Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The American Green card Lottery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever applied for it or know anyone that won a free pass to live and work in the USA?

Comments

• Options
    My uncle has Got a Greencard although I don't know how he got it, I can ask if you like..

Can i ask why?
  • Options
    im hoping rich kid got one and is staying over there forever, far away from his bucks keyboard
  • Options
    but out there they get faster net connection which means he could post more:(
  • Options
    hey the time difference between dial up and broadband makesno differewnce if you can only postevery 30 seconds
  • Options
    Has anyone ever applied for it or know anyone that won a free pass to live and work in the USA?

go get a copy of the film "greencard"

its funny
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    My uncle has Got a Greencard although I don't know how he got it, I can ask if you like..

Can i ask why?

Just seen loads of internet ads for them - I don't think the British are allowed to enter - think you have to be from more third world countries but got some relatives that may be interested and may qualifiy to enter
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think the British are allowed to enter - think you have to be from more third world countries

That is correct.
    My uncle who owns a swimming pool business in Arizona offered me a job out there once and I looked at how to get in - in the end they bassically told me to fuck off because I've got a record.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    no.. i looked into it and actually it is rather easy for a brittish citizen to get a green card, i dunno about the lotery but if i get two non direct relatives (eg cousins) to sponser me it's quite easy for me to get my greencard
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    no.. i looked into it and actually it is rather easy for a brittish citizen to get a green card, i dunno about the lotery but if i get two non direct relatives (eg cousins) to sponser me it's quite easy for me to get my greencard

I know two people who were flatly denied Greencards and both had to enter the country under the pretence of a holiday then get married whilst they were there. One of them has since been granted a Green Card (two years later) and the other is still waiting 18 months later. Whilst you're waiting you can't leave the country so neither of them has seen their family or friends for an age. :( Seems like hard work to me.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Seems like hard work to me.

Hard work but for something that could shape the future of your life and your kids too.
  • Options
    Yup.. I plan on doing it after i leave uni, well i am studying in uni over there so i'll have a student Visa, also an easier way would be to get married to an american.. well my gf is american :D Lol..

The best way is to marry an american but it's still hard work
    Next you need to have a Good job, a Skill they require highly
    Or you could join the army and hope to be shipped to a base in america
  • Options
    As far as I understand it, but don't quote me, the greencard lottery can be entered without any of the dodgy stuff on the web - it's like one of those scams for personalised number plates in the UK, there's no need to pay for some admin fee to enter.
  • Options
    http://www.us-immigration.com/ - it's closed for this year