Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Unlocking a mobile phone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well....I found a phone the other day, a rather nice one in fact and being the dishonest one i am, im keeping it.
Ive tried a few sim cards and it accepts them all but what i was curious about is, is it possible to "reset" it so that it clears off all the pin code security? I can access some features but "Reset All Settings" is locked by PIN and so are a few other things.
SO, is it possible to have that reset or not?
Thanks folks

Peace

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Dodgy geezer down the market would do it for a small sum.
  • Options
    And this is why everyone should make a note of their IMEI number, and if their phone gets nicked they should notify their phone company.

Stops thieving cunts from benefitting.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And this is why everyone should make a note of their IMEI number, and if their phone gets nicked they should notify their phone company.

Too right Trig.
  • Options
    A master reset only removes anything a user added to the phone memory such as photos, numbers and the like. It's nothing that can't be done by hand. However, people on the market will likely not have Prodigy Boxes or UFS2 to do this. Also, it's a stolen handset so not every market trader would be willing to help - you may as well ask them for an IMEI change too. It's all illegal over here.

And Kermit, if the phone is blocked, it will still work overseas and sometimes the block is lifted after 8 months so..chances are you'll always be quids out.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

i resent that....they lost the phone, i found it....as if no ones ever kept something they've found. If you found £20 in the street you wouldnt walk the earth to find its owner would you...why should that change just cuz its a mobile phone.....

Peace
  • Options
    You are stealing and handling stolen goods.

Jail for you!!
  • Options
    I'll hand it back straight away...
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Dodgy geezer down the market would do it for a small sum.

Thats what I was gonna say.
  • Options
    i resent that....they lost the phone, i found it....as if no ones ever kept something they've found. If you found £20 in the street you wouldnt walk the earth to find its owner would you...why should that change just cuz its a mobile phone.....

No, but I would hand a wallet or a mobile phone in to a police station, as they can be easily traced to the owner.

I have found two wallets and three mobiles on my travels- all have been handed in to the police or railway staff.

If you keep something you "find" you are a thieving cunt.
  • Options
    Left my phone in the pub a few months ago - was mightly releaved when the staff there got in touch by ringing just about every number in the phone book.

To be honest there is absolutely nothing easier to return to the owner than phone - outside of something with an actual address, just ring the numbers.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Bloody theives... if you were homeless and needed the money from selling it or kept a wallet, I might sympathise.

But bear in mind this poor person your stealing off paid for that phone.

Next time you loose something, and someone returns it, will you say "Nah, keep it, I lost it so I deserve it to be stolen." Or if you loose your car keys, will you not care if your car disapears?

Theives... Only thing i'd ever keep would be money lying around NOT in a wallet or something... becasue then, who knows who owns it? In a wallet is someone elses.
  • Options
    I am impressed by the outbreak of morals in the world...but the argument appears to be a moot one now as I rather stupidly dropped the damn thing and have broken the battery out of its casing....so....two people have now lost out on a phone...

ah well, Karma perhaps for being a "thieving cunt" ?

cheers anyway moral guardians
    Peace
  • Options
    Well....I found a phone the other day, a rather nice one in fact and being the dishonest one i am, im keeping it.
    Ive tried a few sim cards and it accepts them all but what i was curious about is, is it possible to "reset" it so that it clears off all the pin code security? I can access some features but "Reset All Settings" is locked by PIN and so are a few other things.
    SO, is it possible to have that reset or not?
    Thanks folks

Peace

Hope you didn't find it whilst out on the piss up Hanley on Monday night Almightybob? My mates girlfriend was dozy and misplaced her's :banghead:
  • Options
    I find something very satisfying in the conclusion of this story.
  • Options
    On a mobile note, when I brought my phone the other day, I got offered some software for the PC that when you type in that persons number it will tell you where they with in 100m. Very good if you have kids or if someone has nicked your phone. They give you a few free searches and than it's about 10 quid for 40 searches.

Cannot remember the website name thnough.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am impressed by the outbreak of morals in the world...but the argument appears to be a moot one now as I rather stupidly dropped the damn thing and have broken the battery out of its casing....so....two people have now lost out on a phone...

ah well, Karma perhaps for being a "thieving cunt" ?

cheers anyway moral guardians
    Peace

Owned. Not only are you a theif, your clumsy! :lol:

Odd how these things play out...
  • Options
    And with a bit of look almighty bob will lose his car keys and get it nicked.

That'd be good karma.

Most people in this country are inherently honest- my gf's phone went on a return trip to London from Newcastle on GNER and she got it back- and it's a real shame that the rest of the population will seize on someone else's misfortune.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    As JimV said, it is easy to trace a mobile phone back to its owner. I remember a few years ago I found a mobile phone in the street. I tried to answer it but all I got was someone talking in a foreign language. Couldn't understand them at all. Handed it to the police, told them what happened and they took it from there. Apparently the phone belonged to an Eastern European traveller and the people phoning were his parents and they didn't realise that it was stolen!

I ended up getting a reward out of that. Not much, but enough to show that they were all extremely grateful that I took the time out to return the phone to the original owner.

It was quite an amusing episode really.

If you find something like a phone or a wallet then it should be handed in to the police or whoever. If not then it is theft. Simple as.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Hope you didn't find it whilst out on the piss up Hanley on Monday night Almightybob? My mates girlfriend was dozy and misplaced her's :banghead:

luckily it wasnt, otherwise id be owing your mates missus a new phone right now....hope whoever found it isnt a dishonest clumsy thieving cunt like myself
    Kermit wrote:
    Most people in this country are inherently honest

I still dont agree...the amount of stuff ive lost over the years and never got back has showed me the opposite....maybe its a regional thing? stoke isnt exactly known for its honest, caring and thoughtful citizens.... :no:
  • Options
    On a mobile note, when I brought my phone the other day, I got offered some software for the PC that when you type in that persons number it will tell you where they with in 100m. Very good if you have kids or if someone has nicked your phone. They give you a few free searches and than it's about 10 quid for 40 searches.

Cannot remember the website name thnough.

Wouldnt that rely on the same number being used in the phone? Speaking as the newly appointed theiving cunt, id imagine the sim would be removed and discarded ASAP....
  • Options
    Well i got my phone stolen yesterday, its been blocked and reported to the police.

But is it possible to unblock the phone and the sim card. Cos i dont want some dam mugger calling all my friends!
  • Options

Peace

You could at least attempt to give it back to the person. Have a look around the area, hand it in somewhere or something. Notify the service provider or something? A phone's a bit different from £20 mate, much more personal.