Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stamp Duty threshold raised

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Apart from in the computing and high finance industries there is no need to be in London. And in these industries you earn enough to not need tax breaks.

Transport links in the South East mean there is no need to be in London. To illustrate, Grantham in Lincolnshire is only an hour from London by train, which is what it takes me to get to work in a morning. It's not an unreasonable distance.

I quite agree that stamp duty should only be extended to the very wealthy, but at the same time I am fed up of Londoners always trying to insinuate that they are hard done by. They aren't.

Have you ever actually been to London?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    because you can't buy much for £120k in London

You can't buy anything for 120K in London.
  • Options
    Kermit - I work for a drugs service as an education & employment worker. I live in the same community that I work in and don't get paid a great deal. I can't afford to buy here, social housing has all been sold off so I can't get a council or housing association place. Over 1/3 of my monthly wage goes on rent. Over 1/2 of my g/f's wage goes on rent (we live together, she works in an EBD school gettign paid peanuts). You need over £1000 saved to rent a place. That's a struggle for people on 21K like me. How do you think people on 11K manage?
  • Options
    You couldn't but a cardboard box for £120k in Chalfont St Peter!

The REAL Labour budget will come after the election when we'lll be hit by massive new tax hikes to fill Labours £12 Billion black hole!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    £35,000 is ten thousand pounds more than the average UK wage. Why should the taxes of people from the north be used to subsidise people who earn significantly more than them?

If you can't afford to live in an area, you move. You don't complain because the Government refuses to kow-tow to you simply because you want to buy a house in a popular area. The simple fact does remain that if you can afford London prices you don't need a tax exemption; London is not the centre of the world, apart from in a couple of select industries.

The point is that most people aren't on 35k a year, so therefore if those that do earn that and a lot more can't afford a one bed flat in ANY part of the London/South East, what hope is there for the rest. Oh, by the way, I didn't realise people in the South were on a different tax structure to those in the North.....
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have you ever actually been to London?

It doesn't actually sound like he has. More happy to cling to the stereotype that all Londoners have moved there especially to take up a position at some city firm as an investment banker. God forbid that people were actually born in London/South East, working in very average jobs - let however million of them move up North and scrap for jobs and accommodation that don't exist.
    g_angel007 wrote:

Also - 1 hour ain't a bother for commuting. That's about normal but it's the DISTANCE from Grantham that rules it out - what if there's a problem with the GNER mainline etc?! Exactly. I defy you to try commuting 100 miles each way to work - sorry, to Kings Cross. You then have to get your tube/bus etc to your destination. Maybe another half an hour.

Hell, I used to travel about an hour and a half within London to work on a good day - no complaints. And of course there are never delays on the railway network, must be my mistake......
  • Options
    The threshold of stamp duty and the comical price of housing in London are not linked.

And without being patronising, the rest of the country has social outreach workers and teachers too. It might not be a fair choice, but you do choose to live in London.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    In this respect, I will agree with the "we're hard done by" party... In this case, the whole SOUTH OF FUCKING ENGLAND has been screwed.

i see what you're saying about not being able to afford to buy, but i don't see how you've been screwed. two weeks ago you had to pay stamp duty on everything in the south east. and now you have to pay stamp duty on everything in the south east.

what is does mean is that some people in some areas on a low wage (and no, 15, 18, 20,000 is NOT a low wage) have been given a little helping hand. why you are begruding them that, i don't know.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The threshold of stamp duty and the comical price of housing in London are not linked.

Maybe what he's saying is that he thinks that they should be?

Still, that would be a bit ridiculous, methinks. It is no fairer to say that the threshold should be higher in more expensive areas than it is to set it at a single value in all places.

I disagree though that 120000 is a lot for a house. It still is less than the 162000 pound average price for a UK house, which means that the "average" person buying a house gets hit by the duty, which is surely not meant to be the point of it all.

That said though, stamp duty is a small fraction of the overall cost, and, realistically, I can't see it being the deal-breaker in buying a house.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Kermit - I work for a drugs service as an education & employment worker. I live in the same community that I work in and don't get paid a great deal.... That's a struggle for people on 21K like me.

You get paid more than the practice nurse I work with.

As Kaffrin says:
    15, 18, 20,000 is NOT a low wage
    I disagree though that 120000 is a lot for a house.

Really? Jeez. I'm glad I live in the north.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:

Really? Jeez. I'm glad I live in the north.

As do I. Please read the comment in it's context. Clearly 120000 is not "cheap", but it's not a lot in the frame of houses, which does kinda mean that the threshold may still be too low. Unless the point of moving it up was just to pay lip service to the idea.

My northern end terrace is probably nudging on 120000 now.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    As do I. Please read the comment in it's context. Clearly 120000 is not "cheap", but it's not a lot in the frame of houses, which does kinda mean that the threshold may still be too low. Unless the point of moving it up was just to pay lip service to the idea.

My northern end terrace is probably nudging on 120000 now.

I think this is the point really - £120,000 isn't cheap in monetary terms, but in house price terms, particularly from the Midlands downwards it is almost nominal.
    And yeah, most people still couldn't afford to buy just because the stamp duty tax had been removed, BUT I can't see how you can begrudge people from these areas the right to complain that the 120K threshold wont make a bit of difference for THEM. I highly doubt anyone is saying 'well we have to suffer so those bloody northerners should too'.
  • Options
    But that's exactly what they're saying.

they are complaining that because they choose to live in an expensive part of the country, that they are "penalised", when they are not. £120,000 for a first house IS a lot of money for most people in this country, from about Peterborough northwards.

In terms of all houses £120,000 isn't a huge amount of money, but most people wouldn't spend more thab £120,000 on a first house, bearing in mind that mean averages are always skewed by those who buy as a first house a £1million penthouse.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    they choose to live in an expensive part of the country
    I don't follow this argument at all. You're basically suggesting that people should expect to move away from their home towns just in order to buy somewhere to live. People don't work like that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And without being patronising, the rest of the country has social outreach workers and teachers too. It might not be a fair choice, but you do choose to live in London.

Patronising is exactly what you are doing. What do you suggest? That London has no teachers, nurses, outreach workers?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    they are complaining that because they choose to live in an expensive part of the country,.

You really are being a patronising wanker here. Are you saying that poor people shouldn't live in areas where they grew up, where their families are, their friends are?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't follow this argument at all. You're basically suggesting that people should expect to move away from their home towns just in order to buy somewhere to live. People don't work like that.

Then they choose not to. It's not a very fair choice, but people choose to live in London, they don't have to. Nobody forces them to.

Anyway, my point wasn't even about the cost of housing in London. It was simply that because London doesn't (for the first time ever) benefit from a tax break at the expense of everyone else, that it means London has been "shafted". Kaffrin put the point best.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's not nice, but what's wrong with saying it? After all, I had to move away. It's not any different just because it's London.

i'm having to move away too. i can stay in leeds, if i like, but there's no way i can afford to live anywhere near where i grew up. such is life. the house prices in this areas have increase tenfold in the last 20 years, and as i'm not going to be earning £100k any time soon, i have to go where the cheap housing is, or i don't get a house.

it's what people do. i could stay here and complain about how i can't afford to live in the expensive parts of leeds, or i can move away where i CAN afford to live. it's a choice you make, and you'll find it's a choice most people have to make.

this north/south this is a bit ridiculous too. the house prices in london are double the leeds houses? probably true. but someone in london doing my job would be on twice my wage. maybe more. it's another choice. i have chosen to stay up here. no one's forcing me. so i don't think i can really complain about it.
  • Options
    It's not nice, but what's wrong with saying it? After all, I had to move away. It's not any different just because it's London.

Because its elitist patronising bollocks. Should there only be rich people in London? Aren't nurses, teachers, road sweepers, shop assistants etc allowed to live here anymore? Why put money ahead of people?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    but someone in london doing my job would be on twice my wage. maybe more. .

I doubt it. London weighting is fuck all. Its funny how you're all spouting off about London without ever actually having visited here. I usually try to know something about a subject before shooting my mouth off.
  • Options
    Exactly - London weighting is usually around 10-15% in my experience and so it's vastly over-estimated by people living up North as to the actual difference.

Blagsta - again agreed that people need to actually know something about a subject before spouting mis/ill informed nonsense.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

this north/south this is a bit ridiculous too. the house prices in london are double the leeds houses? probably true. but someone in london doing my job would be on twice my wage. maybe more.

twice your wages, or more? absolutely not - maybe a couple of grand more.
  • Options
    Kaffrin - I shall retract my comment about the whole South of England being screwed as you made a fair point.

I was in a rush to get out of the office, and I believe that was the only badly phrased/reasoned comment made by myself throughout the whole of my arguments within this thread.

Otherwise, I stand by everything I've posted, and I believe a lot of people are speaking very much out of turn, with little or no knowledge of the matters under discussion.
  • Options
  • Options
    "By the way, I'm pretty sure that most people have visited London."

Possibly - but they won't have lived there, which is a different matter.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I doubt it. London weighting is fuck all. Its funny how you're all spouting off about London without ever actually having visited here. I usually try to know something about a subject before shooting my mouth off.

it's funny how you made that assumption without actually knowing if, (a) i'd ever been to london (i have), (b) i know anyone living in london (i know several) or (c) i know anyone doing a very similar job to me in london (i also do). and i assure you, he is earning twice what i do for the same role in a different company.

i also know several people temping in london and being paid around £9 - 10 p/h. and several people temping in leeds, and pulling in about £5 p/h

i have not just randomly been pulling figures and arguments out of my ass.
  • Options
    £5/hr for temping in Leeds?! I was getting more than that 6-7 years ago as a customer service chap at BT Cellnet (in Leeds)! There are plenty of jobs out there paying more than that, even for temping and I personally wouldn't get out of bed for £5/hr.

There are (almost) always ways for people to improve their prospects and income - it's just up to them to go for it.

In my experience, and the others I know, for a position with a fixed salary, the difference is usually, as mentioned before, around 10-15%, 20% tops.

Without meaning to cause offence, I would suggest that you could be being paid less than you're worth. I've NEVER before, in my experience, come across somebody earning double down here compared to Leeds! I can't see how this could be unless the person up North were being screwed royally.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    £5/hr for temping in Leeds?! I was getting more than that 6-7 years ago as a customer service chap at BT Cellnet! There are plenty of jobs out there paying more than that, even for temping and I personally wouldn't get out of bed for £5/hr.

There are (almost) always ways for people to improve their prospects and income - it's just up to them to go for it.

In my experience, and the others I know, for a position with a fixed salary, the difference is usually, as mentioned before, around 10-15%, 20% tops.

Without meaning to cause offence, I would suggest that you could be being paid less than you're worth. I've NEVER before, in my experience, come across somebody earning double down here compared to Leeds! I can't see how this could be unless the person up North were being screwed royally.

To be honest, I'd have to agree - On the whole, London wages are not double Leeds' wages. There may be certain exceptions, as Kaffrin has spoken about, but I can assure you, being from London originally and knowing a good few people in Leeds, as well as lots of other Northern cities that there is not the huge gulf of divide in wages that people are suggesting.

Not to mention the fact that even in the same city, the wage structures of companies can be quite varied anyway.
  • Options
    If rich people are the only ones that can afford to live there then either nurses, road sweepers etc will move out and wages will go up enough for them to become rich because people are desperate for them, or prices will go down enough for them to be able to afford to live there because nobody wants to live in a place where there are no service staff. London/The South is not the only place that has this problem you know.

This is unmitigated bollocks. Capitalism just doesn't work like that.
    By the way, I'm pretty sure that most people have visited London.

Going by some of the comments on here, I doubt it. You seem to think the streets are paved with gold. They're not, they're paved with dog shit for the most part.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    it's funny how you made that assumption without actually knowing if, (a) i'd ever been to london (i have),(b) i know anyone living in london (i know several) or (c) i know anyone doing a very similar job to me in london (i also do). and i assure you, he is earning twice what i do for the same role in a different company.

i also know several people temping in london and being paid around £9 - 10 p/h. and several people temping in leeds, and pulling in about £5 p/h

i have not just randomly been pulling figures and arguments out of my ass.

Going by what you're posting on this thread, you haven't got a clue. When I was temping in Birmingham 3 years ago, I was getting about £6/hour. An equivalent job in London might get about £7.50/hour. This in no way makes up for the difference in the cost of living. My rent is twice what it was in Brum, travel expenses are about 3 times the amount, food is more expensive, council tax is more etc. London is not some kind of rich man's paradise y'know. :rolleyes: