Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Returning stuff without a receipt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought my dad a mini fridge cooler for fathers day in June 2003 and now it's playing up - I remember the box said it has a 2 year warranty .. but not sure if I have the receipt anywhere.

What are my chances of geting a refund?

And after the first year who do you contact Tesco's or the manufacturer?

Think the fridge was about £40

Comments

• Options
    There's no chance you'd get a refund.

If it's still in the warranty period you may get free parts and poss free labour to fix whatever is broken.

It'd be the manufacturer anyway, not the seller.
  • Options
    Yeah when things come with a warrenty it usually means they will fix them for free, although i don't know about that if you haven't got the recipet because there is no way of knowing how long ago you purchased it, so no way of proving it's still with in it's warrenty.

And you will have to contact the manufacturers, not tesco :)
  • Options
    The shop you bought it from is liable for repairs for products that have not lasted a reasonable time, or were not suitable for the purpose they were sold as.

You don't technically need a receipt, but the store would perobably make you prove you bought it there. And you would need to prove that it is unreasonable wear and tear. And you wouldn't get a full refund or repair, as age of the product is taken into account when assessing liability.

Most people seem to think that it is the manufacturer who is liable for faulty or defective goods, and it is not. The store you purchase a product from is responsible for the quality andf suitability of the product, manufacturers often offer warranties as a gesture of goodwill but are under no obligation to do so.
  • Options
    Without a reciept or proof of purchase then you don't stand much chance. Also Guarantee's come in various forms, some are included within the packaging of what you've brought in which needs to be sent off. If this is the case you've got no gurantee.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The shop you bought it from is liable for repairs for products that have not lasted a reasonable time, or were not suitable for the purpose they were sold as.

You don't technically need a receipt, but the store would perobably make you prove you bought it there. And you would need to prove that it is unreasonable wear and tear. And you wouldn't get a full refund or repair, as age of the product is taken into account when assessing liability.

Most people seem to think that it is the manufacturer who is liable for faulty or defective goods, and it is not. The store you purchase a product from is responsible for the quality andf suitability of the product, manufacturers often offer warranties as a gesture of goodwill but are under no obligation to do so.

I found the box, still got a Tesco's security sticker on it!!

I also found the manufacturer's website so sent them an email ... So let's see if they respond as well.
  • Options
    A two year warranty from the retailer sounds unlikely. I'd normally expect to take something back within a year if it went wrong; after that it would be down to the manufacturer and would depend on their policy.

I bought a DVD player from Amazon a couple of years ago for about £60 and filled in the warranty form inside the box. Sony are still sending me application forms for extended warranties which would cost 40 quid a year! I do make use of the prepaid envelope to send back the rubbish they sent me.
  • Options
    Manufacturers warranties and guarantees are in addition to the statutory guarantee that the retailer you purchase the product from is legally obliged to provide. The manufacturer is not legally obliged to provide a guarantee, and is only bound by it if you accept the offer of a guarantee (which is why you have to send the slip off). The retailer is always obliged to offer you a guarantee that the product is fit for the purpose it was sold for, and it maintains full operability for a reasonable life expectancy.

Without a receipt you may find it hard to prove that you bought the product in that shop. After two years you may find it hard to get a retailer to agree that it is unreasonable wear and tear that has caused the product to malfunction.

"Reasonable wear and tear" is subjective. If you bought a brand new car and the engine broke completely after two years then the retailer would be responsible for fixing it or refunding you, minus the two years use you have made of it. If you bought a £10 toaster and it broke after two years, they would say it was a reasonable life-span and wouldn't refund/repair.

In your case DG, the manufacturer will probably offer to repair it, at a cost to yourself.
  • Options
    Actually one of the things that attracted me to buy a cooler was the fact it works without any moving parts, except the fan which dissipates the heat... so it's suppose to last longer then a normal fridge and needs no gas to work.

Anyway lets see what the Supplier says - they actually import these things from China, says they've imported over 600,000 into the UK!!