Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Excessive wind and flatulence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello there. I'm sure I've posted before with this problem, but I can't remember now. Anyway, I get lots of trapped gas in my stomach. Sometimes it's so bad my stomach 'expands' like I've been binge eating or something when in reality I haven't had anything to eat. I try to force myself to burp by swallowing air but that just seems to make it worse, and I have trouble forcing it out the other way. It can get really uncomfortable and honestly, it's really starting to affect my whole life, just for the fact I've had it so long. I went to the doctor about my stomach before and said I get stomach pains and he referred me to a counseller because I said it was associated with anxiety - which it is.

I never saw the counseller because talking to them ont he phone we both agreed it wasn't the only reason. I know that when you get 'butterflies' it makes your stomach do funny things, and feel this contributes towards the effect, but seriously, having as much gas as I do every day is a joke. Right now I can feel the pressure, at the moment it's at the sides of my belly, but it moves around as well. There are some times I'm sure I'm infested with some kind of Alien growing inside me :p (not really, because that's just silly, but that's what it feels like).

I hope I don't have this for the rest of my life. I have had it for at least a year now I think and I live very much by the thought that given enogh time your body will sort itself out. I don't want to be on constant decongestants or whatever.

It could be a food allergy, but I don't know. My doctor isn't helpful because he thinks I'm a hypercondriact (sp?) or is careful around me because my brother went to him with depression and he gave him anti-depressants and my brother tried to kill himself, and my mum has depression sometimes too, so he thinks I'm the same and so won't take me seriously.

It's not all the time, but right now I feel quite down because I've got a pain in my stomach and I can't do anything about it because it's trapped gas, I can tell it is. Any help very much appreciated.

Rich

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure what you can do about trapped gas tbh, but I would ask to see another Dr. Your Dr shouldnt be treating you with kid gloves just becuase of your family.

I think its so annoying when Dr's send you off for counselling because of things like this. Yea it *could* link with you anxiety but then you still need to have it treated properly as its causing you problems.
  • Options
    Wind-eze could help in the short term, it's relatively safe as a medicine, although the symptoms you describe could indicate IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

This is actually fairly common, and can cause feelings of bloatedness, among other things- it can be very painful for sufferers, but we don't really know what causes it. Some people suggest diet, although no conclusions have been drawn.

It is worth seeing another GP if your current one is being unhelpful, and asking for their opinion. You may be given a medicine called Spasmonal (Alverine Citrate) which will relax your gut muscles and may help relieve some of your symptoms.
  • Options
    I suffer from the same symptoms as you but am just too embarrassed to go to my doctor 'hey i have a lot of gas!' I can get really painful trapped gas that will have me crippled over. I really dunno what i could suggest, maybe go to a different doctor, seems like your regular doctor is a bit of an asshole! I had one who was, she blamed me for my mums depression and always gave me attitude whenever i went to her and she told me i have anger issues went i went to her for serious help. Changed doctors and got diagnosed properly. So my advice with the doctor is, don't like the one you have? Go to a different one! If they don't help, then go to another one coz you'll find one who will diagnose you properly and get your wind problem sorted out!
  • Options
    I have this problem too, but not as bad as urs. I get a really bloated stomach after eating- even if ive hardly eaten anything! I also get a lot of gas (which isnt really impressing my bf at the mo!). I try taking those chalky tablets to get rid of it but theyre not working. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    It could be a food intolerance.
    My husband has suffered with IBS for years, but a couple of years back, I saw an advert in Holland and Barrett for a food sensitivity testing service. He paid about £30 and they tested him with loads of different foods, testing the bodys electro magnetic response or something (he didnt have to actually eat all the different foods I mean).
    It turned out, theres a few things hes intolerant to, including beef, lettuce, oats, pilchards, kiwis and theres a few E numbers he cant have either - he would never have pinpointed those without the testing.
    Since he found this out, and eliminated them from his diet, his IBS hardly ever flares up, and if he ever eats any of the things hes sensitive to, he gets bloating, severe wind, and abdominal cramps.
    A lot of doctors wont test for these things because its not dangerous in the same way an allergy is, But It was certainly worth paying to getting the test done in this instance.
  • Options
    A lot of doctors wont test for these things because its not dangerous in the same way an allergy is, But It was certainly worth paying to getting the test done in this instance.
    That's interesting because I did a gastroenterology placement a couple of months ago and the consultants there were very skeptical indeed about these magic crystal type allergy tests. They aren't evidence based at all and are mostly a rip off.

That said, there are definite associations bewteen IBS type symptoms and different food types. Common aggravators are dairy products, red meat, alcohol, caffeine and citrus fruits. Also excess or too little fibre in the diet can cause symptoms.

So my advice would be to experiment with your diet to eliminate known aggravators.

And to whoever said being to for counselling was annoying, respectfully, you are talking out of your arse. Anxiety and functional symptoms such as bloating and flatulence are well associated.
  • Options
    try cutting out wheat and things wi gluten in
  • Options
    it wasnt an allergy test, it was a sensitivity test.
    As I said, he rarely gets IBS now, after having it really severely since he was 11. There are a lot of things that the medical profession are sceptical of, but that doesnt mean theres nothing in it. It worked in this instance.
  • Options
    try cutting out wheat and things wi gluten in
    That's only useful advice if you have Coeliac disease, which is best diagnosed by a doctor. ;)
  • Options
    iAs I said, he rarely gets IBS now, after having it really severely since he was 11.
    I believe you, don't get me wrong.

My only point was that he may have cut out an irritant food which was coincidentally pointed out by the quacks at Holland & Barrett. Sounds like they gave him a long list of insenstivities, which is rarely seen in reality. :)
  • Options
    Have you tried windeeze?
  • Options
    Might seem like a strange idea but have you tried actimel or something like that?

My mum complained that she was bloated for ages and she's felt better now she drinks that every day.

God I sound like that tv ad!!!!
  • Options
    have you recently changed your diet?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I believe you, don't get me wrong.

My only point was that he may have cut out an irritant food which was coincidentally pointed out by the quacks at Holland & Barrett. Sounds like they gave him a long list of insenstivities, which is rarely seen in reality. :)
    Maybe.
    There were a few there that he rarely ate beforehand such as pilchards and kiwis, so im not sure about them, but he did used to eat a lot of beef and oats are pretty hard to avoid, as is lettuce.
    If he eats any of these things now, he farts like a trooper for the next couple of days. It may be more than is seen in the majority of the population, but if he didnt have the problems, we wouldnt have forked out for the test. We werent WANTING him to be sensitive to foods. In fact its a pain in the arse (excuse the pun)
    I really dont think its a coincidence. They tested him for LOADS of stuff, came up with about 5 or 6 things he should avoid, and all of a sudden his IBS symptoms disappear. Its no coincidence. It was too dramatic an improvement.
  • Options
    I have exactly the same problem...sometimes my belly swells so much it looks like I'm pregnant!!

I usually notice it after eating alot of bread and pasta in one day. Try eating more vegetables and stuff like lentils and beans...they produce more of the 'good bacteria' that you get in the actimel style drinks, at first you may notice a more wind while your body gets used to it but it does help keep your system moving along nicely.

If its painful you should see your doctor and hopefully they can sort it out, if only to stop people asking 'whens it due?!?' :grump:
  • Options
    Rainbow Brite, was it a service offered by Holland and Barrett or were they promoting it for someone else? Any ideas where to find out more about it? (I had a quick look on their website just now but they don't appear to mention it).

My IBS is really flaring up at the minute - I'd been fine for months (nearly forgotten all about it!) and then I had one dodgy curry about 8 weeks ago and I'm still paying the price for it! Seems to have left with particularly sensitive to a lot of things :( Would be interesting to find out what exactly and £30-ish is hardly too much to pay if it means I can start getting on with life again!

ETA: I've been looking on the net since I wrote this - I've just found a company called Health Screening Ltd. which sound like they could have been the ones; it says they visit health shops and the alike. Am going to phone them on Tuesday to find out when they are next testing in my area. Could be the answer to everything! :)
  • Options
    Could be the answer to everything! :)
    Save your money.

Eat a healthy diet for 2 weeks, then come back to us.
  • Options
    I already do eat a reasonably healthy diet, thankyou. RB's husband proved sensitive to lettuce - said to be a healthy food, wouldn't you agree? Who knows what I could be sensitive to!
  • Options
    im not sure if its actually H&B or whether theyre just promoting it. Ill ask next time im in there for you.
  • Options
    Sorry, not sure if anyone had replied to my post or the original post but anyway... I don't think i have ibs coz i dont experience diarrohea (cant spell that word!) symptoms, so a food intolerance is could well b it. But sometimes, I get bloating and gas even if i havent eaten at all- like when im hungry and am due for a meal. Wil try and get some sort of test done tho.
  • Options
    You can have IBS and not have diarrhoea.

And IBS includes some types of food intolerance.
  • Options
    Lets not speculate anyhow

Get yourself down the Doctors/Nurses they'll be able to have a good look into things
  • Options
    forgot about this, but was web browsing and remembered, so here are some sites
    http://www.synergy-health.co.uk/articles/Allergy.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/foodintolerance1.shtml
    theres a bit on the bbc site somewhere saying that these vegas machines are a con. It appeared to work for my husband though, so I guess people have to make their own minds up.
  • Options
    See your GP see what he says and in the mean time take some Andrews.
  • Options
    Is it normal to have alot of wind during a cold/mild chest infection? I've noticed this over the last few weeks, but this may be due to the fact that I've been coughing an awful lot lately...
  • Options
    forgot about this, but was web browsing and remembered, so here are some sites
    http://www.synergy-health.co.uk/articles/Allergy.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/foodintolerance1.shtml
    theres a bit on the bbc site somewhere saying that these vegas machines are a con. It appeared to work for my husband though, so I guess people have to make their own minds up.

I'm booked in for testing on the 7th June. Will let you know how I get on - am kinda scared they're going to tell me to quit eating nearly everything I usually have, but we'll soon see! :S
  • Options
    Mother & Daughter...

Hi there
    I'm completely new to these boards but I thought you may be interested to know my story. I never had a problem with gas or bloating or anything like that until I changed my diet to vegan in 1987 and I've had almost non-stop trouble ever since (although I stopped the vegan diet some time later and went vegetarian instead. My trouble is mainly at night... of course, I prefer to sleep alone so it's not doing my marriage any good!

The worst thing is, I now realise my 5 year-old daughter has it worse than me and she passes wind frequently, and is now being bullied at school because of this. The other kids - even those in year 6 - are following her round the playground at playtime calling her 'smelly'. Her behaviour is poor and she bursts into tears at the slightest thing. I can't bear to see this happen to her, I can cope with the problem myself and come to terms with it but I fear for her going through school with this. What can I do about it? Does anyone have any idea which professional would be best? Doctors are pretty damn useless with such things in my experience!
  • Options
    Yeah, my friend had this and found out she was just allergic to gluten or whatever so she has a lot less of that in her diet now.
  • Options
    So shyboy, three years on: how's the gas?
  • Options
    So shyboy, three years on: how's the gas?

Oh my Lord! This is an old thread. I never pay attention to these details...
This discussion has been closed.