Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Left and Right

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, as far as my understanding goes:

Left, populated by the 'lefties' are more accurately described as 'liberalists'; the wish to promote social freedoms and see people more liberated, often they wish to promote equity in society and often support socilist-esque agendas. (by this, I mean favouring working class people, not strictly communism etc)

Right, is usually to do with conservatism, they wish to keep things steady as they are, no sudden changes. It says people should be 'monitored' to an extent, to keep people in line for the benefit of society.

Left and Right, are more or less mutually exclusive. You can't say everyone should have privacy and should have their phone lines tapped - it's a contradiction. However, onto my main point.

Why, so often, especially on here, are they interpereted wrongly, or extremely. What I mean - lots of people on here are left orientated and wish people to have more control over their lives, but someone who disagrees with that will label them all communists. Someone on the right who thinks its better the police infiltrate things with the ideology 'you shouldn't be worried if you've got nothing to hide' has a perfectly valid viewpoint; but more often than not they are labelled 'racist'. I think these are both stigmas attatched to the left and right which are completely inaccurate, yet even people on here who seem to be knowledgeable throw them around.

If someone thinks immigrants should be checked out and there should be quotas - that doesn't mean they're racist. It means they think the state should have more power. Same for the left. I lean slightly towards the left personally, but take offense when called a communist. When people think of communism they more often than not think of Stalinism, which is very authoritarian.

But anyway, why can't people just accept that people are slightly right or slightly left, why does everyone have to be extreme. Either extreme is dangerous, as history has shown repeatedly.

Comments

• Options
    there's no difference between left and right anymore....the hard left are labeled as racist's,we now have conservative, and a watered down conservative government.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    there's no difference between left and right anymore....the hard left are labeled as racist's,we now have conservative, and a watered down conservative government.

In what way are the "hard left" racist? And do you mean authoritarian or libertarian left?

:confused:
  • Options
    In what way are the "hard left" racist? And do you mean authoritarian or libertarian left?

:confused:
    oh,there's a difference is there?i didnt know that?..please explain?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    oh,there's a difference is there?i didnt know that?..please explain?

Click on the link and it explains it all - theres even a little test you can take to see where you are - it says that I am "libertarian left"
  • Options
    Click on the link and it explains it all - theres even a little test you can take to see where you are - it says that I am "libertarian left"
    i did that,where does the b.n.p stand?..or ukip?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i did that,where does the b.n.p stand?..or ukip?

axeswithnames.gif

What do you reckon?
  • Options
    axeswithnames.gif

What do you reckon?
    propper! :) ...it all becomes clear when you put it like that :)
  • Options
    left is right.
    right is wrong.
    simple realy.
  • Options
    left is right.
    right is wrong.
    simple realy.
    what if you dont know your "left" from your "right"?
  • Options
    get someone to draw it on your hand

and the last time someone did that to me, i asked them to put it on the wrong way around, so they drew a L on my left hand but upside down
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Then your buggered!

Left isn't exactally what i'd call pro freedom... Lenin had a good quote on that if anyone cares. Its more to do with the average working joe. Right is Elitist. Liberals are freedom.

Then there are those who don't give a damn and are enslaved by all! :P
  • Options
    Don't label yourself.
  • Options
    I agree with Kentish 100%

Language isn't experience, don't confuse the two.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    what if you dont know your "left" from your "right"?
    then you will be with the 95% of the population who gets abused used ripped off and pissed about but gets on with their life as opposed to the five percent who think they know ...get realy fucking angry about whats going on ...waste half their lives trying to change the unchangeable and the other half coming in here arguing about it.
    ignorance realy can be bliss.
    you are one of the blessed.
  • Options
    then you will be with the 95% of the population who gets abused used ripped off and pissed about but gets on with their life as opposed to the five percent who think they know ...get realy fucking angry about whats going on ...waste half their lives trying to change the unchangeable and the other half coming in here arguing about it.
    ignorance realy can be bliss.
    you are one of the blessed.
    that sounded too much like a vailed,insult....but i know what you mean.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    that sounded too much like a vailed,insult....but i know what you mean.
    no insult intended mate ...i rarely hide my insults ...
  • Options
    I have to say I've been attacked when ever I post something that people view as being conservative. I think it would be a lot more fun if more people on here would debate the facts rather than attack one another. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    I have to say I've been attacked when ever I post something that people view as being conservative. I think it would be a lot more fun if more people on here would debate the facts rather than attack one another. Just a thought.

nahhh!
  • Options
    In realpolitik the terms "Right" or "Left" are too simplistic. For example you could be termed right-wing on economic policy yet be left-wing on social policy issues.
    Let us not forget that politics is the art of the possible and pragmatism often over-rides principle.
  • Options
    In realpolitik the terms "Right" or "Left" are too simplistic. For example you could be termed right-wing on economic policy yet be left-wing on social policy issues.
    Let us not forget that politics is the art of the possible and pragmatism often over-rides principle.

:lol: objective political stratification from the man who swears the Trotskyites are invading the board and the immoral pot heads are defending the scum of British society :yeees:

sorry that was mean, and was a very valid point nonetheless, with quite a nice conclusion
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

i've seen you use the term 'lefties' quite a bit lately, especially to those opposing your opinions - does this mean that you are rather simplistic also :chin:
  • Options
    Reference to the left was made by a number of posters so I simly took up this useful shorthand word, thats all, nothing sinister about it, don't get so paranoid!
  • Options
    you are a know it all that is still learning, ooh
  • Options
    It depends on what sort of analysis you have of the world. It seems to me that a lot of conflict in the world is due to people struggling over resources, labour and production. I want to see a world where resources are used in the fairest way possible for the greatest good. I don't see this being possible under capitalism. There are enough homes to go round and enough food to eat, so why do some people live on the street, some people stuggle to pay their rent, while other people own more than one home? Why do some people in the world starve while others die of diseases brought about by over eating? Answer (or rather, part of the answer) - the economic system under which production, labour and resources are organised, a system which benefits a minority at the expense of the majority.