Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The League of Shame: record numbers of executions in 2004

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    yes thats true...all i can say is that England's borders haven't changed since 1066...making it the oldest country in the world...officially anyway...

Im not sure but I suspect that is not true.

I think the border with Scotland at least may well have fluctuated somewhat during this time..............
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Im not sure but I suspect that is not true.

I think the border with Scotland at least may well have fluctuated somewhat during this time..............

aye berwick and all that craic but you see where i'm coming from...countries like france and germany and all that had thousands of miles wiped off their borders and given back over the centuries...
  • Options
    Indeed..........
  • Options
    "Originally Posted by NQA
    It would be a bit complex to go through the whole history of England/Scotland and the United Kingdom. But basically it came into being in the old Kingdom of Wessex. When is a bit more complex, but I'd go for King Alfred being the first King of England and it is from his time you can trace the modern British state."

Ok. Cool

We now know that at one time the country didn't exist and now it does.

How was it created and how does it continue to be?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    We now know that at one time the country didn't exist and now it does.

In very simple term those in power pointed to a map and said 'That bit is Britain' and it was.

Given that no one stronger has said 'nope, thats called France' it continues to be Britain.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

no one really knows for sure but i guess people who live in a certain area who share common traditions and rituals..even a common dialect which is different to people from a different area who have different traditions and dialect...these borders could've been made to differentiate between the two...also land property and ownership comes into it...this is your land...this is mine...this land belongs to my tribe...this belongs to your tribe...form then all the laws and whatever have followed...thats my thesis anyway...
  • Options
    "In very simple term those in power pointed to a map and said 'That bit is Britain' and it was.

Given that no one stronger has said 'nope, thats called France' it continues to be Britain."

So the fact is that it's a fictional construct imposed by those with the most force. I am reading you right am I?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So the fact is that it's a fictional construct imposed by those with the most force. I am reading you right am I?

well is everything not a fictional construct...you define real as something you can see, feel, touch, etc etc...if you leave the room you're in...is it still there..yes it is...but you can't see it...now we could all draw a line on the borders but thats stupid...countries are real because they're real...simple as...
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Capital punishment has been going on forever

And graveyards are full of innocent people killed in horrifically brutal ways because the judicial system got it wrong.
    I am glad that now we have DNA testing to prove when people are guilty.

DNA testing is not infallible, even assuming a police force that do not plant evidence or forge evidence in order to secure a conviction.