Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is homophobia illegal?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    3 days later and you still haven't done this. I'm still waiting for that book precis you were gonna do "in 10 minutes" a couple of weeks ago as well. Anyone else smell bullshit?

Sorry mate tell me again what you are after and I will provide it. (The book precis that is, I know what you are looking for this thread)

I have been pretty busy I am afraid, with a guy unable to cope with his fellow workers, two smokers and a rubber band phobic to get through amongst others.

i willl answer the point you are after tomorrow as well if i get a chance.

BS? Well let's find out the easy way - by going and seeing.
  • Options
    Yes of course you will :rolleyes:
  • Options
    klintock - i am appauled by your view on depression (and by my own inability to spell-sorry)

having suffered from clinical depression for 5 years, it makes me extremely angry to read such ignorant views on the illness from a seemingly intelligent person.
  • Options
    klintock - i am appauled by your view on depression (and by my own inability to spell-sorry)

Sorry to hear that.
    having suffered from clinical depression for 5 years, it makes me extremely angry to read such ignorant views on the illness from a seemingly intelligent person.

Sorry to hear that you have felt that you are ill for so long too. Want to have some fun and help me do a demonstration?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Sorry to hear that you have felt that you are ill for so long too. Want to have some fun and help me do a demonstration?

felt that i was ill?! i was ill. i am now recovered.

i see depression as the same as a physical illness
  • Options
    felt that i was ill?! i was ill. i am now recovered.
    i see depression as the same as a physical illness

I don't. Sorry to see we disagree about that. Barring a lesion in the left frontal lobe it's a psychological phenomenon as far as I am concerned.

One that doesn't take years to get rid of either.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I don't. Sorry to see we disagree about that. Barring a lesion in the left frontal lobe it's a psychological phenomenon as far as I am concerned.

One that doesn't take years to get rid of either.

Its attitudes like that which make it worse than a physical illness. If you have a broken leg everyone can see what's the matter and can bring you grapes whilst you lie in hospial.

If you're suffering from depression all you get are people telling you to cheer up or that there's nothing wrong with you.
  • Options
    klintock you're a chronic bullshitter. I'm still waiting for your critique of structuralist philosophy as well (no, don't bother)
  • Options
    Its attitudes like that which make it worse than a physical illness. If you have a broken leg everyone can see what's the matter and can bring you grapes whilst you lie in hospial.

Oh no. I would be able to see what was wrong if I had them in front of me, no problem.
    klintock you're a chronic bullshitter. I'm still waiting for your critique of structuralist philosophy as well (no, don't bother)

Lol. If you say so Blagsta. haven't time for the critique atm. Fancy being a demonstration subject so I can show how you how to run your brain?
  • Options
    *yawn*
  • Options
    symbol.jpg
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh no. I would be able to see what was wrong if I had them in front of me, no problem.

That's good because we know what's wrong - they're suffering from depression (or a broken leg - its not exactly clear from the bit of my post you quoted what you're talking about)
  • Options
    *yawn*

I take that's a no then. Anyone else?
    That's good because we know what's wrong - they're suffering from depression (or a broken leg - its not exactly clear from the bit of my post you quoted what you're talking about)

Yeah does seem unclear. How would you know that someone was depressed just from looking at them, and not acting?
    If you're suffering from depression all you get are people telling you to cheer up

Yeah, but HOW do you "cheer up"? Clearly depressives don't know or they'd be getting on with it.
  • Options
    The law on homophobia fucking sucks and should be ammended. As far as I know it's not classed as illegal at all. Which in my opinion is stupid.

Not at all! I strongly disagree! Homosexuality isn't natural. We as living things strive to reproduce. That's our whole existence - to continue existing. If a man wants to go for other men, they can't reproduce and this isn't life. The law shouldn't have to be changed to prosecute people who disagree with perversions of nature.

(Before you say it - I've got nothing against homo/bi people)
  • Options
    Davy wrote:
    Not at all! I strongly disagree! Homosexuality isn't natural. We as living things strive to reproduce. That's our whole existence - to continue existing. If a man wants to go for other men, they can't reproduce and this isn't life. The law shouldn't have to be changed to prosecute people who disagree with perversions of nature.

So you are saying nothing should be done to protect homosexuals from persecution in any way shape or or form?
  • Options
    Davy wrote:

Oh christ, here we go again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    where is the male g-spot? :rolleyes: Why do they have bidets on the continent?

The Brits are toooo hung up about sex Lol, let alone engaging in anal sex

who really gives a flying fig what another persons sexuality is, so
    long as your happy with your own :cool:
  • Options
    I think they have bidets to clean your arse.
  • Options
    Davy wrote:

Neither is IVF natural, is that a perversion of nature?

We couldn't be further removed from nature in our own comfortable little worlds. The only thing natural that we do indirectly apart from bear children is contribute to companies that exploit and sometimes even cause the death of people in the third world. It's Capitalism, a self-destructive version of survival of the fittest.

The whole nature arguement personally I don't like because we couldn't be further removed from nature these days. We get a sniffle and we fill ourselves with chemicals, we're too lazy to hunt so we buy microwave meals and we're scared of pretty much everything the media tells us to fear. We're in a state of self destruction imo.

If a multinational company wants to destroy rainforests to build crops to feed their genetically modified and hormone filled cows so we can feed unhealthy meals to our kids or eat something with virtually no nutritional value. That destroys wildlife and our health. It won't help us to continue existing eventually.

IVF is messing with nature too and not natural, neither is using contraception if you're to use the arguement of nature.

Anyway... What is more natural than love?
  • Options
    The whole nature arguement personally I don't like because we couldn't be further removed from nature these days. We get a sniffle and we fill ourselves with chemicals, we're too lazy to hunt so we buy microwave meals and we're scared of pretty much everything the media tells us to fear. We're in a state of self destruction imo.

It is a way of understanding people's homophobia though, is it not?
  • Options
    It is a way of understanding people's homophobia though, is it not?
    That if 'defys nature'?

I think homophobia is a fear that the person is secretly aroused by it personally.
  • Options
    I think homophobia is a fear that the person is secretly aroused by it personally.

Sometimes, I think this is true. However, I also think this argument is overplayed by the anti-homophobia corner because it's kind of attacking them where they're most sensitive. I think for most people who've never encountered homosexuality the first reaction is a kind of :shocking: fear. Then again, it depends how you're brought up - most people's first reaction to heterosexuality is fear, too :p (remember running away from kiss-chase at primary school? or was that just me? :chin:).

I think for some people it's difficult for them to bury their fear of the unknown, so to speak, and so perhaps there should be a tolerance of the intolerant, too. I'm not saying put up with gay bashers, but things are changing, with every generation more and more people join the 'it's your life, live it how you want' camp, so I think sometimes you've just got to let people get on with their lives, they may not be happy having homosexuality a part of it.
  • Options
    My friend's a batty man, and it doesn't bother me!

Homophobia is wrong!
  • Options
    lem-e-furd wrote:
    My friend's a batty man, and it doesn't bother me!

Homophobia is wrong!
    Welcome back monocrat.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    So you are saying nothing should be done to protect homosexuals from persecution in any way shape or or form?
    No, I'm saying people can't be persecuted because of thier opinions. Only if they do something on grounds of them being gay/bi. Which I believe is already illegal.
  • Options
    Davy wrote:

Of course you've nothign against homo/bi people.

You just think we're unnatural.

As Blagsta says, here we go again... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Of course you've nothign against homo/bi people.

You just think we're unnatural.

I think homosexuality is unnatural, but of all the homosexual people I've ever met I've never treated them any differently (well, I got pissed off at this one girl, who was going round saying to everyone "I'm a lesbian!" like she deserved special treatment, but that's a personality conflict). I think in this day and age it's relatively irrelevent whether it's natural or not, but it's not the way human's are 'designed'. Cars aren't natural, TVs aren't natural, the frigging internet isn't natural, I still use them though.
  • Options
    Of course TV's, cars are "natural". We're products of nature aren't we? Therefore anything we do is "natural".
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Of course TV's, cars are "natural". We're products of nature aren't we? Therefore anything we do is "natural".

Including 'capitalism'?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Including 'capitalism'?

If you like. You'd also have to then include fascism, communism, anarchism etc. This is why drawing a distinction between "natural" and "unnatural" isn't very helpful.