Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Degree to you Study for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
what university are you currently studying for and how do you find it? also where do you go and whats it like?

i am at the stage in education life where is have to make the big decision of the degree that i want to apply for.
i recently went to Queen Mary's Uni and it was a bit of a disapointment!!!

so please would you give some details regarding teh Degree!!!

particualy maths, Economics, Biology and accounting and finance
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm about to finish my fourth and final year of BSc(hons) Transport & Logistics Management at the University of Huddersfield.

I have been slightly dissatisfied with the degree if I'm honest. The title should be the other way around, as it deals far more with logistics than it does transport and there's a little bit too much emphasis on warehousing for my liking, which didn't really come accross in the course literature when we started. The value of the degree is also not quite as good as the university has had us believe. It is still an advantage with some organisations, but overall so few companies actually request specific degrees these days that much of the advantage is gone.

As for the university, personally I quite like it and chose it over Aston and Loughborough. There aren't many that offer this particular course, but Huddersfield has the highest teaching rating of all that do and the facilities are certainly up to standard, although I imagine plenty of other universities are far better. The downside of studying at a university such as this is the stigma people attach to you for going to a former polytechnic. That's irrelevant claptrap these days though, so I simply ignore it, as do most employers. This sort of university also attracts a lot of less academically minded students, which unfortunately can be detrimental to the experience here.

As a town, I quite like Huddersfield. It's not huge, but it has a vibrant bar culture and plenty to do during the day and in the evenings. For clubs and gigs though it's usually necessary to go further afield, but with Leeds 20 minutes away, Bradford 30 and Manchester 45 that's no trouble at all. All major cities in the area are accessable 24 hours a day also, which is very handy indeed! Studying in Huddersfield definitely gets the thumbs up from me! :)
  • Options
    I'm in my first year of studying politics at Exeter. The uni is pretty good and the town is pretty nice. The only setback is that Exeter apparantly doesn't have a good a nightlife as other places, but it seems fine to me!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I'm in my first year of studying politics at Exeter. The uni is pretty good and the town is pretty nice. The only setback is that Exeter apparantly doesn't have a good a nightlife as other places, but it seems fine to me!

do u go to timepiece? lol

I am currently reading pathology and microbiology at the University of Bristol [/university challenge voice]
  • Options
    Whats microbiology like? -just out of my own interest- Im starting the course next year in Queens Belfast.
  • Options
    erm... it's all biochemistry really (so cellular and molecular biology), just specific to microorganisms. A lot of work is on bacteria, and bacteriophages, but you also learn about all the medically important viruses, and protozoa. I do a lot of other units though, such as genetics, and they extend to eukaryotic organsisms as well, which broadens your prospects a bit (but again, is just another aspect of biochemistry). I don't think I'd like to do straight microbiology. On the practical side, I'm shit with microscopes and they all look the same
  • Options
    I have done 2 years (and am deferring this year) on a human resource degree at Northumbria uni. I love the city. and the course is OK, very little teacher contact, and no pressure to actually turn up at all, the projects are pretty varied and the emphasis definately on independant study. which isnt for everyone! but Newcastle rocks, I miss it lots and lots!!
  • Options
    ultrablue wrote:
    do u go to timepiece? lol

I am currently reading pathology and microbiology at the University of Bristol [/university challenge voice]

Occasionly. Yes, yes I do.
  • Options
    First year Criminology and Social Policy student at the University of Lincoln.
  • Options
    I'm 'studying' Ecology at Durham. I'm a bit bored of the place and the subject now if I'm honest. I've been doing a bit of teaching practice during the holidays and I feel as if I want to get on with training and a career. I'm considering Exeter for a PGCE actually. I should go down, visit and get a feel for the place.
  • Options
    Have you ever been out in Exmouth?!! hahaha

Im just finishing my degree in Education studies in Exmouth (part of plymouth uni) ive really enjoyed my time there. its mainly a teacher training college but they do other subjects too.
    its great if you want somewhere small, and want to be a person not just a number! the nightlife is not that exciting! but we tend to have a good time anyway and it isnt far from exeter anyway. :)
  • Options
    I went to SOAS - I did geography and middle eastern history - though i actually choose to go there because it had a good development studies course and i suddenly decided i didn't want to leave london. It was in the top 10 when i was there but i think its probably slipped a bit now - but in the development world SOAS is pretty much still the place to go. I really liked it as a place to learn and my courses were all really interesting - there wasn't really any night life though - there was a big drugs problem in the bar so it shut at 9 every night and there were like 3 evening events the whole time i was there.

Then i did an MSc at Imperial, but i wasn't at the central london campus but in Wye in kent, it was lovely it was really small and agricultural - which was good seeing as i was studying agriculture - we got to go out and play with cowes and stuff and it was in a beautifly little village and was a lovely campus, thought the night life was obv severly limited to like 3 pubs and the coop. The rest of imperial though i kind of got the impression was majorly up itself and on a parr with oxford and cambridge - and most people who i have met from there have thoght they were sligltly superiour to everyone else going to such a good uni.

Err so i'd say, its probably beter to pick a uni that has a combination of not only good teaching for the subject you want but also that you like the feel of - i went to sussex which has an excllent repuation for developmenty type things and hated the feel on the open day.
  • Options
    how do you guys decide what degree to go for? i am stuck on deciding waht to do and its really geting to me.
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    how do you guys decide what degree to go for? i am stuck on deciding waht to do and its really geting to me.

well i looked at my as results, and business studies was by far my best subject, so just looked into a few different business courses, and picked one i figured would be easiest, i guess going for most interesting would make more sense, but im lazy!!

Also, as i wasnt sure what i wanted with my future, I wish now I had gone for business management or business studies instead of human resource management, as it would have kept me on a much broader spectrum and my options more open. so thats what Id say to you, if your not sure what you want to do, go broad, maybe with a joint honours or something.

Oh, and remember u have to live where you study, so make sure you see the city and the campus and that it is the kind of place that you see yourself being happy,

good luck!!!
  • Options
    vmong wrote:

I chose my favourite A level subject and thought I'd make a career of it somehow, though I was unsure of what I wanted to do specifically.

My advice would be not to discount subjects you've not done before or those which don't seem like a natural progression from the choices you've already made. Oh, and if need be; most universities will allow you to change your course if you find there's something else you like when you're there.
  • Options
    I found my course by simply flicking through loads of prospectuses with my friends when I was in the sixth form. I hadn't been aware my course existed prior to that, but I came accross it, figured it was a subject I was interested in and decided to find out a bit more about it.
  • Options
    I'm currently doing Computer Systems at Manchester Met. Wouldn't recommend anyone to go to the uni really, lecturers are rubbish, but absolutely love my course and Manchester.

Had previously started a maths degree at Newcastle uni and Business Studies at Northumbria. Quit both of those because they weren't for me, although I loved Newcastle to bits.
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    particualy maths, Economics, Biology and accounting and finance

Warwick! That's where I have my sights set on going for maths! London school of economics wouldn't be a bad choice for the others you've got up there either. Biology is a bit of an odd one out :p but you can do biology and maths somewhere probably :)
  • Options
    vmong wrote:

I highly recommend you pick something very specific.

I did Business Studies Degree and it's too broad you don't learn enough of anyone thing to be of use to you in real life

Where as one guy I know studied Business in the Food Industry and they taught him business, accounting, even cooking .. when he graduated all the big supermarkets were lining up to employ him in managerial type roles.
  • Options
    well i chose education studies because i know i want to go into teaching or something within education. if you are not sure what you want to do, maybe you should consider thinking about a gap year so you can have time to decide and not start a course that you really dont want to do.
    or maybe think of the subjects you enjoy or would find interesting.

good luck!
  • Options
    I'm in my first year studying music at Manchester. The course is really good and I've sort of always wanted to do music so there wasn't much of a decision to make! Manchester is a great city to be in because there's so much going on, especially loads of gigs.
  • Options
    In my first year of Accounting & Finance at Oxford Brookes University. I always found maths easy but wanted to do something that would lead into a career rather than maths which would still leave me wondering what to do next. Course is good and Oxford is a great city!
  • Options
    dizzzy, what id the course like and is there a lot of pure maths involved? and how is the amths applied in accounting and finance?
  • Options
    The course is good. Its modular so you get to choose what you do. I've chosen the modules that give maximum exemption from the acca exams. In the first year you do some business modules too. There maths isn't really complicated, just balance sheets, profit and loss accounts etc.
  • Options
    Im at huddersfield doing environmental biology.

I decided just by looking through different prospectses and i knew that i would probably enjoy it due to the high practical and fieldwork content on the corse
  • Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    Im at huddersfield doing environmental biology.

I decided just by looking through different prospectses and i knew that i would probably enjoy it due to the high practical and fieldwork content on the corse

You're doing my degree (more or less), but where I went to Sixth form. It's a small world, after all.
  • Options
    Spanish and Russian at University of Bristol.

I'd really recommend Bristol as it's a wicked town and an awesome uni (well, for what I'm studying - I really wouldn't know about other subjects). However, it is the most popular uni in the country as far as applicants for places go.
  • Options
    I'm studying social anthropology with spanish and am in my first year at kent uni. Have truly begun to loath spanish so have changed my degree to Soc Anthropology with social policy, so it leaves my options open for social care when i leave. To be honest i'm finding uni incredibly boring and a waste of time, irregardless of all my mates. The only thing keeping me here is the prospect of a degree and the higher wages. If zard wasn't moving up i would seriously consider leaving. I just fell like my life is on hold and that uni in general and the course are over-rated.

But i would definetly say (like ginner) don't be afraid to chose a course that you have no previous knowledge with. Don't feel just like you studied something at A levels and did ok that you can't study something completely different at uni. I think someone else mentioned that just becasue you have an interest in something doesn't mean you are going to enjoy studying it in depth.
  • Options
    i did a year and a bit of fashion design at bretton hall (when it was still a seperate college to leeds) and then (for reasons i don't entirely understand) i transferred, and did creative writing at leeds (but at the bretton hall campus - post merger).

my two penneth is not to let people try to tell you that taking an unusual (or mickey mouse, as i get a lot from bored science/maths students) course is a bad thing. i got a graduate job within 2 months of graduating, and a lot of my mates who did more traditional degrees are still looking after nearly a year. if anything, i would say my degree helps me, cause my (now) boss says it made me sound interesting, and is a good talking point in interviews.
  • Options
    im in my second year at Leicester doing communications and society.
  • Options
    I'm in my first year studying Veterinary Science at Bristol and, quite simply, I love it :yes: