad bunch, but I know exactly what you mean about it being hard to decide.