Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Iran is a barbaric society

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    apollo_69 wrote:
    this thread sounds scarily like the old colonial days, when we said look at these barbaric uncivilised countries, they obviously don't have a clue let's go show them how to live their lives..........just this time round its in the guise of democracy instead of christianity........and everyone is falling for it all over again...........how about we get our own houses in order before we start trying to domesticate the rest of the world?........

We are constantly trying to get our own houses in order.

We aren't allowed to say they are barbaric then? Even when they blatantly are?

I'm not saying we should go in and change it for them, Im just saying that people who say we are barbaric and evil and they are somehow the victims are wrong.
  • Options
    Pretty stupid point.

So you think that Britain for instance is as barbaric as Iran because some British people like to get spanked by prostitutes? You're saying thats as barbaric as publicly stoning women to death because they have been raped?

Ha you're sooo missing the point...it's got othing to do with countries...it's the system, it's the culture, it's the foundation of their morals, the ways of expressing the degrees of barbarity are different because in this country...the barbarity has been supressed...we're expected to have a good family etc etc...that drives us underground, don't say you don't have some crazy idiosyncracy only you know about, in Iran it's different cos the barbarity is at the forefront of the society, therefore it's acceptable to get mad and stone your wife if she cheats...here we usually go and shag someone else...still barbaric...got it yet...more than likely not...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ha you're sooo missing the point...it's got othing to do with countries...it's the system, it's the culture, it's the foundation of their morals, the ways of expressing the degrees of barbarity are different because in this country...the barbarity has been supressed...we're expected to have a good family etc etc...that drives us underground, don't say you don't have some crazy idiosyncracy only you know about, in Iran it's different cos the barbarity is at the forefront of the society, therefore it's acceptable to get mad and stone your wife if she cheats...here we usually go and shag someone else...still barbaric...got it yet...more than likely not...

Hmmm no you are missing the point.

Its not that Iranians are somehow naturally barbaric because they are Iranian. I'm saying that Iran is a barbaric country.

So you think that morality is completely relative and if a society decided to view murder and stealing as acceptable then it would be ok because thats their "culture", according to you we'd have to say that its fine.
  • Options
    Hmmm no you are missing the point.

Its not that Iranians are somehow naturally barbaric because they are Iranian. I'm saying that Iran is a barbaric country.

So you think that morality is completely relative and if a society decided to view murder and stealing as acceptable then it would be ok because thats their "culture", according to you we'd have to say that its fine.

well yes basically...i already said it's wrong but if an Iranian thinks these sort of actions are acceptable because it's the culture then it's not his fault...if he feels it's perfectly justifiable to stone his wife if she cheats then thats ok to him just as it's ok for us to feel it's ok to sleep with someone else if our spouse cheats...two different methods of "revenge" but equally barbaric in terms of what our belief system is and what theirs is...i'm not talking about Iran the country...i'm talking about the people...
  • Options
    Don't know much about it beyond what Ive seen in documentaries...

I heard it was better than the present situation though.

An Iranian friend once told me about witnessing an anti-Shah demo before the Revolution, where the Army opened fire on the protestors from helicoptor gunships. Can't remember that happening lately.
  • Options
    Pretty stupid point.

So you think that Britain for instance is as barbaric as Iran because some British people like to get spanked by prostitutes? You're saying thats as barbaric as publicly stoning women to death because they have been raped?

Or killing 100,000 civilians because their leader abuses their human rights?

How about putting women and children in concentration camps because you are at war with their menfolk?

How about those civilised, well-behaved chaps getting off on pictures of children and babies being raped?

The Holocaust?

Having a bullet put through your knees and elbows for being a joy-rider?

What a marvellous thing Western civilisation eh? :hyper:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    An Iranian friend once told me about witnessing an anti-Shah demo before the Revolution, where the Army opened fire on the protestors from helicoptor gunships. Can't remember that happening lately.

The Iranian I know says she remembers the smell of blood when the revolution took place. And that while they weren't delighted about the Shah, then it was never as bad as when Khomeini came to power.

She told that people in Iran are so fed up, being that they have seen and experienced another life. She told me how she saw an old lady start hitting some sort of priest/clerc on the street and just curse away.
    And from the home videos I saw of a wedding, as long as people are indoor they don't care about the rules.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

She told me how she saw an old lady start hitting some sort of priest/clerc on the street and just curse away.

Probably his wife Jacqs, you get that all the time in British city centres on a Saturday night. :D
  • Options
    I guess ill be criticiesed for this comment but say in England we were to cut someones finger off who had done multiple burgularies dont you think that this would put others off doing it. Once its gone it cant be replaced and everyone will know what you've done. If this was the law im sure it would put people off commiting the crimes
  • Options
    Man shoots thieving teenager in back and gets praised for it.

No, not in Iran, but in Norfolk.

Think before you speak. Although the ruling elite in Iran and other "backward" countries are barabaric and brutal, they're not exactly dissuaded from behaving like that if it suits Western business. Think Musharraf, think Saudi, think the Contras, Chile...
  • Options
    If you're talking about Martin he was also jailed for it...
  • Options
    Barely. he got away with murder.

And he IS treated as a hero by much of the media.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Man shoots thieving teenager in back and gets praised for it.

No, not in Iran, but in Norfolk.

Think before you speak. Although the ruling elite in Iran and other "backward" countries are barabaric and brutal, they're not exactly dissuaded from behaving like that if it suits Western business. Think Musharraf, think Saudi, think the Contras, Chile...

Think about sending suspects to countries like that for the information you will receive when they are tortured..
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Barely. he got away with murder.

And he IS treated as a hero by much of the media.

After reading the case manslaughter seems fair.

And it doesn't matter how he's treated by the media its how he's treated by the state that matters. If Iran's media was calling for death by stoning because you bonked a married man, but the Iranian state was saying 'No -thats not a crime' I wouldn't have any problem with Iran.
  • Options
    People keep mentioning these "stonings" but nobody has actually showed any proof, other than hearsay.

He shot a boy that was running away from him in the back. he intended to cause GBH to the boy. It is murder.
  • Options
    People keep mentioning these "stonings" but nobody has actually showed any proof, other than hearsay.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/15825.shtml

http://www.awakenedwoman.com/wfafi_stoning.htm
    He shot a boy that was running away from him in the back. he intended to cause GBH to the boy. It is murder.

Given that he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic wasn't it diminshed responsibility?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, it doesn't really happen. You shouldn't believe a word of it, until and unless someone posts you the corpses and post-mortem reports. Short of that, you should see it all as a load of anti-Islamic lies. ;)
  • Options
    juanito wrote:
    Yeah, it doesn't really happen. You shouldn't believe a word of it, until and unless someone posts you the corpses and post-mortem reports. Short of that, you should see it all as a load of anti-Islamic lies. ;)

I PM'd him some videos, lets see if he withdraws his "hearsay" comment.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah, so they are barbaric. At least tehy are public about it. Check out your local papers for blokes beaten up for no reason, some killed.

Guantanamo bay? And various other detention centres? The actuall holding in Iraq of prisoners?

It was only a few years ago women were treated like that in the west. We're no so far ahead as you think. WW2 bought them rights over here, and people began to pay attention. Its not that long ago.

Im not condoning it. Just pointing out we aren't as great as you might think. Alot of Women are still abused in the west. More action needs to be taken. But until people can get over petty things, like starting wars because your different, no hope at all.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It was only a few years ago women were treated like that in the west.
    Stoning adulteresses? Throwing acid in the faces of unveiled women? Hanging raped girls? Chopping hands and feet off thieves? Yup, went on all the time here until "a few years ago". I remember it well. Firm but fair. ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :rolleyes: Honestly... were you about then? Ace. What was it like?

Its Historical terms it isn't that long, thats what im talking about. Im not talking like 20 years.
  • Options
    Yeah we aren't perfect. But do you think that slow hanging someone from a crane with a baying crowd cheering on, while the victims relatives are allowed to stab the convicted criminal as he hangs is the same as execution by lethal injection?
    It is worse. But all executions are barbaric.

Bollocks. It isn't practiced routinely. It was carried out by the soldiers in Iraq on a handful of occasions, it wasn't even torture by Iranian or Saudi standards. They made them perform humiliating acts and scared them. Nothing compared to what you might expect at the hands of Iranian, Saudi, syrian etc torturers. The torture in Iraq was illegal and the perpetrators were punished and vilified by all. How you can compare this to the routine torture that happens constantly in countries like Iran?
    If you really think that regular, old fashioned torture hasn't been ocurring in Gitmo, Afghanistan or Iraq you must be getting your news from Neptune.

Obviously you have to judge them on a case by case basis. This is the Iranian case :rolleyes:.
    Some Arab nations are more civilized than others. But in general they are far less civilized than ours.
    Are they really?
  • Options
    juanito wrote:
    Stoning adulteresses? Throwing acid in the faces of unveiled women? Hanging raped girls? Chopping hands and feet off thieves? Yup, went on all the time here until "a few years ago". I remember it well. Firm but fair. ;)
    And how often, and in how many Arabic countries, does that happen?

Muppet.
  • Options
    Its not just the type of executions - but what you are executed for which makes it worse. Does anyone honestly think executing someone for murder is the same as executing someone for adultery?

Though that said its certain circumstances I won't be crying in my beer for the person executed using Iranian methods http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4355029.stm