Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What no Budget thread?

The 2005 Budget is here

What are people's opinions on this then?

I think it's a fairly balanced and decent budget. And so do the Tories, who have really struggled to find anything bad to say about it, and had to resort to the "you'll pay for this later" scaremongering warnings.

A few things have clearly done with the election in mind though. There will be no rise in fuel duty for instance- that has been delayed until the autumn, once the election is out of the way. But generally speaking it looks after families and pensioners quite well I thought...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Think no one has mentioned it as there is nothing in it to help young people. Okay, families, but what about single people, a growing demographic?
  • Options
    I dont think there was a thread because it was quite dull, nothing unexpected really.

Same old same old, he keeps moving forwards in roughly the same direction, stability and growth, you cant fault him that much.

One thing that did annoy me though was that he withdrew a programme of giving pensioners lower pensions if they are in hospital for a year. Why? They are being given total bed and board, why should they get full pay? Thats just a minor gripe though.
  • Options
    If you like Labours economic policies you'll like this budget, if you don't like them you won't. Its pretty much more of the same as he's being doing for the last few years.
  • Options
    Howard’s response was decent enough. Labour did not make many real changes so there was not much to argue about. But the tax on a packet of cigarettes rising 7p sounds good.
  • Options
    But the tax on a packet of cigarettes rising 7p sounds good.

I wonder how much he will actually gain from it though, it will just make bootlegging more profitable and more likely.
  • Options
    Economic growth is at an all time high :) nobody can really argue with that. And that's real growth, too.

BTW Born Slippy: the tax on fags isn't actually an increase in tax, it's just in line with inflation. You know how £10 this year is worth slightly less next year, because people have more money than people can sell them stuff more or less, so prices go up, so what your money is worth actually goes down = inflation. People also get pay rises because of this, so in relative terms its practically the same :/
  • Options
    BTW Born Slippy: the tax on fags isn't actually an increase in tax, it's just in line with inflation. You know how £10 this year is worth slightly less next year, because people have more money than people can sell them stuff more or less, so prices go up, so what your money is worth actually goes down = inflation. People also get pay rises because of this, so in relative terms its practically the same :/

Thanks for that, now it would not surprise me if everything else on that list was not how it seems.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    One thing that did annoy me though was that he withdrew a programme of giving pensioners lower pensions if they are in hospital for a year. Why? They are being given total bed and board, why should they get full pay? Thats just a minor gripe though.
    It's probably because the state pension is so insignificant already it'd seem petty to reduce it further...
  • Options
    A dull budget, nothing of much substance in there. The only thing that caught my attention was that young people are to be given £75 a week to stay in education after the age of 16. Sounds very much like bribery to me.
  • Options
    im sure they do that anyway, its called the EMA
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im sure they do that anyway, its called the EMA

They do, but its only £30 a week now.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

And that's after means testing. Yor parents combined earnings has to be below about £20,000 for you to be elligible for the EMA, and seeing as most middle class families earn more than that, then only a minority receive it :/
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

its only ever been £30 a week at most

my borough was a trial one, and for me it actually served a good purpose, meant i didnt have to work 20 hours a week on top of college like some people, when that will obviously affect an education if youre at college/6th form 25 hours a week already

id of liked to see some more money for teaching undergrad students since most universities still are going to run undergrad courses at a loss even with inscreased fees to students fees
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    A dull budget, nothing of much substance in there. The only thing that caught my attention was that young people are to be given £75 a week to stay in education after the age of 16. Sounds very much like bribery to me.

The mind boggles. Kids are being paid to go to 6th form college?

£75 a week to turn up and get an education! Fuck me, i'm speechless.
  • Options
    The mind boggles. Kids are being paid to go to 6th form college?

£75 a week to turn up and get an education! Fuck me, i'm speechless.

Its better than the alternative, though it does send out a bad message.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its better than the alternative, though it does send out a bad message.

You've lost me.

Better than what alternative, not paying them £75 for the privilege of recieving an education?
  • Options
    Better than what alternative, not paying them £75 for the privilege of recieving an education?
    I think what Bongbudda is saying is that it's better to have them in education than either in really low-paid dead-end jobs or worse, unemployed and claiming the dole. The EMA was brought in to address the fact that the drop-out rate in education at the age of 16 in this country is worryingly high.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think what Bongbudda is saying is that it's better to have them in education than either in really low-paid dead-end jobs or worse, unemployed and claiming the dole. The EMA was brought in to address the fact that the drop-out rate in education at the age of 16 in this country is worryingly high.

You don't think that paying children to receive an education is morally repugnant?

There are people all over the world who would give up everything to receive an education and here we are paying kids not to drop out. The Government is on this ridiculous drive at the moment to make sure that 80% of people in education see it through to degree level. Degree’s will be come worthless. The fact is that we need people in society to not take higher education paths and take more manually skilled jobs, otherwise there’s going to be the situation of too many people know how to manage a business and no one to do the work!

I’ve just found out that this scheme was introduced 2 years after I left 6th form college. There weren’t people dropping out of education left, right and centre at my college.
  • Options
    I don't find the scheme morally repugnant as such, just dubious. What the government is trying to do is give what it would call "financial assistance" to those who want to carry on, but can't because it would cost too much. I agree this doesn't sort out some problems, like the balance between academia and vocational qualifications, for example.

And by drop-out, what I meant was those leaving education at the age of 16, after doing GCSEs. Or maybe not. Some might have left with no qualifications.
  • Options
    The government can gloss it over with what ever phraseology they like.

Kids are always going to drop out of education at every level. Throwing money at it won’t solve that.

I’m aware of three lads that dropped out of my high school who are earning much more money doing plastering and plumbing that I am doing web development!
  • Options
    The government can gloss it over with what ever phraseology they like.

Kids are always going to drop out of education at every level. Throwing money at it won’t solve that.

Unless you look at one motivating factor for dropping out - earning cash. The money gives these kids a little independance, somthing we earners take for granted. It's actually the reason I dropped out when I did.
  • Options
    *does the 'raised stamp duty' dance*

that pleased me, cause i'm planning to buy a house this year, and on the kind of prices i'm looking at, the new lack of stamp duty will save me a tidy amount :D
  • Options
    Howard’s response was decent enough. Labour did not make many real changes so there was not much to argue about. But the tax on a packet of cigarettes rising 7p sounds good.

Which is why I buy my baccy tax free.
  • Options
    Unless you look at one motivating factor for dropping out - earning cash. The money gives these kids a little independance, somthing we earners take for granted. It's actually the reason I dropped out when I did.

I worked for my money while i was at college, strange as it may sound.

I also don't believe that money is the sole factor for dropping out of education. Lack of motivation and understanding of its importance are probably just as much to blame.
  • Options
    In a lot of cases among poor families, children are forced to choose between education and living at home. I know a significant minority of people who were forced to get jobs at 16 because their parents refused to pay for them anymore.

That is the rationale behind the EMA. It is a perfectly justifiable rationale.
  • Options
    Hopefully Brown and New Labours last budget. Its the same old bullshit, no tax cuts, expanding public sector i.e the part of the economy that doesnt contribute.
  • Options
    I worked for my money while i was at college, strange as it may sound.

I also don't believe that money is the sole factor for dropping out of education. Lack of motivation and understanding of its importance are probably just as much to blame.

so did i but ema meant i didnt have to work as many hours to support myself, such that itd be a detriment to my studies
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    In a lot of cases among poor families, children are forced to choose between education and living at home. I know a significant minority of people who were forced to get jobs at 16 because their parents refused to pay for them anymore.

That is the rationale behind the EMA. It is a perfectly justifiable rationale.

I'm aware of cases like that myself. It certainly doesn't justify anything though. It is prefectly possible work almost full time and go to college. It's something i did myself.

Paying kids to attend college is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long while. You can justify it by saying that it makes life easy for people. You can't however justify it as a sound concept.

You're trying to tell me that £75 buys the silence of massively ignorant parents, thats insanity.
  • Options
    It is perfectly possible to work "full time" and go to college. Generally you fuck up both.

Why is it not a sound concept? It encourages people who would otherwise drop out of the education system to remain in education, and it allows the very poorest people a bit of extra financial help. What is not sound about that?

"But I worked so everyone else can!" is not a suitable counter-argument, for the record.
  • Options
    so did i but ema meant i didnt have to work as many hours to support myself, such that itd be a detriment to my studies

Detrimental to your studies, don't feed me that line. I was working 30 hour weeks while at college. I made the time for my studies. It's a question of commitment.