Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why won't this guy win?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LOL. Well good luck to him. Sadly, his comparison of principle between the recognition of sovereignty of the former US colonies and his right to declare independence from the Crown fail to recognise the huge cost in blood paid by the colonists in pursuit of their claim. Unless he has a horde of likeminded, and well armed, militiamen in his back garden - sufficiently armed and trained to fight off the UK regular and special forces - there isnt much the European court could do to uphold his claim even if they did rule in his favour.

Makes for little more than further mindless filler press to divert public focus away from undivided scrutiny of the government and its misdeeds on matters of real national importance. Same as it ever was.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

If we all did that, where would the revenue to pay for public services come from?
  • Options
    On a further note, if the government did ever recognise his claim, he would thereafter require a passport and likely a visa (for annoying the bureaucrats in Whitehall) to set foot outside his garden onto British soil. Hope he has enough money to open a consular office for Albion in London and have a reciprocal British consulate installed in his garden.
  • Options
    Passport to Pimlico II?

Passport to Pimlico was an Ealing Comedy about a part of London that declared UDI. It was made in the late 40s, I think.

Is Mr Fenton joking? Either he is or he's an utter crank.

The extraordinary thing is that his daft claim that his home is now an independent country is going to be tested in the ECHR.
    Mr Fenton's argument has been recognised by the European Court of Human Rights and will be dealt with "as soon as practicable".
    What a waste of time and public money!
  • Options
    But why won't he win?

All the things you state may or may not be true, but they don't really come up in a court of law. Amount of troops etc doesn't tend to be used in defence of government action as far as I know.

So, what bullshit excuse will the so called "judges" come up with to deny him the right to do with his house what he wants?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    But why won't he win?
    Because he's a nut case!!!!! Simple really!!!
  • Options
    Wasn't there a worthless bbc comedy series about the same thing with Dawn French a few years before the Vicar of Drivel was on TV?

I seem to remember it being a follow up to an even earlier sitcom based on the Ealing premise.
  • Options
    Oh and wouldn't he of had to ratify the Human Rights Convention and be a member of the EU for it to take effect. So essentially if he wins the law he won on couldn't apply to him?
  • Options
    Yep.

Spot on Jim.

They don't have juridiction to hear his case unless he is in the UK, and the fact that he has asked them to proves he is in the UK so no go.
  • Options
    :yippe: hooray for catch 22's
  • Options
    hooray for catch 22's
    :yippe:

To right,

Try this for a head melter.

If he's presumed innocent then he must be presumed innocent of being in the area for liability in the first place. If he's presumed innocent then the court has no authority to even hear the case to enforce liability.

Why? Because until it proves him guilty (which it can't do because he has to be presumed innocent in order to be lawful) of being in the courts jurisdiction there is no case to answer. >Phew<

Unless you ask they just ignore this though, which will surprise nobody.
  • Options
    erm, what does he do with his rubbish?
  • Options
    If Whitehall have any sense they'll recognise his claim and then, as Clandestine points out, he'll need a passport to leave his own garden. They can then refuse to accept whatever he decides to use as a passport...same as they did when that guy tried in Australia.
  • Options
    erm, what does he do with his rubbish?

Who nows, perhaps he takes it to the tip himself, or pays the contractors that the council employ directly saving himself hundreds of pounds. Of course if they agree that he can do what he wants he can print his own currency or make a fortune offering "offshore" tax breaks using his address.
    If Whitehall have any sense they'll recognise his claim and then, as Clandestine points out, he'll need a passport to leave his own garden. They can then refuse to accept whatever he decides to use as a passport...same as they did when that guy tried in Australia.

I do hope they do but I don't think it's likely. The second they did I would set up my own country but not at my house so I could set up my own bank and offer swinging tax breaks to make myself wealthy.

Also note that this issue is so important to them that they will throw many times what they would make in tax revenue at making him behave. Obviously the first year the council paid it for him hoping he would see the light later on.

Why is it so important that they appear fair to this man and also defeat his argument?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Who nows, perhaps he takes it to the tip himself, or pays the contractors that the council employ directly saving himself hundreds of pounds.

He couldn't do either. Remember he can't leave his house to go to the tip and he'd need some expensive and hard-to-obtain paperwork for importing waste to the UK.
    I do hope they do but I don't think it's likely. The second they did I would set up my own country but not at my house so I could set up my own bank and offer swinging tax breaks to make myself wealthy.

Yeah, that's been done hasn't it? That oilrig that declared itself independent and set up a few servers for bank accounts. They can leave the oilrig though.
  • Options
    I think they should allow him to have his own country, but we should close borders with him, we dont want his sort in our country.

Then we can just wait it out and see how long it takes for him to give out.
  • Options
    Lol.

So rather than coming to some arrangement over his payment for getting his bins emptied like normal rational people, we should starve him to death if need be so he kowtows??

Sane. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol.

So rather than coming to some arrangement over his payment for getting his bins emptied like normal rational people, we should starve him to death if need be so he kowtows??

Sane. :lol::lol::lol:

Seems reasonable to me, or at least just as reasonable as making your house your own country.
  • Options
    What's the difference between him doing it and that Windsor woman doing it?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What's the difference between him doing it and that Windsor woman doing it?

I can only assume you are refering to the Queen. The difference is, this bloke is clearly a nutter, the Queen is a nice old woman who waves a bit and opens hospitals.
  • Options
    Really?

Surely the only difference is that she's convinced more people than he has?

After all there are no "royal" atoms as far as I know.....
  • Options
    But she has the Crown Jewels, I've seen them, they're big and shiney.
  • Options
    But he has a wheelie bin full of hope........
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    But he has a wheelie bin full of hope........

And probably lots of rubbish too.
  • Options
    Don't you all...........
  • Options
  • Options
    I hope they told him that he couldn't get citizienship and would only be let back in on a temporary visa.
  • Options
    Yeah.

He should have claimed that all "Australia" was his and that he had just as much claim to it as the "state". Now that would have caused some headaches.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Now that would have caused some headaches.

Only on strange message boards. The State would've ignored him I suspect.
  • Options
    ANd let him off his taxes?