Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

post gets the last rites

Pope John Paul II has been given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church as his health deteriorates, a Vatican source tells CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/03/31/pope1/index.html
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gutted.
  • Options
    What are the "last rites"?
  • Options
    http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=last%20rites

what you get when you are about to die basically
  • Options
    I know nothing about this, but I am guessing its sad..?
    Poor Pope.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    What are the "last rites"?

you must be joking me...i thought that was common knowledge...even outside the catholic community...maybe not then

i don't think the man has much longer left on this earth...his easter speech was really emotional...even though i hate the catholic church for it's abuse...i feel i will always have a tie to it cos i was brought up as one so yea...feel sorry for the dude...
  • Options
    i'm not the pope's greatest fan, but i have watched someone die from advanced parkinsons and respiratory distress, and it's really horrid. so i hope it's quick and painless.

eta: ok, it's as quick and painless as dying horribly can be.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you must be joking me...i thought that was common knowledge...even outside the catholic community...maybe not then

Maybe it's to do with the fact that my English doesn't cover all areas? Especially not the morbid ones ;)
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Maybe it's to do with the fact that my English doesn't cover all areas? Especially not the morbid ones ;)

haha...wow you actually made me laugh :)
  • Options
    The astonishment...
    Wasn't supposed to be funny really, but yeah, a smile never hurt anyone.
  • Options
    :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm... Poor old chappy. Not Suprising though, but sad none the less.

Wow... new Pope. This is going to be Mighty odd, I always linked hte word "Pope" to his face.
  • Options
    i really hope they get an African or Southern American Pope, it'll bring a breath of fresh air and hopefully change and reform into an ailing church, it's in these areas where the church is growing the most, all these reactionary italian Popes just make the Church look old and outdated, i suppose it's the same situation as the Tory party...
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm sure the current Pope is Polish. And I don't think an African pope would tend to be progressive, as it's the African churches that tend to be the most conservative and anti gay equality (at least in the Anglican church).

he is polish but it was 400 years before him that it was a non-italian one...and the current Italian candidate...can't recall his name now but he is one reactionary c*nt...well even if an African Pope is conservative i'm sure it'll encourage new blood into the church and i'm sure reform would follow soon...not our lifetime but sometime maybe...
  • Options
    Of all the '3 frontrunners', probably the best choice would be the black fella. I was reading a profile of on them and he appears to be a relatively progressive chap whose first priority would be tackling poverty in Africa and elsewhere (as opposed to, say, concerning himself chiefly with homosexuality, cohabitation and abortion as others have done).

Then again, seeing what happened to Paul I, anyone with progressive agendas would be well advised to decline the post.
  • Options
    The next Pope should undoubtedly come from SOuth America, that is where the majority of the worlds Catholics live now.
  • Options
    "Post" gets last rites?

Didn't think it was that bad... ;)

Just remember guys, a change isn't always a good thing...
  • Options
    erm lets have "Pope Idol" and vote live on tv
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    erm lets have "Pope Idol" and vote live on tv

thats a good idea...i reckon i'd make a good pope :angel:
  • Options
    looks like he be getting worse, with shallow breathing
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Another one bites the dust.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Some reports in italian media say he is dead but Reuters, BBC etc havent confirmed anything.
  • Options
    bbc just said hes dead according to people in irc
  • Options
    People are asking "is he dead yet, is he dead yet" as if he were nothing more than some fictional character in a soap. Am I the only one who finds this utterly sick? :mad:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Am I the only one who finds this utterly sick? :mad:

Nope. I've just spent the evening on the road, listening to five live. Talking about overkill. Judging by the endless chatter you'd think he'd already died. He they even started talking about what kind of man he "had been".

I think the word should have been "is". :mad:

The other thing is that I've seen people go on for weeks like this...
  • Options
    Oh come on, no matter our views on the Pope or Catholicism, he is important to many people all over the world [1 Billion keeps getting rattled about - that is 1/6th of the world].

A man [important to many] is dying.
  • Options
    Yes, the Pope is a very important man to millions of people around the world. But come on - do we really need minute-by-minute updates about his condition?
  • Options
    Minute by minute but saying the same thing...

You are right Panthro, he is important to millions. It's why I think they should show him some respect. Give the man some dignity and privacy in his last moments.

Fucking media.
  • Options
    You are right Panthro, he is important to millions. It's why I think they should show him some respect. Give the man some dignity and privacy in his last moments. Fucking media.
    Exactly. Don't they have anything else they can report on in the meantime? For example, there was an earthquake a few days ago - maybe they could tell us about what's happening there now, about efforts to save those people? I wouldn't mind being told what was going on there. This is not to say the Pope is unimportant - far from it - but this is not the only thing going on at the moment.