Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Incredulous Quote of the week...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Canadian Veterinary Association stated that 98% of seals are clubbed in a humane manner

that was a quote from this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4406665.stm

i find this absolutely the most absurd statement i've heard in a long time.

Comments

• Options
    LOL thts quite a good one. Maybe they just clubbed them very gently with a padded club over a long period of time, so they didnt notice it. Or maybe they talked soothingly to them to calm them before beating them around the head.
    or maybe they killed them softly with their song?
  • Options
    i think something like that....he was run over in the correct manner consistent with enlgish law...the acid poured onto the face of the acused was of the usual regulartory strength for a car battery...

whats next eh?
  • Options
    I dont know enough about seal clubbing to be able to comment really, there could well be a way of doing it which leads to an instant and painless death, thus making it as humane as possible.
  • Options
    i think they should just JACK UP MDMA! :D
  • Options
    I just dont think you lot know enough about seal clubbing to comment.

Whether you believe in a cull at all is another matter.
  • Options
    i think someone is taking the piss...
  • Options
    No, I'm serious, exactly how much do you know about the cull and how its done?

How much do you know about killing seals?

Disagree with the cull if you want, that, as I said is a seperate issue, but this could be humane. You dont know.
  • Options
    Ifaw's Canadian director, Phyllis Campbell-McRae, says it is simply barbaric and cruel.

"Bashing them over the head is akin to smacking a puppy on the head with a hammer. Autopsy evidence and veterinary reports prove that many of these animals are still alive at the point when they are skinned," she says.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but if you wacked a puppy with a hammer it would die wouldnt it.

Its an ugly picture certainly, but the question is how quick they die, not how they look.
  • Options
    Re. "Incredulous Quote of the week... "
    that was a quote from this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4406665.stm

i find this absolutely the most absurd statement i've heard in a long time.
    Martin Bashir, I think you are very confused about the meaning of the word 'incredulous'.

Credulous = gullible, believing
    Incredulous = disbelieving, not gullible, sceptical

Perhaps you meant to say that it was incredible - i.e., not believable.
  • Options
    i missed a comma after the word incredulous in the title.

I am well aware of the meaning of this term thankyou
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Um... clubbing in a humane manner would have to be an instant kill.

Why not shoot 'em in the head? Thats humane, instant death. Never understood it...
  • Options
    I think it's to do with preserving the pelt as well. But hitting hard enough is as quick as a bullet to the head. Cave in the skull and squish the inside.
  • Options
    Only if you hit them accurately it is. Otherwise being shot is a very slow painful death.

And given that MAFF marksmen during ther foot & mouth epidemic couldn't hit a cow from ten paces, I'm not all that optimistic about their aim.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Their aim is really that bad? :shocking:

Lethal injection dart gun, then.
  • Options
    I dunno, instant death through brain being caved in, or slowly asphyxiating because someone's injected Pancuronium bromide into my arse. It's a muscle relaxant that is given in a dose that stops breathing by paralyzing the diaphragm and lungs. You need an anesthetic first, or you die horribly.

ETA: anyway, it's a whole cocktail of drugs, not just one. Why not just bash someone's head in?
  • Options
    Why don't they go round with Samurai swords beheading them? Sorry, not exactly a constructive post :chin:

They have those gun things that you press against the head and it fires a bolt, instant kill.
  • Options
    They have those gun things that you press against the head and it fires a bolt, instant kill.

More expense for no added benefit.
  • Options
    And of course, the pelts are useful. It's also about preserving the resources.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying they'd rather club them than shoot them because shooting them ruins the fur? If that is the case, those responisble should be skinned themselves.

I don't have a problem with the culling if it is really needed (though I suspect they're going a bit OTT with the proposed numbers). However I do have a problem with the methods used if it causes suffering. According to many clubbing is a cruel and slow way of killing seals, and many are in fact still alive when they're skinned.

BBC article
  • Options
    I accoring to many others it's quick and painless. TBH I don't think any of us know enough to realistically comment, as has been said out already. I'm only pointing out that method's line up with what they want from a seal. From what I know, which isn't much, they hit it round the head, which is a quick way to kill someone, or at least remove conciousness so that there is no pain until death, because it preserves the pelt, which probably has many uses.