Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Email to uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi. I'm going to send this email to the head of department at the uni i want to apply to next year. Can you guys check and see if it's OK?

Dear ...,

I am currently in my 5th year studying the following subjects:

Higher English
Higher Business Management
Higher Computing Studies

Intermediate 2 Mathematics
Intermediate 2 Music - Crash Course

I will not be able to apply for entry to the BA in Business course until my 6th year. I am hoping to sit the following subjects:

Higher Music
Higher Mathematics
Advanced Higher Business Management

I am also considering a Crash Course in Higher Administration.

I would appreciate your opinion on my choice of subjects and any suggestions. Could you also please include the entry requirements for 6th year admission?

Thanks, yada yada yada

Edited to sound more positive ;)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Thanks, yada yada yada
    I'd change that bit. Maybe put 'Yours faithfully, Jazza [Surname]'.

Change "lack of qualifications" to something more positive and "considering all goes well" to something more definite.

Other than that :thumb:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'd change that bit. Maybe put 'Yours faithfully, Jazza [Surname]'.

Change "lack of qualifications" to something more positive and "considering all goes well" to something more definite.

Other than that :thumb:
    :razz: It isn't my fault. I can only take 3 Highers this year since the columns fucked around my choice of subjects. i would be sitting 4 this year otherwise.
  • Options
    ^ It's all Scotch to me. :crazyeyes
    Jazza wrote:
    I will not be able to apply for entry to the BA in Business course until my 6th year.
    I will apply for entry to the BA in Business course in my 6th year.

Sounds better.

You also need a bit more of a preamble before going into your subjects. Something like:

"Having read the [insert uni name here] prospectus for entry [year], I am very keen to apply for a place to study for a BA in Business.

"I am currently studying for Highers in English, Business Management and Computing Studies as well as Intermediate 2 Mathematics and Music. I expect to achieve Highers in Music, Mathematics and Advanced Business Management by the time I apply to university. I am also considering a Crash Course [is this the official name for it?] in Higher Administration.

"I would value your opinion on the appropriateness of my choice of subjects and appreciate any suggestions you may have regarding ...[what do you want them to suggest?]. Could you also please include the entry requirements for 6th year admission [is this not in the prospectus?]?

"Yours faithfully/sincerely,
    Jazza [surname]"

If it's only an enquiry email, you may not even need that much detail. Here's a tip though - emails get deleted, letters get filed. If you want them to remember you, you may be better off spending 28 pence on a stamp and sending it by snail mail.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I am also considering a Crash Course [is this the official name for it?] in Higher Administration.

I dunno. It's what the teachers call it.
    Kentish wrote:
    [what do you want them to suggest?].

I want them to suggest any subjects that they think would benefit my entry to the course.
    Kentish wrote:
    [is this not in the prospectus?]?

Nope. It just says "Applicants to 6th year entry will be expected to have higher qualifications" or something like that.
    Kentish wrote:
    If it's only an enquiry email, you may not even need that much detail. Here's a tip though - emails get deleted, letters get filed. If you want them to remember you, you may be better off spending 28 pence on a stamp and sending it by snail mail.

I'll remember that :)
  • Options
    Crash Highers are the informal name for subjects you do at higher without having previously done the standard grade first.

Don't call them that in your email. Crash course has a negative undertone. Just say you are doing the higher.