Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bouncing Emails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've started getting spam through to an important email account - so I want to start bouncing it back ASAP - I use thunderbird now though, be nice if I could just right click and email andhave it bounce back to the sender so it appears my email is screwed!!

Comments

• Options
    it almost certainly won't do you any good - a bounce during SMTP delivery may get noticed, but almost anything else won't - the return addresses are usually forged.

How did your address get exposed? Don't let it happen again
  • Options
    A bounce actually does work. It prevents the scamming company from seeing that it's a genuine email address: this is good, because they don't know your email exists at first.

I use fastmail and never get any spam from that account.
  • Options
    I had a fastmail account for 2 years but eventually they got hold of my email address and started sending me 80 SPAM messages a day.

The emails I'm getting spam form now are my own personal domain names That's I registered so really want to stop those.
  • Options
    I'm with the bounces don't work crowd here.

Mostly because most of the spam messages use either fake or someone else's email address. So if you bounce the spam, then either the ISPs just get bounce messages which circle around generating traffic until they are returned to you, or someone with no connection to the spam whatsoever (and probably another victim of it) gets your bounces on top of their spam.

So just delete it.
  • Options
    I'm sick of the spam I'm recieving too. :( Getting tons of it. Over 50 spam emails a day. :crying: Bastard spammers are evil, all that useless email clogging up my inbox, and the system. :mad:
    Have a look to see if a program I use, POPfile, works with Thunderbird (I have a feeling they have a version that will run on it), as it's great for filtering and tagging spam, so that you can use message ruled to dump it into one folder. Then you just need to review the messages once or twice a day to see if there is anything that's been mistakenly tagged and put in there, and delete the spam. :)