Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anti Gay healthcare legislation passed in Michigan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    It makes a mockery of the so called 'freedoms' there.
  • Options
    There was a minister for health or whatever they call it who was actually a far right bishop who was strongly anti-abortion. Don't know if he's still in power, but you know...
  • Options
    it's actually quite amazing when you think about it. The Republican Party is one of the most effective in the world right now. In the last election every major swing state had an amendment to the state constitution banning gay marriage. This helped to bring out all the religious nuts and changed the outcome of the election.

"congratulations America, we rocked the vote, and smeared the queers!"

Can't say i'm very proud of my country at the moment. :grump:
  • Options
    it's actually quite amazing when you think about it. The Republican Party is one of the most effective in the world right now. In the last election every major swing state had an amendment to the state constitution banning gay marriage. This helped to bring out all the religious nuts and changed the outcome of the election.

"congratulations America, we rocked the vote, and smeared the queers!"

Can't say i'm very proud of my country at the moment. :grump:

If you're to beleive the conspiracy theories people who voted for John Kerry were more likely to have their vote discounted :/ but that's all conspiracy theories. Everyone loves a good hate anyway, look how Hitler brought all the Germans together. With a bit of spin Bush could easily lead a campaign against homosexuality altogether.
  • Options
    I didn't realise doctors in the US were allowed to break their hippocratic oaths so publicly...

I don't know the oath well enough, but the proposed law does not allow the doctor to refuse emergency treatment which cover it I think.

I have a problem with this law, doctors are not supposed to be moral guardians. End Of.
  • Options
    I fear the United States more and more. It worries me to think what it will be like in four years time.
  • Options
    Story

I didn't realise doctors in the US were allowed to break their hippocratic oaths so publicly...

This story obviously follows on from doctors and pharmacists being allowed to refuse to fill Pill prescriptions on the grounds that it's a form of abortion. Personally, I would think that contraception would be a pro-lifer's best friend but there you go.

I am ever glad that I don't live in America.

Astonishing!

Medical staff picking and choosing who and how they provide treatment? Only in America :rolleyes: .
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I fear the United States more and more. It worries me to think what it will be like in four years time.
    I'm just waiting for them to rename it Gilead.
  • Options
    Or Jesusland.
  • Options
    Why should docters treat gays if they do not want to? I certainly would not. There is nothing in their contracts stating they have to offer treatment to this type of people, it is their human right to refuse.

"the bills promote the constitutional right to religious freedom"

:yes:
  • Options
    Why should docters treat gays if they do not want to? I certainly would not.
    Well there's a surprise.
    There is nothing in their contracts stating they have to offer treatment to this type of people
    "This type of people"?

:yes:
    No, it promotes stupidity, prejudice, ignorance, bigotry and homophobia.
  • Options
    I always thought Doctors had to treat everyone without exception. its not the only job where your professional obligations have to take precedence over your personal feelings.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, it promotes stupidity, prejudice, ignorance, bigotry and homophobia.

But is it not their human right to refuse?
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    But is it not their human right to refuse?
    No - by becoming Doctors they sacrified that bit of their human rights.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I always thought Doctors had to treat everyone without exception. its not the only job where your professional obligations have to take precedence over your personal feelings.

Not strictly true.

There are gynaecologists and anesthetists who will not carry out terminations, for example.

My understanding, as I said earlier, is that they cannot refuse emergency treatment. Kentish should be able to clarify this one. WHere is the bugger when you need him?
  • Options
    I hate homophobes, why is it anyone elses business who people choose to love? Gay, straight bi sexuality is fluid we just go with the flow.
  • Options
    All I can say is I think that's fucking stupid. Catholics aren't supposed to hate gay people, they're supposed to accept it but disagree with the actual sexual side of it. The fact that they can refuse treatement to me sounds like mass homophobia. Fucking Americans :rolleyes:
  • Options
    All I can say is I think that's fucking stupid. Catholics aren't supposed to hate gay people, they're supposed to accept it but disagree with the actual sexual side of it. The fact that they can refuse treatement to me sounds like mass homophobia. Fucking Americans :rolleyes:

:yes: Whatever happend to loving and accepting everyone? Isn't that what Jesus was trying to teach us?? FFS he was even friendly with a prostitute!
  • Options
    And do fuck all for my "type of people"'s right to health care. What if every doctor in Michigan refused to treat an HIV+ man because they found out he's gay and it wasn't an "emergency"? The guy's quality of life would be severely affected and the chances are he would develop AIDS more quickly and therefore die sooner. It's sick.
  • Options
    Not strictly true.

There are gynaecologists and anesthetists who will not carry out terminations, for example.

My understanding, as I said earlier, is that they cannot refuse emergency treatment. Kentish should be able to clarify this one. WHere is the bugger when you need him?

I think Kentish is on holiday.

I assume though if they agree to carry out terminations they can't withold them because they don't like the morals of the women. Correct me if I'm wrong but they wouldn't be able to refuse to carry out a termination on a woman who had a one night stand (because she's 'easy'), but carry them out on a married woman (because it was an accident within a committed relationship).
  • Options
    Those whom I have dealt with in the past refused on all counts.
  • Options
    Fucking Americans :rolleyes:

... :impissed:
  • Options
    ... :impissed:

I wouldn't take it personally, it's a common mistake of people on this forum for mistake some of the inadequate American government for the general American population - although it's more normally just a simplification, of rather saying GWB and his cronies, they say Americans.
  • Options
    meh i know it. It's just a little irritating when you consider that 49% of Americans spend most of the day swearing under our breaths (probably more).
  • Options
    Should have voted then ;)
  • Options
    lol, yeah to bad the voting age is 18 round these parts. :)
  • Options
    meh i know it. It's just a little irritating when you consider that 49% of Americans spend most of the day swearing under our breaths (probably more).

Probably more than that, if you take the discounted black votes into account ;)