Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sexual Health Policy (presentation)

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im writing a short-ish presentation on sexual health policy. Its my first presentation and Im struggling a little bit. Ive got loads of information on strategies and aims, but no clear cut actual policies. I think its the `term` policy that im having trouble with. Im concentrating on HIV and STIs for my part of the presentation and I cant find any clear lists of policies that are in place.
Are Policies and Strategies the same thing?
Would I be answering the wrong question if I concentrated on strategies and targets?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Policies and strategy are increasingly very similar domains. While they aren't the same, they are intertwined with each other. So, discussing strategies and targets would be valid.
  • Options
    I think the policy is more to do with the ideology behind the strategy. So your policy may be a certain way you think STIs should be looked and and dealt with, and therefore your strategy is the way you go about dealing with this in order to comply with the policy.

Am I making any sense there? My brain's not properly working today.

But yeah, I think they're basically the same thing just with a different nuance, so I'm sure your fine with strategies and targets.
  • Options
    I think the policy is more to do with the ideology behind the strategy
    :yes:
    think of a policy as a set of ideas/ aims; and a strategy as a detailed plan to try to accomplish those ideas/ aims.
  • Options
    Strategy and policy, in governmental terms, are largely synoymous.

You should PM Man of Kent and pick his brain.
  • Options
    A strategy is the method by which you enact a policy.

I have some info on sexual health policies from when I did a similar presentation last year. I'll dig it out if that would be helpful. When do you have to get it done by?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    A strategy is the method by which you enact a policy.

I have some info on sexual health policies from when I did a similar presentation last year. I'll dig it out if that would be helpful. When do you have to get it done by?
    That would be really useful if you didnt mind. I need to do it by monday. Ive made a good start but if theres anything that you think is particularly important?
    Im not keen on this presentation lark, Im not worried about standing up and talking, its the working out which bits are relevant that im finding hard, and what are the main points to put in - theres sooooo much stuff to cram into a short presentation.
  • Options
    I'll have a look tomorrow when I have a chance. I've just found our Powerpoint presentation on my computer which I can send - it's on Teenage Pregnancy rather than STIs so might not be relevant.

You may have Googled it already, but take a look and see if you can find your local PCT's policy.

What exactly do you need?
  • Options
    Depends what you are looking for really and the context. A policy will outline what the Govt/DOH want to achieve, the strategy is how they will get there.

I'm not aware of anything specific but I do know that Universities are getting a lot of attention and funding to look at treating the rising number of STD. There is a specific enhanced service which GPs can offer which pays them for doing much of the work which used to go to GUMs...
  • Options
    Try this

There's alink there about a presentation to a PEC. The PEC is the clinical management team in a PCT who a resonsible for the running of the PCT (in short), I can't open the presentation at home because I don't have powerpoint, but it might be worth a look...

Also, try the natpact website, there may be something on there...
  • Options
    Thankyou. Very helpful :)
  • Options
    I've been looking through some of my stuff, and most of it is actually about teenage pregnancy and I don't have a lot on STIs.

However, have a look at some of these links and I'm sure you'll find some useful information and ideas.

Co Durham Sexual Health and Teenage Pregnancy strategies
    Sexual Health services in Durham city at End House
    National Children's Bureau - sexual health policies
    Health Development Agency website
    Tacade - (I don't know anything about this)