Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Local Income Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

Firstly, my first post on this forum so a quick "hi" to everyone...

The Lib Dems seem to think Local Income Tax is the answer to Council Tax. I'm however struggling with the concept of paying more to (for example) have my bins collected than my next-door neighbour just because I earn more than he does. If there are people on benefits, does this mean they'll get their bins collected for free? Why's this fair when applied to such specific services?

It's akin to walking into Tescos and being charged a fiver for a tin of baked beans just because I can afford it.

What do other people think? Am I missing something about this "exciting new policy"?

Ian.

Comments

• Options
    It isn't fair.

It's theft no matter what they do.

I would favour a "pay what you use" system like any other service or good is provided by.

It's more like you go to tesco and on the way out a guard says "fiver" even if you don't buy anything and if you don't pay him he locks you up.
  • Options
    So how do poor people, people on benefits, pensioners etc get access to services?
  • Options
    So how do poor people, people on benefits, pensioners etc get access to services?

In the same way they get access to food, water and electricity? (which are all surely far more essential than local services). Perhaps we should make food free for people on benefits? :rolleyes:

This brings up the issue relating to the fact that poor people can shop around for cheaper food or cheaper energy but they can't shop around for cheaper/better-value-for-money local services.

Ian.
  • Options
    My problem is not with the concept of "paying your way", I don't think that is unreasonable, but (as with any tax) it won't happen.

The old fogeys tucked up in their huge houses won't pay a penny towards the services they take, and the rich will just evade it.

I personally don't think a "pay as you go" service (which is what the Poll Tax was) is inherently unfair either, really. It's a difficult one, because those who can afford to pay more should pay more but, at the same time, why should a rich person pay three times as much to have his bins emptied? If his house gets burgled he doesn't get three times as many coppers, or three times as many fire engines.

I'm sitting on the fence. I don't like the attitude that the rich should pay more simply because they are rich, but at the same time taxation and fines should be proportionate not fixed.
  • Options
    droid42 wrote:

In the same way they get access to food, water and electricity?

Or not as the case may be.
    droid42 wrote:
    (which are all surely far more essential than local services). Perhaps we should make food free for people on benefits? :rolleyes:

Not a bad idea actually. I'd certainly like to see a society where everyone is guaranteed the basic neccesities.
    droid42 wrote:
    This brings up the issue relating to the fact that poor people can shop around for cheaper food or cheaper energy but they can't shop around for cheaper/better-value-for-money local services.

Ian.

They often can't shop around for cheaper food or energy either.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm sitting on the fence. I don't like the attitude that the rich should pay more simply because they are rich,

Why not? People are rich because others are poor.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's ridiculously simplistic. People are not poor because I got a degree that qualifies me for a shed load.
  • Options
    Well heres a thought......perhaps they could just provide the service on a voluntary basis...like everyone else in the economy.

So they empty the bins and then I pay and if they do a shit job I can refuse to pay. You know, like they were accountable for their actions.

And when the police don't stop you getting robbed they have a certain time to catch the people responsible and get your stuff back. If they exceed the time than you don't pay them for their "service".

Fire service? Pay for it through your insurance.

Local bylaws and stuff? I don't need some twat on £30k a year to come to an agreement with my neighbours. And to those who will point out that neighbours fall out big time - guess what! They do with the councillors etc there so why not just save a few bob.

And if everyone kept their taxes, what poor people?
  • Options
    What has your degree got to do with it?

Yes it is simplistic, but it is the basis of it - in a world where there is enough to go round, why do some people have too much and some people not enough?
  • Options
    Because people who have worked hard to earn money should not lose it all.

The current system is horrendously unfair in many cases (the "market" rewards scarcity not value) but it's better than any other one.

In a meritocracy it is perfectly fair that the rich get rich providing that the poor have the same ability and access to the upper echelons.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Well heres a thought......perhaps they could just provide the service on a voluntary basis...like everyone else in the economy.

So they empty the bins and then I pay and if they do a shit job I can refuse to pay. You know, like they were accountable for their actions.

And when the police don't stop you getting robbed they have a certain time to catch the people responsible and get your stuff back. If they exceed the time than you don't pay them for their "service".

Fire service? Pay for it through your insurance.

Local bylaws and stuff? I don't need some twat on £30k a year to come to an agreement with my neighbours. And to those who will point out that neighbours fall out big time - guess what! They do with the councillors etc there so why not just save a few bob.

And if everyone kept their taxes, what poor people?

As I said on another thread - not very well acquainted with reality are you?
  • Options
    police are also a preventative measure as well as proactive

for example if you ever goout drinking in town, they are about, but wouldnt be if you pad your taxes
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Because people who have worked hard to earn money should not lose it all.

What about people who have worked hard and not been paid because their boss has appropriated it in profit?
  • Options
    There's poor and there's poverty, and I have already said I consider them to be two different things. There should never be a situation where people have not enough. But poor is comparative. If I earn 80,000 a year, that makes my older sister poor as she earns now, but not necessarily lacking. I am happy to pay more because I have more so that people who have not enough can be supported. Poverty and poor are not mutually exclusive, but they are not the same thing.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What about people who have worked hard and not been paid because their boss has appropriated it in profit?
    Not been paid? They always get paid, apart from in cases of illegal corruption.

I can't be arsed with an argument about profit being theft, because it's bollocks, but you'll just go "no its not" and around and around we go.

Profit isn't theft.
  • Options

Some people are poor because they're lazy and prefer to scrounge indirectly from those who do work hard for a living. Some are poor because they aren't as capable as other people. Some are poor because they have started life with a bad lot (e.g. born disabled).

I'm sure that many aspects of society benefit from people who are capable of making lots of money and are therefore suitably motivated to do so. If wealth were equally distributed amongst everyone, regardless of their intelligence, qualifications etc. then what would motivate the truly capable and why should they even bother rising to the challenge when they know their neighbour sits on their arse all day getting the same amount of recompense?

Ian.
  • Options
    They often can't shop around for cheaper food or energy either

Of course they can.

With food in particular they can buy Sainsburys/Tescos "value" lines (e.g. unbranded baked beans) or they can rely on Heinz for all their baked-bean requirements.

Based on their energy usage they can often get better deals by shopping around the various energy retailers. Nothing to stop them doing that like everyone else.

I'm talking "poor" here rather than "poverty-stricken" which is a different matter altogether.

Ian.
  • Options

Fuck me.

Jesus.
    As I said on another thread - not very well acquainted with reality are you?

WoW. you are about as far removed from reality as you can get. What exactly would those "poor people" have been doing if they weren't working for someone else?

Would they have been producing anything?

Apart from winning it or robbing it the only way to become wealthy is by providing value to others. Say it three times fast and try to grasp the concept.
  • Options
    for local services like bin collection etc etc it should be wealth based but that doesnt have to be income it can be in what house ou live for example

local councils personally are the most distrustworthy people in power

only reason i reckon council tax has gone up is cause of overestimaing how much theyll need, then actually having some surplus and raising their spending the next year into a horrible cycle

can someone explan why council tax has actually gone up so much, its gooing up in regions that actually get more in government grants than what they used to so it must be going somewhere
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not been paid? They always get paid, apart from in cases of illegal corruption.

I can't be arsed with an argument about profit being theft, because it's bollocks, but you'll just go "no its not" and around and around we go.

Profit isn't theft.

where do you think profit originates from then? Thin air?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Fuck me.

Jesus.

WoW. you are about as far removed from reality as you can get. What exactly would those "poor people" have been doing if they weren't working for someone else?

Would they have been producing anything?

Apart from winning it or robbing it the only way to become wealthy is by providing value to others. Say it three times fast and try to grasp the concept.

Talk about missing the point. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    only reason i reckon council tax has gone up is cause of overestimaing how much theyll need, then actually having some surplus and raising their spending the next year into a horrible cycle

Simple though that is, I'd never thought of it like that before.

Mind you, if it is the case, you'd expect to see some sign of the money actually being spent (although possibly it's being spent on expensive trips to the Bahamas for the council members...I know my council is suspiciosuly twinned with Aruba).

It would go some way to explaining why Wandsworth, South London has the lowest CT in the country (supposedly) despite being surrounded by some of the highest-taxed areas in the country - they must have an honest council...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Apart from winning it or robbing it the only way to become wealthy is by providing value to others.

How is value added to something? That's right, through labour.
  • Options
    How is value added to something? That's right, through labour.

Ridiculous. Labour is a cost and reduces the value of an item.

Labour in itself is valueless. Only what it produces is valuable.
  • Options
    Errr...try reading and understanding. Value is added by doing something to it - i.e. labour.
  • Options
    Nope.

An item gains value by either becoming more useful or becoming rarer. Whether any labour is expended in this is irrelevant to it's value.

As things stand, labour which is paid for reduces the value of an item. The more people who "labour" on an item the less value it has.

If you think labour has value on it's own, go and dig a hole and then fill it in four or five times and then come back and tell me how much value you created.
  • Options
    Total bollocks I'm afraid. How do you make things more useful? By working on something, doing something to it - labour. And no, I'm not saying that labour has intrinsic "value". Try reading again.
  • Options
    droid42 wrote:
    Perhaps we should make food free for people on benefits? :rolleyes: Ian.
    You are of course assuming that all people receiving benefits are poor and not fraudsters scrounging off the state to top-up their black economy non-taxed earnings!
  • Options
    Have you any evidence of that Rich Prick?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have you any evidence of that Rich Prick?
    All I'm saying, and its a pity you have to be so offensive, is that we shouldn't make blanket statements, we all know there is an element of fraud going on in our benefits system, its unfortunate but its the reality. Thats all, don't jump out of your box my friend.
    The figure is estimated at around £2 Billion a year. Now could help cut our tax bill quite nicely.