Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

alcohol alternatives?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My first venture here!

Now before anyone flames me, this is not a "ooo I'm needing to impress some friends by going that bit further than alcohol now" . Not at all. It's just a question that arose from a conversation with a friend, whereby we couldn't think of any legal alternatives to alcohol. The question first came about because I've been trying to stop drinking, but at the same time I ideally would want something that could act as a substitute, as a "social lubricant" as such lol.

So are there any?

Comments

• Options
    Well if you stand up really really quick you go dizzy for a bit. Ooor!!! Ya dont have a fag for like 6 hours then have one and stand up really really quick! Huge high, but dont last for very long.

Whats the point in giving up drinking if you still want the effect of alcohol? You dont need to get drunk just as a social lubricant as you put it.
  • Options
    if you are out with people who are drinking...and you are not...its not as fun, hence my ponderance about an alcohol substitute.
  • Options
    You're right, they should ban alcohol :razz:
  • Options
    May I ask your reasons for not wanting to drink alcohol. The only other legal drug that you could get away with doing in a pub/club is caffinee. One of my old mates used to swear by pro plus. She would get soooo hyper, it was almost like she was drunk. It says on the packets not to take more than 2 at once but she would take like 4.
    I wouldnt advise it tho, they can really mess up your body clock and the comedown is bad too.

Took me weeks to get over taking pro plus and I took the recomended dose.
  • Options
    its a health thing really. Have been trying to lose weight and i found previously that when i did stop drinking i felt healthier....but couldnt have as much fun when i went out with my mates.
  • Options
    diesel.
  • Options
    el_dude wrote:
    My first venture here!

Now before anyone flames me, this is not a "ooo I'm needing to impress some friends by going that bit further than alcohol now" . Not at all. It's just a question that arose from a conversation with a friend, whereby we couldn't think of any legal alternatives to alcohol. The question first came about because I've been trying to stop drinking, but at the same time I ideally would want something that could act as a substitute, as a "social lubricant" as such lol.

So are there any?

Confidence
  • Options
    lol true say.
  • Options
    saying that tho, thats a separate issue being addressed there, which i havnt specific chosen to refer to. You can be confident, sure i am with my friends, but if they are drinking and your not and your not having as good a time as them then confidence is redundant.
  • Options
    el_dude wrote:
    saying that tho, thats a separate issue being addressed there, which i havnt specific chosen to refer to. You can be confident, sure i am with my friends, but if they are drinking and your not and your not having as good a time as them then confidence is redundant.

All "good" drugs are illegal.

Alcohol is as close as you'll get to a decent legal drug...and even at that, it's pretty shite.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    May I ask your reasons for not wanting to drink alcohol. The only other legal drug that you could get away with doing in a pub/club is caffinee. One of my old mates used to swear by pro plus. She would get soooo hyper, it was almost like she was drunk. It says on the packets not to take more than 2 at once but she would take like 4.
    I wouldnt advise it tho, they can really mess up your body clock and the comedown is bad too.

Took me weeks to get over taking pro plus and I took the recomended dose.

screws up ur liver too
  • Options
    with some of the 'social lubrication' (i'll leave the Freudian analysis of that one to the rest of ya) that is derrived from alcohol (fighting, slips of the tongue, loudness, 'mistakes' and consequently ...um...PEOPLE!)...why would you need to replace this...if you arent liking the alcohol as a social drug...maybe you dont need or want this kind of (what could be described as) social crutch anymore, or maybe not as much of it...just thoughts really
  • Options
    Must admot tho, seeing all your mates getting pissed and having a laugh while your not drinking does feel a little strange, like your missing out on a good night.

There is always Red Bull... it gives you wings :D.
  • Options
    I'm always surprised the reputation Pro Plus gets, its just caffine and not really in that high a dose.

Each tablet is only 50mg, thats really not all that much, its relatively easy to consume 10 times that much in a day if you are a regular caffine user.
  • Options
    Some of my friends take slimming pills. These are quite often amphetamine based and they say they get a real high off them when they neck 4 or so when out clubbing... I'm sure that it ain't exactly 100% healthy but that could be an option, seeing as they're legal.

G.
  • Options
    They wont be amphetamine based, or if they are then they are not legal without a prescription and unless you are MASSIVE there is no GP who will give you them.

They will however have some compounds sort of related to amphetamine, lower down the chain as it where, more side effects and less high.

They may also not be totally legal either, if you are importing them and they contain ephadrine you may well need a licence to do that.

I dont think any tablets sold in the UK are allowed to have ephadrine in. They may have Mah Gong (sp?) which is the root from which ephadrine is extracted.

Basically taking lots of ephadrine or related compounds can cause heart palpatations, irregular heart beat and spike your blood pressure making heart attacks and strokes more likely.

Appart from that though they are fine.
  • Options
    It's certainly not a healthy attitude to drinking, many people drink FAR more than they should.

Its quite a childish attitude I think too, 'oooh look at me I can drink more than you' it becomes a my dad is harder than your dad contest.
  • Options
    'i can do more pills than you'...'come on you've only done a kiddies lung, ave a few more'...'bash up another one, that line was budge'...

harder, faster and stronger for longer...we like to be fucked by drugs...
  • Options
    That kind of macho culture has always been around though, I think the casual nature in which pills are used has changed.

The invention of the laddette has really changed the scene too.
  • Options
    Substitute for the alcohol induced social feelings?

Ecstacy.
  • Options
    Eat chocolate.

Eat this red herby thing that you put in Paella- I forget the name - it's meant to have mild hallucigonic (sp) effects. Or nutmeg.

Or smoke shisha, that makes you v. light headed.

Go to an oxygen bar, supposed to be good, expensive though, about £5 a shot.
  • Options
    poppers are good for a minute high that leaves you with a sore head

petrol,glue and solvents of any kind really also give a good buzz but are extremely dangerous, not long lasting and leave you with a sore head aswell

i'm afraid you're stuck with alcohol unless you want to go into the world of class A's and B's
  • Options
    Or nutmeg

NO DON'T DO THAT! nutmeg is hallucenogenic only because it is also a POISON. Nutmeg, in very large doses will cause you problems as it is a hepatotoxin, which means it causes servere liver damage!

the feeling you get from large amounts of nutmeg is the feeling of your body being poisoned.
  • Options
    Exactly, nutmeg is a deriliant rather than a hallucinogen, in that it poisons you to make you hallucinate.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Eat chocolate.

Eat this red herby thing that you put in Paella- I forget the name - it's meant to have mild hallucigonic (sp) effects.

Do you mean Saffron?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Do you mean Saffron?

Given the price of it would be a more expencive high than pure heroin.

(oh are you going to respond to my PM LadyJade?)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont think any tablets sold in the UK are allowed to have ephadrine in.

As far as I know there are still loads of cough/cold medicines that contain ephedrine if that's the same compound.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    As far as I know there are still loads of cough/cold medicines that contain ephedrine if that's the same compound.

They all have psuodoephadrine (sp?) rather than ephadrine, thats even lower down the scale, it has NO recreational use at all, other than to clear your nose.
  • Options
    Yes I meant saffron. It's pretty pricy though. I have a vague memory of eating some and going clubbing when I was 16.
  • Options
    Cheers guys.....i think having weighed this up its probably just going to have to be moderation of alcohol tho.

On a different, yet drug related note, is it true that menthol rub stuff like Vick's contains a form of speed?