Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone Done an Exchange Trip?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I might have the opportunity to do this thing were we go by train to Paris for 3 days and stay at the houses of god knows who - it's an exchange thing so they expect you to put them up when they come to London - anyone ever done this sort of thing? And if so how did it go?

I don't speak french either - so quite unsure about the whole thing .. LOL

Comments

• Options
    Well, whats the worst that could happen? You don't like the place, or the person. But its only for three days, so its not that bad. Plus, if you and this person don't get on or whatever, do you HAVE TO put them up at yours? Will you be legally bound to or something?

Plus, you don't need to speak French in Paris...its not like some random village full of natives.

Think of it as a good opportunity...a life changing experience? Maybe.
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you nuts? Parisiens will not speak english to you even if you're bleeding to death and asking for the nearest hospital. They are the most militant of the Thou Shalt Speak French When In France brigade.
    yup Parisiens are undoubtedly the worst.But then I certainly wouldn't pass up a trip to Paris even if I didn't speak french.
  • Options
    :(

<Crawls back under rock>
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you nuts? Parisiens will not speak english to you even if you're bleeding to death and asking for the nearest hospital. They are the most militant of the Thou Shalt Speak French When In France brigade.

I've done quite a few exchanges, mainly with german girls. Only one of them was a disater but that wasn't really anything to do with the exchange as such.
    Word....they hate anyone who speaks English. It's quite scary actually....
  • Options
    I might have the opportunity to do this thing were we go by train to Paris for 3 days and stay at the houses of god knows who - it's an exchange thing so they expect you to put them up when they come to London - anyone ever done this sort of thing? And if so how did it go?

I don't speak french either - so quite unsure about the whole thing .. LOL

I did it in school with some school guys from France. Was actually pretty good fun! They showed me around their town and their place was fucking HUGE. I mean like a mansion or something. They had like six bedrooms, four floors, three bathrooms, a stupidly huge telly, a kitchen the size of my flat etc. etc.

They could speak English enough to be able to have basic conversations as well :)