Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not liking your thoughts

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
What do you do when you don't like your thoughts? Because they're too selfish, or for other reasons? Imagine a bad person, he has selfish thoughts and thinks he's right to. But what if he doesn't want to have them? It's not as simple as "-I don't like myself..." "-Then change yourself!", because it's not how I act, it's how I think sometimes (luckily not all the time). How do you change your thoughts when knowing they're not thoughts you should have isn't enough to make them disappear?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When i first started listening to metal my thoughts turned very dark. I hated myself for it too, because i'm a lovely person! You say its not as easy as just changing yourself, but it can be! I had to conciously change my thought patterns. For example if someone bumped into me, instead of thinking watch where your fucking going, i'd stop myself and think it was just an accident!
  • Options
    That's what I'm trying, have been for as long as I can remember. But it doesn't make the "bad" thought (I'm not talking "dark" thoughts, just selfish (evil?) ones) go away, it only creates another thought to battle it.
    I'm not talking about something as simple as what you said. Like, imagine being jealous of practically everyone but knowing you shouldn't be, knowing exactly why you shouldn't be, but still you are. To give just one example.
    In your example, you know it was probaly an accident, but you can't help thinking that it wasn't.
  • Options
    Maybe it should be more a case of trying to lead by your actions. If you spend time doing all you can to be the person you want to be then the thoughts should follow.

Also, don't fool yourself - everyone has 'bad' thoughts from time to time. The difference is whether you let them take over and change the person you are. The very fact that you are concerned about them means that you care. It would be much more worrying if you just accepted them...
  • Options
    Negative self talk/thinking, etc. can get you down and even give you some cracking head aches! I actually think, depending on how you feel that it would benefit you best if you see a councillor about them. They can give you some great ways of stopping them.

There quite a good book on helping to stop this kind of thing here on Amazon.co.uk that maybe worth a look.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Maybe it should be more a case of trying to lead by your actions. If you spend time doing all you can to be the person you want to be then the thoughts should follow.

I disagree intensely. How are you going to convince yourself to do something you can't think your way through.

Thoughts first, then your actions follow naturally.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I disagree intensely. How are you going to convince yourself to do something you can't think your way through. Thoughts first, then your actions follow naturally.
    I agree with you for the first time ever. But maybe it depends on the sort of person you are.
  • Options
    Change the voice, not the words. Imagine, now, Mickey Mouse saying the words you don't like. How much does that change the effect?

I paid a £1 for a penny sweet. keep the change.

Or a very very sexy voice y'know - like "You BAD person"
    How do you change your thoughts when knowing they're not thoughts you should have isn't enough to make them disappear?

How do you know that they aren't "thoughts you should have"? Hold that thought.

Good.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Its the way you act thats important. If you really think a certain way, then thats YOU and you need to accept yourself. If there is a way of thinking that you believe you SHOULD think, but it doesnt come naturally, then its not you. you cant make yourself believe things that you dont. its like religious faith - some have it, some dont, and no matter how much someone tells you about it, it wont make it ring true for everyone.
    Everyone thinks differently and it doesnt make you bad.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I agree with you for the first time ever. But maybe it depends on the sort of person you are.
    :yeees: It's not the first time ever.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Maybe it does. Maybe it depends on just how much these negative thoughts are taking over your life. It can be a bit of a spiral - if you catch it early on then I think actions can help alot. Helping others, working for something you believe in, doing a job that you enjoy etc can all be enormous self esteem boosters. Sitting around worrying about yourself leads to more worry.
  • Options
    Sorry for choosing this one message to reply to. It doesn't mean I didn't read or valued the others.
    If you really think a certain way, then thats YOU and you need to accept yourself. If there is a way of thinking that you believe you SHOULD think, but it doesnt come naturally, then its not you. [...]
    Everyone thinks differently and it doesnt make you bad.
    "Bad" people are people who have bad thoughts and accept them as being themselves. If what you say (except the last phrase) is true, then it could mean I'm a "bad" person and should just stop pretending that I'm not, which is what I fear I might have been doing forever and don't want to believe.

Also, it would mean that "bad people" can never become good. Which I don't want to believe either.
  • Options
    I see what youre saying, but im not sure thats exactly what I meant. Although, saying that, one of my favourite sayings is `its better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what youre not`.
    I dont know you enough to judge whether I think youre good or bad as a person. I think youre probably good enough, especially since you go to the extent of feeling guilty and worrying about any bad thoughts you have.
    Do you believe that `good` people, never think bad things?
    Everyone has faults. We ALL think bad things sometimes.
  • Options
    I guess you (plural) are right. The thing that triggered me posting this though, is one of those thoughts in particular. I know it's extremely selfish, but often I think that Life owes me a lot of things that it hasn't given and so I don't have to do anything in return. I know it's so selfish, and for a variety of reasons, but it does stop me from moving on...
  • Options
    well that doesnt sound that bad a thing to think. Can you expand?
    Ill be brutally honest to whether that thought makes you bad lol.
  • Options
    Not sure... I have trouble not only saying the words, but also writing them. Not sure why.
  • Options
    I've always been single. Completely. That's it. You might think it's unimportant, and I know that's selfish of me as well, but it's been a big deal to me since I was about 11. I don't know if I deserve that to change, but I do know that there are many people who didn't deserve it at all and got it. I know it's selfish, ok?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Change the voice, not the words. Imagine, now, Mickey Mouse saying the words you don't like. How much does that change the effect?

Works for me. :D
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I guess you (plural) are right. The thing that triggered me posting this though, is one of those thoughts in particular. I know it's extremely selfish, but often I think that Life owes me a lot of things that it hasn't given and so I don't have to do anything in return. I know it's so selfish, and for a variety of reasons, but it does stop me from moving on...

This is kind of what I was referring to by letting your actions lead. Maybe you have become so consumed by what you haven't got that you've fogotten the value of what you HAVE got? Of course, I'm only speculating - I know nothing of your situation so I'm not having a go, but maybe if you start to make some more pro-active steps towards what you want you'll start to feel more positive and confident? I know it's easier said than done, but surely it's worth a try?...
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    This is kind of what I was referring to by letting your actions lead. Maybe you have become so consumed by what you haven't got that you've fogotten the value of what you HAVE got? Of course, I'm only speculating - I know nothing of your situation so I'm not having a go, but maybe if you start to make some more pro-active steps towards what you want you'll start to feel more positive and confident? I know it's easier said than done, but surely it's worth a try?...
    Thanks... I know what you're saying, and I have been trying some things, just not succeeded (yet?). Always something stops me, and I'm afraid (not sure) that it's what I've mentioned above.
  • Options
    Tbh, I'm intrigued by how the replies stopped once I admitted what it is. Don't know what to make of this...
  • Options
    I've always been single. Completely. That's it. You might think it's unimportant, and I know that's selfish of me as well, but it's been a big deal to me since I was about 11. I don't know if I deserve that to change, but I do know that there are many people who didn't deserve it at all and got it. I know it's selfish, ok?

You are always single. It is selfish of you, you don't deserve to change that. What has the deservedness of others got to do with you? You are always single, after all.
    Tbh, I'm intrigued by how the replies stopped once I admitted what it is. Don't know what to make of this...

What you will...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You are always single. It is selfish of you, you don't deserve to change that. What has the deservedness of others got to do with you? You are always single, after all.
    Nothing I didn't already know. Not helping at all.
    What you will...
    That no one understands how this can be a reason to be unhappy about? Well it can and it is.
  • Options
    Nothing I didn't already know. Not helping at all.

Have you considered that everyone else is also always single?
  • Options
    Do you think that having a partner will be like a magic wand that automatically solves all your problems and makes your life perfect? If so, you might be dissapointed when you get one. Relationships are hard work and bring with them a whole new set of problems into your life. Saying that, they can also be very fulfilling, but beware of having a rose-tinted view of something. Better to be happy being single first, then people will be more attracted to the real you. Take a read of some of these articles - hopefully they'll help put things into perspective. (Oh, and for the record, I don't think you're being stupid at all - most people have felt like you at some stage).

Single and happy

Boost your pulling confidence

Asking someone out

The first conversation
  • Options
    (Not having read the links - but I will)
    I think both of you (and I assume other people too) misunderstood. This isn't about me thinking I'll be better once I'm not single (klintock, you DO know what I mean, I'm not in the mood for definitions), it's about me being jealous of practically everyone and selfush because of it.
    klintock wrote:
    Have you considered that everyone else is also always single?
    Did you even read the beginning of the thread? I said, and I'll repeat, I know I shouldn't be jealous and selfish, but I can't stop myself from being jealous and selfish. That's what I need help with. Telling me more things that I've said in this thread myself surely doesn't help.

Sorry for being angry. I just don't see what I didn't explain well.
  • Options
    Did you even read the beginning of the thread? I said, and I'll repeat, I know I shouldn't be jealous and selfish, but I can't stop myself from being jealous and selfish. That's what I need help with. Telling me more things that I've said in this thread myself surely doesn't help.

What's wrong with wanting things for yourself?

Your needs and deires will not go away no matter how shitty you make yourself feel. SO STOP MAKING YOURSELF FEEL BAD!!! Make yourself feel good instead.

Comparing your situation with others is only any use if you talk to them about how they got what you want and then use that information to copy them.

You don't need help with stopping being jealous or being selfish you need to fill those needs you have in a positive way. Your need for affection and desire for love will always be with you, like your need for food and drink. They only get stronger if you leave them unfulfilled, like hunger gets more pressing over time.

Look at ways to fill your needs and the problem will go away.
  • Options
    Ok... Thanks, for once. :)
    I suppose you're right, but I really don't think it's possible for me to "fill those needs", because of various reasons. But that's another subject, so I guess this one is closed... (Note: I don't mean "please close the thread")

Edit:
    Though I still have to stop my being jealous stop me from doing other things, because even if it is possible to "fill the needs", it might take years. I can't be like 25 (or worse) and still live in the same way I live now, because I'll still be single.
  • Options
    Though I still have to stop my being jealous stop me from doing other things, because even if it is possible to "fill the needs", it might take years. I can't be like 25 (or worse) and still live in the same way I live now, because I'll still be single.

How do you know it will take years?

I am going to tell you a story about my lickle life. About a decade ago now I moved about a hundred miles away from home, I was really dreading the whole social side of the trip because I hadn't been totally on my own like that before.

The first person I talked to after I moved in to my new home became my first wife. YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT!!!
    various reasons

Want to go over 'em?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What's wrong with wanting things for yourself?

Your needs and deires will not go away no matter how shitty you make yourself feel. SO STOP MAKING YOURSELF FEEL BAD!!! Make yourself feel good instead.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Don't be fooled - we're all selfish at heart and we all think about the things that would make our lives better. It's human nature and there's nothing wrong with it, so stop beating yourself up.
  • Options
    Most people get these thoughts, they just choose not to act on them. As you are never gonna get inside someone elses head, you will never know. But most people will admit that they experience this. Just because you think it, it doesn't make you a bad person. It is acting on it which makes you the bad person. Besides, you are aware that what you are thinking is "wrong" or "evil"...thus, your not a bad person :D