Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rich Kid's NHS Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A great grandmother, Muriel Roe (83) from Norwich, was told to find a new GP after 79 years with the same surgery.

Reason - the practice was overwhelmed by too many new patients!

Labour just haven't got the message have they, the NHS is in crisis and throwing money at it isn't the answer.

In 1997 Phoney Blair promised, "The NHS is only safe in Labour's hands" :)

In 2001 Phoney promised "excellent services for all" :)

What went wrong Phoney?????
    I'll tell you - he put targets before patients, because he's more concerned about image than real substance - meanwhile patients continue to suffer!
  • Options
    Do you think that a single person on this board is going to be so stupid as to form an opinion on the state of the NHS based on a single case or two you choose to pick?

And indeed, are the Tories so stupid as to think the nation will be duped by similar tactics?

The reason we don't list good examples is because there are hundreds of thousands every month- as opposed to 1 or 2 bad ones.

Back to Central Office to think of a new strategy "Rich Kid"!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Do you think that a single person on this board is going to be so stupid as to form an opinion on the state of the NHS based on a single case or two you choose to pick?

And indeed, are the Tories so stupid as to think the nation will be duped by similar tactics?

The reason we don't list good examples is because there are hundreds of thousands every month- as opposed to 1 or 2 bad ones.

Back to Central Office to think of a new strategy "Rich Kid"!

To be honest it worked for Labour when they were in opposition
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    To be honest it worked for Labour when they were in opposition
    Does that make it good politics though? They were in opposition for 18 years afterall. ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Then let me offer you over 300 health issues to look at where Labour has fouled up!
    http://www.labour-watch.com/health.htm
    Enjoy!!!! :)
  • Options
    All I can see Rich Kid is a collection of headlines, many being just unfounded claims, completely irrelevant or no longer available, compiled by an organisation called "Labour Watch".

Yep. I can see how this proves everything you've been claiming...
  • Options
    The Tories would privatise as much as they could get away with and simply pass the buck.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    All I can see Rich Kid is a collection of headlines, many being just unfounded claims, completely irrelevant or no longer available, compiled by an organisation called "Labour Watch".

Yep. I can see how this proves everything you've been claiming...
    Scroll down and open up a few! You'd be amazed and sickened!! Warning- you might be best of first buying a sick bag and having it close to hand!!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Scroll down and open up a few! You'd be amazed and sickened!! Warning- you might be best of first buying a sick bag and having it close to hand!!

a quick glance show a lot less for 2004/5 than 2000-2003 - any idea why that might be?

anything to do with sustained investment from 1997 begining to have an impact?

is there a comparable table for the last 18 years?
  • Options
    Looking at the Defence ones it struck me that they were a mixture of mostly accurate stories and spin, with there being a preponderance of Telegraph stories. Don't get me wrong I like the Telegraph (and buy it daily), but its not a big fan of Labour.

There doesn't seem to be any consisteny either. Some of the stories are more properly the fault of civil servants, some are the inevitable problems of going to war and some are probably fair criticism.

However you'd need to know a bit about the subject to say which are which. And I guess the same is true of the health section.
  • Options
    The only reason nurses from Asia and other countries are being imported is because we don't, and won't, pay a living wage to nurses from this country. This is a new form of 21st century slavery. Britain abolished the Atlantic slave trade. Let's not start a new version!
  • Options
    It's NOTHING like the slave trade you nasty little person. They get the same rights and wages every other nurse does.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The only reason nurses from Asia and other countries are being imported is because we don't, and won't, pay a living wage to nurses from this country. This is a new form of 21st century slavery. Britain abolished the Atlantic slave trade. Let's not start a new version!

are you saying that a nurse's salary isnt enough to live on?

my mother and most of her friends are nurses. fair enough, her salary is only part of our family's income, but many of her friends live a comfortable middle class life, supporting themselves and their children on a nurse's salary
  • Options
    are you saying that a nurse's salary isnt enough to live on?

my mother and most of her friends are nurses. fair enough, her salary is only part of our family's income, but many of her friends live a comfortable middle class life, supporting themselves and their children on a nurse's salary
    For the job they do they should be paid more. They are the backbone of the NHS and unselfishly have dedicated themselves to caring for others on what are realtively speaking modest wages.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    For the job they do they should be paid more. They are the backbone of the NHS and unselfishly have dedicated themselves to caring for others on what are realtively speaking modest wages.
    You could say all that about porters, technicians, receptionists, medical secretaries, junior doctors, phlebotomists, administrators etc....all of whom are paid less than your average nurse.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You could say all that about porters, technicians, receptionists, medical secretaries, junior doctors, phlebotomists, administrators etc....all of whom are paid less than your average nurse.
    and CLEANERS! Wouldn't disagree.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Not often NHS employees these days old chap. Keep up. ;)
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

And you'd be willing to pay higher taxes for this? :eek2:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    A great grandmother, Muriel Roe (83) from Norwich, was told to find a new GP after 79 years with the same surgery.

Before I read any further on this thread, I have to comment on this.

Her GP must be seriously fucking old then.

Oh, hang on, her GP will have changed during that time at least once. Possibly several times. So tell me again, what is the actual problem here?

Oh, and do you have a source for the story...?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Then let me offer you over 300 health issues to look at where Labour has fouled up!

But no challenge from you on the bottom two stories - the first I looked at - when I showed that they didn't actually have anything bad about Labour in them. In fact one actually supported the huge investment which the Govt had put in.

Care to comment there, I think you find it on the second page of this thread. Enjoy!!!

*is off to the website to find more to debunk..."
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Ah, the only people employed by Private Business.

Good one to pick, thanks.
  • Options
    Chaos lays bare Downing Street claims about NHS

A Torygraph story which doesn’t actually have much negative to say about the NHS, at least not that I could find. Although it did say that there has been an increase in “managers” and that 59% of the increase in funding has gone in wages. Given Rich Kids comment above about people not being paid enough, I’m sure he would support this.

Oh, the story does say that waiting times have dropped and that most patients wait less than four hours in A&E…

"I am terrified by the current political targets. The situation is dangerous and intolerable"

Interesting, to someone who has worked on the A&E programme that looks more like poor management to me, rather than a problem with the target. Me thinks the Torygraph (for it is they again) seem to think that how someone achieves the target is the fault of the person who sets it. I worked in a hospital which achieve it’s A&E targets a year ago without many of the problems mentioned in this story. Does that mean that the targets worked for us?

Targets can kill

Well it’s starting to look like Rich Kids favourite website only has one source of information, for this is another story from the Torygraph.

Interestingly is starts with a bit of a moan that a poorly performing hospitals is being held to account by the PM Delivery Unit. Is that actually a bad thing – people being held accountable?

Anyway, I liked this comment “The truth is that meeting the Government's targets simply produces managers - such as the notorious "emergency pathway co-ordinators"”. I’ve heard of this type of post in other hospitals, personally I never thought that they were any use. But what the Torygraph misses is that mostly these posts are filled by… wait for it… nursing staff. Not managers, but senior nursing staff.

Revealed: the memos that prove No 10 puts NHS targets before the safety of patients

Anyone still reading will be pleased to note that this story comes from the ever reliable Torygraph. If you have bothered to read the links you will have noticed that they all say the same thing, often with the same quotes and are written by the same person. Now I wouldn’t suggest that lazy journalism is evident here, but anychance of something new?
  • Options
    Nurses don't come into the profession for money! It would be nice to get paid fairly for the job we do.

But we are not going to have a mass-walkout over it!

Mon the nurses!!!
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Nurses don't come into the profession for money!
    Yeah, many do. Talk to your colleagues. In fact, it's become a decent career with the introduction of professional qualifications and nurse consultancy. Nurses are fairly paid. Look at the bursaries you get for training!!
  • Options
    "Yeah, many do. Talk to your colleagues"

I have! I suppose everyone will say they don't get paid what they deserve!

"Nurses are fairly paid"

Disagree there! If you look at the equivalent for other public sector workers:

Occupation
    Starting Salary
    After 5 years

Police Officer
    18,666*

Teacher

FireFighter
    17,895**

Newly Qulaified Nurse

*After 31 weeks initial training the salary is upgraded to £20,838.

** After 6 months and in 2nd year the salary increases to £18,700

Nursing Assistant -SVQ II and III needed to attain maximum point- Between £10,050 and £13,920

Social Work Assistant
    - SVQ Levels II and III in care work.- Typical salary range between £15,582 to £16,866 (AP2)

The figures speak for themselves [they are a couple of years old]. Agreed with the implementation of Agenda for Change and the harmonising of all non medical and dental staff onto a single pay system is good. The minimum wage for a nurse under Band 5 of AfC will be ~ £18,500 with the possibility of earning in excess of £80,000.

Nurses are taking on extended roles as a result of the European Working Time Directive on the number of hours JHO's can work, yet this is not reflected in the pay or progression up the bands in AfC. Who thought in the medical circle 20 years ago that some nurses could prescribe independently, without a medic? Who thought that nurses would be carrying out procedures and surgery?

Don't start on the bursary :p We get this because we have an academic year of 45 weeks and are unable to work during term time as well as holidays as the EWT directive applies! And before you say anything about med students having long years as well, the country is dying for nurses [pun intended]. Not all students get the full bursary, because England and Wales has a crap system!! So glad to be Scottish.....

Mon the nurses!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Nurses don't come into the profession for money!

That sounds like a generalisation but I`m curious.What do "they" come into the profession for ?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    That sounds like a generalisation but I`m curious.What do "they" come into the profession for ?seeker
    To care for people. In my view they're saints, they make one feel very humble.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    "Nurses are taking on extended roles as a result of the European Working Time Directive on the number of hours JHO's can work, yet this is not reflected in the pay or progression up the bands in AfC. Who thought in the medical circle 20 years ago that some nurses could prescribe independently, without a medic? Who thought that nurses would be carrying out procedures and surgery?
    Putting in a venflon or prescribing drugs which can be bought over the counter does not a doctor make. Do get over yourself. Do doctors get increased pay when they learn a new procedure? Do they hell. They get on with the job.
    Don't start on the bursary :p We get this because we have an academic year of 45 weeks and are unable to work during term time as well as holidays as the EWT directive applies! And before you say anything about med students having long years as well, the country is dying for nurses [pun intended].
    I've been reading about it. In the booklet they give an example of a student nurse getting £17k to train (tax free of course). The NHS bursary for medical and dental students is about 2 grand and is means tested to the point of being worthless for the majority of my colleagues. It's an absolute disgrace.

I do the same hours as you (probably more) and get sweet FA. We'll both be working for the NHS and probably doing the same job by the time nurses have cherry picked all of the simple and satisfying procedures, leaving medics with the shit. Who do you call when it all goes wrong? With whom does the buck stop? Yep, the doctor.
  • Options
    I am not talkking about "new procedures", for example discharge, assessment, DNR orders [not yet], prescribing etc. Not only pay to reflect these responsibilities but the proper progression up the bands.

"or prescribing drugs which can be bought over the counter"

Emm.....no! ENP's can presribe certain "Prescription only drugs".

The bursary for degree students in England and Wales is means tested! Therefore I suggest you read that booklet a bit closer. How many nursing vacancies compared to medical are there?

"It's an absolute disgrace"

I agree, one of the many reasons I was put off going to Med School.

"Who do you call when it all goes wrong? With whom does the buck stop? Yep, the doctor."

Of course it stops with the Doc, that is their job!! That is why you will spend 5 years at uni and I will spend 3 [well 4, but I will be qualified after 3]
  • Options
    Nice to see that you can truet the Tories with facts, numbers and not to use scarmongering tactis, isn't it[/sarcasm]

Tory Watch

So, although a letter goes out saying that 247 MRSA cases were reported in a hospital, the reality is that there were six. Care to check those figures again?

Tories say 247
    Reality = 6

Care to comment Rich Kid?