Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can I change My IP adress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello is it possible to change my Ip adress
I would REALLY Really really appreciate any help,

Comments

• Options
    Depends on your connection type and your ISP.

In broad terms, you can't change your IP address yourself whilst you are connected, it's for your ISP to determine what your IP address is. However, within that, you can have either what is known as a dynmaic IP or you could have a static IP.

Dynamic IPs change. They will either change every time you connect or dial in to the internet, or they may change after 30 days, or 3 months, or whatever, but they change. However, you have no real control over the change.

Static IPs stay the same. The IP is unique to you and you will get it every time you dial in or connect to the net, regardless.

In order to change your static IP you would have to ask your ISP to do it for you.

To change (or attempt to change) your dynamic IP you could try dropping your connection and reconnecting, or using the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands from a dos shell.
  • Options
    Also, if your using a Dial up connection, Eg 56k it should be a dynamic Ip and they tend to change when you dial, mine did anyway,

If your unsure if its Dynamic/static get in contact with your ISP they can tell you. dont say I need to change my IP thought, ask if it's dynamic or Static
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Depends on your connection type and your ISP.
    In order to change your static IP you would have to ask your ISP to do it for you.

And they are not likely to do it because almost all of the reasons for wanting to change it are ecause you've been up to something you shouldn't.

Of course, if you change your ISP you will get a different IP address
  • Options
    all I'd say is that there is no really legimate reason to change it... people who change ip's tend to be those causing problems.

Stand by who you are and your IP, if you want to do something in public then be prepared to stand by it.
  • Options
    The only legit reason I can think of for wanting a change is if your IP is the victim of a continued DOS attack.

But then your ISP may well have noticed that anyway.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    That won't give you a new IP unless your have a dynamic address and it won't always change your static LAN IP either.

There are always proxy servers you can use to hide your IP but their often quite slow, slow unless you pay for a fast, private server. The thing I like about proxy software like The Proxomitron is the fact that you can strip HTTP referrer headers and hide your O/S, if I could find away of doing it without using crappy proxies I would be more than happy.
  • Options
    The thing I like about proxy software like The Proxomitron is the fact that you can strip HTTP referrer headers and hide your O/S, if I could find away of doing it without using crappy proxies I would be more than happy.

opera allows you to specify your headers, I believe.
  • Options
    yes opera only allows it if you follow means that would allow you to change it in any web browser, by hex editing scary files