Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should ANY service be provided at the barrel of a gun?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As the topic says. Very intereted to hear your views on this.

Comments

• Options
    Either post something intelligent or don't bother.
  • Options
    Good answer. Sorry I missed if it was a "yes" or a "no". Could you clarify that for me please, Blagsta?
  • Options
    Might help if your original post made some sense? Are you talking metaphorically or literally?
  • Options
    Sorry you lost me. There was no metaphor in the original post and as it was written, it would have to be literally.
  • Options
    Yes - the service of defence of the realm is often best provided at the point of a gun.
  • Options
    Hmm, well also not truly understanding what precisely you are looking for by way of responses here, I would have to say that military service wouldn't be very effective if not provided at the "barrel of a gun", police service as well. ;)
  • Options
    I smell libertarianism :nervous:
  • Options
    The people who get blown up by the military aren't the ones being provided the service, same for the police.
  • Options
    A&E departments might run a bit better on Friday and Saturday nights with a few armed guards.
  • Options
    No, you are right there klintock, and indeed in most instances of modern military/police application I should say that the use of the gun is NOT in service to the public but only to the furtherance or defense of elite privilege and control.

My examples were more of a lighthearted retort to a rather nebulous question.

As for libertarian, you neednt worry from this quarter Al.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The people who get blown up by the military aren't the ones being provided the service, same for the police.

Your question is extremely unclear.

The military would claim that it is providing a service to the general public when it shoots people. Ditto the cops when they shoot Scottish men bearing table legs....

:yeees:
  • Options
    Do the "general public" have the option of declining the military or the polices services?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Do the "general public" have the option of declining the military or the polices services?

No.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Well, 2 million of them could get together and have a march .......
  • Options
    klintock

If you have a critique of government, then post it. Otherwise shut it.
  • Options
    If you don't want to answer my simple, easy to follow questions, then you don't have to, Blagsta. You don't have to read the posts I make and undertand them, you are free to do what you want.

It's not like I am using force to make you accept my version of reality or anything.
  • Options
    You haven't posted any "simple, easy to follow questions". All you've done is post a load of badly thought out shit.
  • Options
    I am sorry, what is difficult to understand about "Should ANY service be provided at the barrel of a gun?"
  • Options
    You're not as bright as you think you are, are you?
  • Options
    I don't think I am bright, quite the opposite in fact. It's why I like to ask questions to verify things. I also like to share what I have found with others to see if I have got things right.

When no new facts or arguments come forward, I kind of assume I was correct. When I am insulted or whatever, it doesn't seem to invalidate what I state, only facts or constructed argument would do that.

Do you actually have any, or do my questions reveal a scary world of primary experience?
  • Options
    The normal procedure here is to state the debateable point, state your views and why you think that and then ask for response.

You seem to have posed a question which has little interest to anyone and you havent posted your own views which normally make things more interesting.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am sorry, what is difficult to understand about "Should ANY service be provided at the barrel of a gun?"

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR QUESTION SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

Are you asking if a bus service should be provided and people should be forced to use it at gunpoint?

Are you asking if a bus service should be provided by holding the government at gunpoint until they implement one?

Are you asking if a bus stop should be placed at barrels of guns?

Are you asking if a bus drivers should be forced at gun point to drive buses?

Maybe if you asked a comprehensible question you'd get a decent response, instead of insulting everybodys intelligence and just assuming you're the only one clever enough to understand such a deep and potent question.
  • Options
    If everyone is saying your question makes no sense, it probably doesn't.
  • Options
    Is English your native language klintock, i am guessing not?
  • Options
    As to the question (I think)

Enforced public ayment for certain goods is necessary because they are things which people benefit form whether they pay for or not i.e. they are a public good.

For example street lighting. If i want lights on my street I have to pay a lot of money for something that will benfit lots of people, if everyone is not forced to pay then you get 'free-riders' or cheats etc that undermine the whole system

Whilst you may argue that forcing people to pay precludes their stating a desire for this service and ehilst this is reasonable in some cases the general enforcement is necessary for a lot of things ad the will of the majority is likely to dictate as in most areas in a dmeocracy.......
  • Options
    better question might have been

"What services, if any, should be provided with the threat of a gun"
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Are there any?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Whilst you may argue that forcing people to pay precludes their stating a desire for this service and ehilst this is reasonable in some cases the general enforcement is necessary for a lot of things ad the will of the majority is likely to dictate as in most areas in a dmeocracy.......

Mob rule ??

seeker
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As the topic says. Very intereted to hear your views on this.

i think blagsta has a point for once./..what are you on about...i know you're wrapped up in your own wee world where everyone could be brillasint...we could all be perfect but it's not like that...we're such a diverse species and i think that the system we have now is the best one and unless you can cone up wif some viable alternativs i'll not listen to you....
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I don't think I am bright, quite the opposite in fact. It's why I like to ask questions to verify things. I also like to share what I have found with others to see if I have got things right.

When no new facts or arguments come forward, I kind of assume I was correct. When I am insulted or whatever, it doesn't seem to invalidate what I state, only facts or constructed argument would do that.

Do you actually have any, or do my questions reveal a scary world of primary experience?

Your posts present no substance to engage with. You are a 1st year philosophy student aren't you?