Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Some Drug Facts According To 'The Daily Mail'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just sifting through an article in the Daily Mail, article titled;

'How Cannabis use soared as Labour softened the law'

Here are some quotes from the half page article...

- "In just two years, there was an increase of 23.5 per cent as many teenagers assumed the drug had been decriminalised."

- "In 2001, some 66,410 people were cautioned, convicted or otherwise dealt with by the courts for cannabis offences - the lowest for a decade. By the following year, numbers had gone up by nearly 12,000 to 78,050. In 2003, there was a further jump to 82,060, a rise of 23.5 per cent in just rwo years and a dramatic reversal of the decline of cannabis use detected since 1998."

- "There were big jumps, too, in the numbers of people caught using cocaine and crack over the same period."

- "The downgrading of cannabis, from a Class B drug alongside amphetamines to Class C, a category including prescription medicines and anabolic steroids, went ahead in January last year."

JUST A NOTE - What are they talking about, amphetamines have not been downgraded..... I even just googled it because i totally questioned myself..!

Here are some prices, and I quote;

- "The price of cannabis has dropped by around 40 per cent in five years, other Home Office figures showed yesterday. An Ounce of the drug which cost £100 in December 1999 would be just £61 now."

- "Cocaine fell from £63 a gram to £51 over the same period while herion slipped from £65 a gram to £55."

- "A 200mg 'rock' of crack is £18, down from £20 at the end of 1999."

- "And an extacy pill is now £4 instead of £11."

Just a few notes for you there, whoever reads this paper and these facts, especially people who are very uneducated on drugs (eg, 90% of the public) are going to read, and think, drugs are BAD! Period!

Comments

• Options
    Nash wrote:
    -
    £61 now."

!
    £60.99p here!
    who the fuck writes this stuff?
  • Options
    who would pay 11 quid for a pill!??
  • Options
    wankers, drug prices are different everywhere they are just complete n00bs when it comes to drugs.........£60 for an oz? of soapbar maybe, an oz of nice skunk still costs £130 on average, of course you can bulk buy and it goes down to £100-110, dunno where you'd find it for 60 it must be rubbish..........and lol dunno anyone who'd pay more than a fiver for pills, they've been that cheap for ageeeees tho, just goes to show what a waste of trees the daily mail are.
  • Options
    soap has been around the forty quid mark for yonks around here.
    or should that be forty one quid ...silly people.
  • Options
    Round here it's £50.99, what a load of shite.

Round here you wouldn't pay more than £3 for one at any time.
  • Options
    Quoted from Erowid;

'Amphetamine is Schedule 2/Class B in the U.K. making it illegal to possess without a prescription. Note that U.K. law changes any Class B drug to a Class A drug if it is prepared for injection.'

What the fuck are 'The Daily Mail' banging on about amphetamines being downgraded to Class C for!!! It makes me angry!! people believe this shit...!!!

Seems like they want to bring other drugs into the 'war' on cannabis...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Nash, you don't happen to have a link for that article on the website do you? If not, could you let us know what edition of the paper it was? Cheers!
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    - "There were big jumps, too, in the numbers of people caught using cocaine and crack over the same period."

- "The downgrading of cannabis, from a Class B drug alongside amphetamines to Class C, a category including prescription medicines and anabolic steroids, went ahead in January last year."

The first is true, it reflects a rise in the number of people using the drug.

I think you are reading the second one wrong, I says basically that cannabis used to be class B WITH amphetamines, now its class C with other things. See?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Nash, you don't happen to have a link for that article on the website do you? If not, could you let us know what edition of the paper it was? Cheers!
    I think this appeared in Wednesday's edition of the Daily Mail (2nd March) and click here for the report on the online version of the Mail. Also, feel free to take part in the poll which asks: do you think cannabis laws should be strengthened. Vote by clicking here.
  • Options
    Thanks Stargalaxy!
  • Options
    Some other articles from the Daily Mail:
    Cannabis may double mental illness (March 1st, 2005)
    Cannabis gran hopes to meet Blair (February 9th, 2005. Bit of an old one, but found it amusing personally)
  • Options
    Stargalaxy; Change your little AV thing, not only are you too young to see pictures like that but its not even a good picture.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Stargalaxy; Change your little AV thing, not only are you too young to see pictures like that but its not even a good picture.
    The good pictures are too explicit to put on display. In any case, you can talk Mr I-Haven't-Got-An-Avatar.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The good pictures are too explicit to put on display. In any case, you can talk Mr I-Haven't-Got-An-Avatar.

Exactly, for exactly the same reason I dont ever use poxy smilies, I have the ability to express myself without them.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly, for exactly the same reason I dont ever use poxy smilies, I have the ability to express myself without them.
    Yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:

Thank you for proving my point.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Thankfully I can grow my own mushrooms and cannabis, so I'm not supporting the drug underworld. At leastt hen I am not doing the state any dis-service by supporting big crime. A plant grown at home will only ever affect me and my mind... Nobody else.
    I guess to be morally correct I'd also have to turn down any psychiatric help offered for my condition brought about by the consumption of illegal substances, by the tax funded NHS, so as not to place the burden of resposibility upon them... They have already told us they are illegal, why should they pay for our medication when things go wrong?

You CAN grow them, but of course you wouldnt be admiting that.

Why do we treat those who 'bring it on themselves'? Because we are a compassionate society and if you deny treatment for one thing then you can for others, then the whole NHS is screwed.
  • Options
    Well quite, but then if you didnt want the drugs you could have just not 'cashed' the prescription.
  • Options
    And on another note, this would have to be the most rambling, random thread I have ever posted on....
  • Options
    Its only two pages.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Hoorah!

You like baked beans then LadyJade...

No I don't as it goes J...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    And on another note, this would have to be the most rambling, random thread I have ever posted on....
    :yippe: Rambling and random - just like the Daily Mail itself, really.
  • Options
    Teenagers who smoke cannabis are 4.5 times more likely than others to suffer problems, including schizophrenia by their mid-twenties.
    just be bloody careful if you find that you need to use drugs to have a good time.I ended up with schizophrenia, which is much like having my head bricked in on a daily basis

80% of people with mental health problems are cannabis smokers. Why people continue to worship this nasty drug is beyond me.
  • Options
    80% of people with mental health problems are cannabis smokers. Why people continue to worship this nasty drug is beyond me.

Where did you get this stat from? Even if we assume that it is true (and I certainly do think that cannabis can contribute to mental health problems), on its own it is a meaningless statistic. I'm sure 80% of people with mental health problems also eat potatoes. Does this mean that potatoes cause mental health problems? Or that people with mental health problems are more likely to eat potatoes? Or neither of these things?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Anyone who beleives what the Daily Nazi writes anyway, is stupid. That paper is nothing more than a right wing propaganda source. None of their scare stories are ver backed up, be it alcohol, drugs, videogames, or immigrants.

I wish pot was that cheap here, damn it!
  • Options

I'm sure a seriously high percentage of people with mental health issues drink alcohol too. Whats your point?
  • Options
    Drug abuse made me schizophrenic, violent, anxious and paranoid.

But.. I'm fixing myself now, I'm 100000% improved physically and mentally over the last 12 months.. still a constant battle though, but I know I'm constantly improving.. just the easiness I slip into depression pisses me off.

Ah well ! Still got time for a spritual journey now and again ;)
  • Options
    Also round here I pay £35 for an ounce of solids, then between £1-£2 for a pill, always aim for £1.50 max wherever possible..

Green is pricey @ £140 for a regular supply.. :/ Nice gap in the market for anyone round here? ;)
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Also, feel free to take part in the poll which asks: do you think cannabis laws should be strengthened. Vote by clicking here.

Should cannabis laws be strengthened again?

1 Yes - the soft approach hasn't worked
    9%

2 No - it's not a major problem
    91%

Thank you for voting.

ok, common, own up. who's been repeatedly voting? or... is that’s the readers of the daily mail's view :eek: