Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Law

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
say someone was caught with some pills on them, what would be the punishment? and what ammount would be classed as personal use?

Comments

• Options
    Don't quote me but I've been told by a couple of people that 4 or less is considered personal use, and more than that it's possession with intent to supply. Though like I said that figure may be wrong.

Pills have the same laws as every other class A drug, 7 years (plus a possible fine) for possession, life imprisonment (plus a possible fine) for supply. Though it's fairly safe to say pills don't have as high a priority on the police's agenda as say crack or cocaine so it's unlikely you'll be sentenced to such extents.

I got caught with about 10-11 pills on me, very late 2002 and nothing ever came about that. Someone I know got caught with several thousand pills in their home (early morning raid, I think it was around 4,000) and he got 7 years.

Obviously the higher the quantity you're caught with, the higher the punishment is going to be. Though it's likely to be more lenient than if you were caught with the same monetary amount of crack or whatnot.

If you're caught with a small amount chances are you'll get a 'slap on the wrist', fine or a very small spell inside.
  • Options
    All depends on the amount your caught with, a couple of pills and nothing will probably come of it but if you get caught with over 50 or so of them your looking at sometime in prison. Someone i know recently got caught with 97, 3g's of coke and a lump of hash inside a club, i think he's going to get somewhere between 2-5 years.
  • Options
    you arent looking for a specific amount, more a region in which the police would be willing to prosecute on different charges.

You have to be aware of circumstance as well.
  • Options
    what time you are caught is also probably significant - 6 or 7 might be okay at 8pm on a friday evening, but the same number at 2am on saturday could be a different story.

as Martin_B says you have to be aware of all the circumstances
  • Options
    As a very very rough guide anything above 5 will get you in fairly serious trouble.

But its so up to the police at the time, if you get busted on a busy Friday night they may well just want you out of there as quick as possible, make you sign a caution and tell you to piss off.

If you get busted on a Wednesday afternoon they may not have better things to be doing.

If any of you do get busted though make sure you contact Release, they have expert lawyers who deal with drug cases all the time.