Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Personality Disorder?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondered if this caught anybody's attention on the news last night and what you guys think of it.

Personally the idea disgusts me, locking up people with personality disorders in case they kill somebody? What next? Locking up Muslims in case they blow somebody up? Locking up protesters?

Personally I don't see the bill as realistic either, not only is it so easily corrupted (and probably would be corrupted once it's passed), but it's also unethical, it's leading us towards a police state.

A great deal of personality disorders are also very hard to diagnose and imagine how much it'll cost the country in taxes to keep them behind bars.

I'm sorry, but I would be disgusted if a friend of mine was locked up because of a personality disorder, as long as they hadn't done anything. It's no better than how they used to throw homosexuals in to assylums or women suffering from 'nymphomania' (basically women who've had pre-marital sex or cheated). I mean jeeze, the latest killer was black... Let's figure out how many black people have killed somebody and then lock up all the black people. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Its a scary move certainly, though far from surprising given this governments view of civil rights.

Its not really that much of an extention of what happens already, they can section you now, but I'm not sure how much easier it will be with this new law.

Its also self defeating because it will mean people will be less willing to come forward for help.
  • Options
    Thomas Szasz has been writing about this "idea" for many years.

http://www.szasz.com/manifesto.html

seeker
  • Options
    It scares me deeply, being someone with BPD, albeit "recovered".

Not a good idea. But our Prime Minister thinks civil liberties arguments are "outdated" and "old-fashioned", so what can you expect?
  • Options
    isn't that what hitler started doing, rounding up the invalids and mental patients? madness.
  • Options
    To be fair, and I don't think this is a perfect solution, there is a need to address the problem of people with severe personality disorders slipping between the lines of health treatment and criminal prosecution and this is from my own experience of working with people with severe personality disorders.

It's a tiny problem though and not something that should be delt with using new laws; new proceedures and methods to handle personality disorders would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    I was at a meeting with the local mental health teams yesterday when this issue was raised. They were not impressed, to put it mildly...
  • Options
    I quite agree Jim that there is a need to ensure that people in most need of treatment receive it.

What concerns me is just how vague the terms of the act really are. How do you define a "serious" danger to yourself or others? It wouldn't take much to make me fall in that category, even now.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It scares me deeply, being someone with BPD, albeit "recovered".
    When I was in a psych unit somebody had bipolar disorder(we weren't supposed to know that, but we talked within each other about why we were there...), she was fine... She has a kid now.

What does BPD do? That is if it's not too much of a personal question. Does it make people aggressive because my friend wasn't.
  • Options
    Borderline not bipolar.

Makes your self-worth and sense of place in the world fluctuate wildly between good and bad. It's quite unsettling, really.

I was never bad enough to be sectioned or anything, but I did get bumped right up an NHS queue :chin:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Borderline not bipolar.

Makes your self-worth and sense of place in the world fluctuate wildly between good and bad. It's quite unsettling, really.

I was never bad enough to be sectioned or anything, but I did get bumped right up an NHS queue :chin:
    Oh sorry yeah, I meant borderline :blush: ... Like the lady from Girl Interrupted.

The young lady in the unit sometimes seemed like she needed a place... if that makes sense. You know, like a reason to fit in... almost like at times something was missing. Well that's how it's been explained.

On a tangent, did you find the NHS any good in helping you? Also... If you're recovered then it means even more that the government would be making a mistake in imprisoning people because they could be given help too.
  • Options
    locking mentally ill people up IN CASE they kill someone is ridiculous. obviously in some cases it might be a wise move, but it is quite worrying.

people without personality disorders kill people too. where do we draw the line? not to mention that 'personality disorder' covers a huge range of conditions and severities. how violent do they have to be? history of attacks? threats? short temper?

doesn't sit well with me, it has to be said.
  • Options
    Like Susannah Keysen, yep. I guess that's exactly what the feeling was: complete and abject lostness, loneliness and uncertainty of anything. One minute I'd be certain of one thing, the next I'd be certain of something else, and everything was always black or white. To make it more confusing, black and white would change often, sometimes every few hours. And as kaffrin mentions temper, I'd add that I was very quick to anger, and had very violent thoughts, though I was always too scared of being beaten up or, more crucially, being caught, to ever act on them.

The NHS were excellent in helping me. My doctor was very helpful, she helped me and made sure I looked after my SH wounds properly, she ensured I got referred to the proper unit, and she took me seriously. After I'd been assessed by the unit she said it'd be 18 months wait, but she told me she'd try everything to move me up the queue, and I got into another therapy place in a few weeks.

I've just stopped seeing my therapist now, after three hours a week for three years, although it had reduced gradually since the autumn because I was ready to move on from it. And its done me so much good.

I think treatment is important for people, but I don't think locking them up works. care in the community, much maligned as it is, is how it should be done- CitC only fails because it is institutionally impossible to give the ill the community they need to get care.
  • Options

What next? Locking up Muslims in case they blow somebody up?
    :rolleyes:

and heres me thinking we had already gone down that road.
  • Options
    This is truly frightening legislation. As if we can predict who is going to randomly go out and kill people in the streets.

On a point of information though, the term 'personality disorder' covers a wide range of diagnoses and a wide range of behaviours. I don't think we're talking about locking up those with a personality disorder, but those who are deemed to be potentially dangerous.

The trouble with some of the more extreme personality disorders is that there is often no definitive treatment or cure, and so it is not simple to detain these people under the current mental health act.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    and heres me thinking we had already gone down that road.

Im with you, isn't that what House Arrest is?