Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

One or Two years at college?

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, i've been thinking of doing onyl the one, finishing after this year.

Is it honestly worth doing a second? Do the qualifications really benifit me that much? I don't know how good AS levels really are.

Thanks for any advice. :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    AS tend to be a stop gap to fill the bung incase you dont pass your second year, they are better than nothing, and might make you stand out in a field of gcse people, but most people asking for qualifications ask for A level (A2)

or they are often if someone is brainy or can cope with the workload, then a little extra onto the list of achievements is no harm, but on AS alone i wouldnt know about their goodness
  • Options
    Is it honestly worth doing a second? Do the qualifications really benifit me that much?
    it all depends on what you want to do with yourself afterwards???
  • Options
    Maybe if you do the AS before doing A2 it will help you, as you will have a knowledge of the subject, before being thrown into doing it for A-level. Would you be able to cope?
  • Options
    you have to do the AS before the full A2

A2 is the AS level but with another year on top
  • Options
    AS levels are a huge leap up from GCSE- if you are planning on taking them choose subjects you are really interested in. They are certainly looked on favourably as they require determinatation and hard work

Take a couple at least- three is best and take advatnge of free courses like the European Computer Dirivng Liscense, Key Skills and General Studies if you can.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I did 3 years. :razz:

Yes, I think 2 years is better. To be honest I don't see much point in doing just the 1.
  • Options
    if u want to go to uni you need 2years.

you might find it limits you career wise too - i could be wrong tho