Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Overdosing on Vitamins

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a few problems over the last year or so with my body's absorbtion of vitamins, specifically B12. This has all been sorted through my doctor, however I do now like to take vitamin supplements to ensure that I'm always getting enough of everything.

As it was B12 that caused the problems initially, I've been taking a separate B12 supplement off my own back in order to ensure that there's always plenty of it inside me. I've noticed however that the particular tablets I'm taking contain 50,000% of the RDA. I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any potential issues with taking such a high dosage of something on a daily basis, or if there's the possibility of 'overdosing' on some vitamins? I'm sure it's perfectly safe given that obviously many foods contain far more than the RDA of many vitamins, but it has concerned me a little lately.

Comments

• Options
    Not really sure to be honest mate. I think it will cause a problem if you take to much over a certain length of time. I did just read that:

"Vitamin B-6

Ingesting more than 400 mg a day (200 times the RDA) can cause numbness in the mouth and hands and difficulty in walking"

http://chemo.net/newpage35.htm

I reckon you should phone up the NHS Direct (0845 4647) and see if they can give you a little more info.
  • Options
    "B12 has very low toxicity and high intakes are not thought to be dangerous."

From here
  • Options
    Ta very much. :thumb:
  • Options
    Vitamin B-12, like vitamin C, is water soluble which means you piss it right out. The vitamins you have to worry about are the fat/oil soluble (vitamins A, D, E) because they stay in your system longer and aren't as easily expelled as the water soluble vitamins.
  • Options
    Also B12 isnt all that easy to absorb through the stomach, so some of that 50,000% might well just go straight through you and out the other side without ever being absorbed.
  • Options
    There's quite a lot of controversy about vitamin and mineral supplements at the moment. A new legislation is coming in around August, which will make loads of them illegal. This article explains it all a bit more - I guess what it boils down to is many differences of opinion. I'd make an appointment with your GP and see if they can help you out more by explaining what these levels mean and exactly how much your body needs.
  • Options
    I thought that piece of legislation has been stalled and probably wont go ahead.
  • Options
    Ah really? sorry i didn't realise - will look into it cos it's an interesting one.
  • Options
    I'll try and find some news about it, but I'm fairly sure that I heard on radio 4 that it was stalled at the moment.

Ta da! Here it is;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4411929.stm
  • Options
    Interesting stuff.
    I'd make an appointment with your GP and see if they can help you out more by explaining what these levels mean and exactly how much your body needs.

Oh I've been there and done that! Two blood tests led to five direct injections of B12 over two weeks at the beginning of this year as for whatever reason, my body hasn't been absorbing it as well as it should when injested. I have however been advised to keep my levels up even if it isn't being absorbed properly and while I do eat plenty of the right foods, it's best to be safe.
  • Options
    Thats probably why you have been given such massive doses then, just to make sure that some of it is absorbed.

You can get B12 in liquid form which you put under your tounge and is absorbed that way, its a mid point between tablets and getting it injected.