Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alternative Route

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello

I’m looking into my options for after 6th form and this article has struck me: (The teaching assistant part- page 15)

http://www.connexions-direct.com/_library/publications/WE%20%20Volunteering.doc

I think I would like to become a teacher, a possible plan in my mind runs something like this:

- Undertake a role similar to that in the above article either full-time or part-time
- Depending on the above- or after the first year begin studying for a degree part-time (Probably in English and Sociology or something similar) whilst working in school
- Then go for the GTP which is running in my area http://www.thelearningcity.co.uk/strategic/recruitment/teaching/GTP_Factsheet_04.pdf
- Overall I reckon that the whole process would take between 5-6 years depending on whether or not I study in the first year or not

Obvious advantages for me are:

- Staying close to home- I don’t think I would want to move away yet- and the cost is an obvious bonus!
- School is also close to home and will cut transport costs
- Studying and working part-time should offset debts completely if not a little- and the GTP year is paid
- I know the school, staff, way around etc and love it GTP year gives 2 placements- one with support of school and the other different
- Could study part-time in a University rather than local FE college and would therefore benefit from time away from home as well as work and staying close.

Disadvantages could be perceived differently by many people which is what I’d like your help with- what are your thoughts? Ideas? Experiences? How might the school react to this idea? How would you react to this idea? What should I propose to them? Paid work- if so what can I realistically do? Am keen to get involved in similar way to the girl in the case study did- a little but of everything- one-to-one, PSHE, Campaigns, Admin, Displays etc but am unsure if this could be paid? Should I make them aware of my ultimate intentions? What might they ask/criticise? When should I ask? (I’m in year 12)

All help/views/opinions welcomed!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hello :)

Seeing as you only 'think' you would like to become a teacher, I would suggest taking a university course in something that you are interested in. After you have a degree you can take a teacher training course which lasts a year and then you're qualified, plus you can decide not to if it's not what you want anymore. I also think that moving away from your parents is an important step towards full independance, and your attitudes towards that will probably change by the time you get to the end of year 13.

Kudos for actually having an idea of what you want to do though, I'm knocking on 20, hating my course and a little wary of the fact that I have to pretty much get on a career ladder in a year's time!

C
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My advice would be as follows ...

Get experience in a school. Nobody can work out if they want to be a teacher or not without going into a school and getting first hand experience. You may find out you can't hack it or you may change your mind.

Secondly, why would you want to do a part time degree? If you are going to do a degree then I would still do it full time. Although it is a full time degree you aren't in class 9-5, monday to friday. I managed to work in schools whilst doing my full time degree.

If you decide you like working in a school and you end up being sure of what you want to do then instead of doing the GTP I would advise you to do the BEd Primary Education degree instead of something like Sociology. I think you will find this a better course to do rather than doing a general degree and then PGCE or GTP. You do your placements and get to learn everything better than doing either of the other options.

If you *do* decide to do something like English/Sociology etc then don't just say "and then I will do the GTP". The Graduate Teaching Programme is a seriously competitive field. Each area only has a few places available each year and you can have at least 5/6 people going for each place. So if you do consider doing an English degree (for example) then consider doing a PGCE as well as GTP.

There are lots of different routes into teaching however, before deciding that you definitely want to teach then I would seriously consider going into a primary school, even just volunteering (it is hard to get a TA job without any experience) and see if you like it.

Take a look at the Teacher Training Agency website as well as the www.tes.ac.uk.
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for your replies

I'm not sure fi I made it clear littlemissy but I would want to work in secondary schools not primary schools so would therefore not consider the BEd?

The other degree option in a new one thats just started up at my local FE college- English with Education. I would want to do it part-time so that I could do roughly 50:50 school work/degree work and therefore offset the costs more.

Would definately keep looking around at the GTP/PGCE/SCITT etc but if I was asked now the GTP seems the perfect route for me- but of course options change and its 5 years away really...

I currently do what is known as 'leadership' in school- in 5 of my free lessons I volunteer as a TA in lessons.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    notebookkt wrote:
    Hi

Thanks for your replies

I'm not sure fi I made it clear littlemissy but I would want to work in secondary schools not primary schools so would therefore not consider the BEd?

The other degree option in a new one thats just started up at my local FE college- English with Education. I would want to do it part-time so that I could do roughly 50:50 school work/degree work and therefore offset the costs more.

Would definately keep looking around at the GTP/PGCE/SCITT etc but if I was asked now the GTP seems the perfect route for me- but of course options change and its 5 years away really...

I currently do what is known as 'leadership' in school- in 5 of my free lessons I volunteer as a TA in lessons.

Sorry, I didn't get that you were wanting to do secondary. Sorry about that.

Most of my advice still stands though. However, instead of doing a subject that you are interested in you have to do the subject you want to teach. For example, if you want to teach maths you have to have a maths degree (maybe a physics degree but in essence you get the picture!)

I would also still consider doing a full time degree as you are only in uni part time. You could still work part time in schools in order to help finance your education. That is what I did. I did the BEd and I worked in nurseries and schools part time for extra cash.