Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Labour's Succesful Campaign Against Crime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Home Office figures to be published on Thursday will reveal a surge in violent crime of around 8%. In some parts of Britain such offences are up by nearly 50%.
Sex crimes are also up by 12%.
In London police recorded almost 8,000 more violent crimes in the 3 month period August-October 2004 (compared to same period the previous year), which is an 18% increase.

So much for Labour's bit of spin, "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime". As usual its just hot air, words of spin, no substance, no delivery!

Comments

• Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Home Office figures to be published on Thursday will reveal a surge in violent crime of around 8%. In some parts of Britain such offences are up by nearly 50%.
    Sex crimes are also up by 12%.
    In London police recorded almost 8,000 more violent crimes in the 3 month period August-October 2004 (compared to same period the previous year), which is an 18% increase.

So much for Labour's bit of spin, "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime". As usual its just hot air, words of spin, no substance, no delivery!
    and of corse the tories would do so much better. :no:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    As usual its just hot air, words of spin, no substance

as oppsoed to true fine words from the tories...
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    That's not really the point old boy. We have to hold the government to account. The fact remains that they haven't been tough on crime or tough on the causes of crime. People don't feel safer - that is the point.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's not really the point old boy. We have to hold the government to account. The fact remains that they haven't been tough on crime or tough on the causes of crime. People don't feel safer - that is the point.
    i see the point,and i agree,but rk is bias with every post.(old boy) :)
  • Options
    Indeed. It comes from living somewhere with a pretentious name.
  • Options
    I think it's more to do with being pretentious...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed. It comes from living somewhere with a pretentious name.
    Meaning what?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    I'm not saying they would. We need tougher laws, drop the Human Rights Act and lets kick ass. Its time criminals ran scared instead of sticking 2 fingers up to the law.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Meaning what?
    Just taking the mickey out of Chalfont St Peter.
  • Options
    the tories slashed police numbers and budgets.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not saying they would. We need tougher laws, drop the Human Rights Act and lets kick ass. Its time criminals ran scared instead of sticking 2 fingers up to the law.

Exactly, those annoying Human Rights get in the way dont they, as do trials, police paperwork, hell, why even have jails they just fill up with criminals, you break a law you die. Simple.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly, those annoying Human Rights get in the way dont they, as do trials, police paperwork, hell, why even have jails they just fill up with criminals, you break a law you die. Simple.
    Don't exaggerate bongbudda, something you're prone to doing if I may say so, it does nothing to enhance your case.
    We certainly need more prisons and the Human Rights legislation is in my view a hinderance to justice, its a useful umbrella used by criminals/terrorist to exploit the legisaltion for their own ends.
    We also need more low-tech punishments for the yobs, public humiliation in town squares would be one way of punishing them, having them in stocks, or chained to walls where people could see them and jeer & spit at the scum.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We also need more low-tech punishments for the yobs, public humiliation in town squares would be one way of punishing them, having them in stocks, or chained to walls where people could see them and jeer & spit at the scum.
    i actualy agree with you for once RK ...realy.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We certainly need more prisons and the Human Rights legislation is in my view a hinderance to justice, its a useful umbrella used by criminals/terrorist to exploit the legisaltion for their own ends.

How do they? Please, just one example of a terrorist 'exploiting' the Human Rights Act.

And, why do we need more prisons? If prison worked why do we need more?
  • Options

Perhaps stoning?

I wonder what sort of compensation you could get for being spat at and beaten because of a miscarriage of justice. You would get lots of new neighbours I think RK.
    We certainly need more prisons

Why? They don't work.
    Human Rights legislation is in my view a hinderance to justice

Removing the right to a fair trial helps justice? How?
  • Options
    It's once cliche after another from Rich Kid, isn't it? i'm just waiting to hear, 'bring back the birch.' Can't be long in coming now. He's used up most of the cliches already.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    How do they? Please, just one example of a terrorist 'exploiting' the Human Rights Act.
    We can't send many terror suspects back to their countries of origin because of the wretched Human Rights Act.
    And, why do we need more prisons? If prison worked why do we need more?
    What do you mean by "if prison worked"? Prisons aren't social services, they should be hard places where criminals are kept securely to serve their sentences - nothing more.
    We should drop remission, TV, gyms, and all the mamby-pamby ideas taht make prison such a soft option.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We can't send many terror suspects back to their countries of origin because of the wretched Human Rights Act.

What do you mean by "if prison worked"? Prisons aren't social services, they should be hard places where criminals are kept securely to serve their sentences - nothing more.
    We should drop remission, TV, gyms, and all the mamby-pamby ideas taht make prison such a soft option.

So you're saying we should send people SUSPECTED of being involved in terrorism to torture and possible death?

And I wont even talk to you about prison if you think its like that, you are SO far from the truth its not worth discussing.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The 'wretched human rights act' ensures that if you ever get arrested you won't be tortured... That you have the right to freedom of expression... That you have the right to work and not be a slave... How is this a bad thing?

As for labour being in power... My area in all honesty has become safer (or maybe I'm more streetwise as I'm older?), but as usual the police only seem to want to help you if you're a middle class white heterosexual. I don't think we need more police, we need solidarity in communities and for people to work together.... And in the town centre more schemes like 'pub watch' that keep irresponsible people off licensed premises... CCTV has benefitted a lot of areas too.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    It's once cliche after another from Rich Kid, isn't it? i'm just waiting to hear, 'bring back the birch.' Can't be long in coming now. He's used up most of the cliches already.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Rich Kid is actually someone from U75 having a laugh...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rich Kid wrote:

Like in Soviet Russia? Im all for that! To the Gulag with them!

*Waits for Rich Kid to post how un-american and un-free society that is, contradicting himself*
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Prisons aren't social services, they should be hard places where criminals are kept securely to serve their sentences - nothing more.
    this is almost jeffry archers speeches word for word ...when he was tory chairman!
    then ...he goes to clink and finds it is very hard indeed ...until of course a few strings were pulled here and there so that he he served his time in his beamer and restaurants and theatres.
    not many criminals get to serve a sentence like that do they RK.
  • Options
    Ever considered that maybe people have more faith in the system and are reporting more crimes?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Rich Kid is actually someone from U75 having a laugh...
    What is U75?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Ever considered that maybe people have more faith in the system and are reporting more crimes?
    Have you ever tried reporting a crime recently. Its near impossible. I was talking to a Police officer recently and he was telling me that they no longer bother with shoplifters. I asked why bearing in mind many of them steal to feed their drug habits. He said that it took him around 4 hours of paperwork to process one shoplifter, hence they don't bother.

Paerwork & bureauracy are seriously getting in the way of the Police being able to do their job properly, and justice is suffering.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What is U75?

Its between T74 and V76.

:p
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Have you ever tried reporting a crime recently. Its near impossible. I was talking to a Police officer recently and he was telling me that they no longer bother with shoplifters. I asked why bearing in mind many of them steal to feed their drug habits. He said that it took him around 4 hours of paperwork to process one shoplifter, hence they don't bother.

Paerwork & bureauracy are seriously getting in the way of the Police being able to do their job properly, and justice is suffering.
    heres an invite ...do a few searches and tell us aboyut 18yrs of tory fear.