Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Money to burn?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just been browsing around on Ebay and there's a Harry Potter book (first edition hardback) currently at 17 bids! The current max bid is £2.000 or you can buy it now for the bargain price of £9.000.

What would you buy if you had money to burn and would you spend 2 grand or 9 grand on a book?

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    If I had money to burn then, first of all, I would. It'd be funny.

And then I'd buy a pub, and it'd only serve ale. And anyone who I liked would get free pintage.
  • Options
    (1) What would you buy if you had money to burn?
    (2) would you spend 2 grand or 9 grand on a book?
    (1) Not burn it. (2) No.
  • Options
    If I had money to burn I wouldn't have my mother on at me about getting a job.

I'd just sit online all day tbh :|

And no, I wouldn't spend that much on a book.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would just splurge it all on things that I wanted and not needed. I have been poor for too long now IMO. Stupid student-hood.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I'd spend it on swords and meat.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I'd spend it on swords and meat.
    Yarr, shouldn't ye bury ye treasure chest of ye olde money?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yarr, shouldn't ye bury ye treasure chest of ye olde money?
    Or spend it on ye wench, yarr?
  • Options
    Or spend it on ye wench, yarr?
    Yarr, Dr Pirate and ye wench be needing ye olde money!
  • Options
    most of us are burning money ...leaving the lights on and the heating up to high and ...smoking bleedin fags!"
  • Options
    most of us are burning money ...leaving the lights on and the heating up to high and ...smoking bleedin fags!"

:D so true

if i'd money to burn i'd probably be dead after one weekend, seriously like

nope i wouldn't spend that money on a book, i'd rather give it to charity or something, like fuck sakes, people spending £80 million on picassos while parts of africa dies in hunger...we're a really kind species :confused:
  • Options
    money costs to much.
  • Options
    i sure as hell wouldn't spend £9000 on a harry potter book. people are stupid.

if i was filthy stinking rich i might spend that kind of money on the first edition of a good, classic book.

probably not though.

and i would buy a house. a really nice one. that's currently top of my wish list.
  • Options
    if i had money to burn, i'd:-

buy a really nice country pub...
    buy a porsche boxer along with a ferrari...
    buy a heavily forested mass of land...
    build a really ace holiday home in south america...
    buy a plane so i could go skiing in switzerland every weekend...
    and of course, give loads of money to CAFOD to help with worldwide causes...

and :no: - i wouldn't spend £9000. on a harry potter book - i hate harry potter.
  • Options
    If i had loads of money, i'd buy a nice 2 bed flat in london, sort all my health problems out (i've got frigging bupa cover as it....), retake my GCSEs, let my mum retire to northen spain (too many tourists here..), buy myself a really nice guitar, a nice piano or a midi keyboard and set up a recording studio, pay off my debts, pay off someone elses debts, and have some peace of mind that i've got money in the bank...unlike my mesaly 10€ i have right now....:(
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    You're not old enough to have debt

She probably means the ten quid she owes to a mate.

Not real, manly, debts like mine :yeees:
  • Options
    My friend sold his first edition HP and the Philosopher's Stone for about £900 a few years ago. Everyone told him to wait and now look. If he had waited we (yes, we) could have spent the earnings on fast cars and loose women.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    My friend sold his first edition HP and the Philosopher's Stone for about £900 a few years ago. Everyone told him to wait and now look. If he had waited we (yes, we) could have spent the earning on fast cars and loose women.

yeh but i bet at the time it was like "Holy fuck...£900, i wonder how many 9 bars i could buy with that!"
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    yeh but i bet at the time it was like "Holy fuck...£900, i wonder how many 9 bars i could buy with that!"

I'm sure we would have done if we knew what a 9 bar was.
  • Options
    2000€ for my C&G course, plus over 10000€ in schooling costs for the past 2 years.

yeah....i'm old enough to be in debt. ok, i only owe my mum but it's still debt none the less.
  • Options
    2000€ for my C&G course, plus over 10000€ in schooling costs for the past 2 years.

School fees aren't really debt. I'd probably pay my parents back if I had that much money, but it's not debt.
  • Options
    it is when you parents turn around and say i want this payed back within 10 years.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    She probably means the ten quid she owes to a mate.

Not real, manly, debts like mine :yeees:

I owed my mum £600, and i was 16 :P, also started my job so i had no pay packets for like 3 months! :D
  • Options
    money already burns a hole in my pocket! but if i had a never ending supply, oof.
  • Options
    it is when you parents turn around and say i want this payed back within 10 years.

will they come and repossess your stuff if you don't pay? or send bailiffs round? that would amuse me.
  • Options
    What would you buy if you had money to burn
    All the clothes i wanted and some new rollerblades
    and would you spend 2 grand or 9 grand on a book?
    only if i could make a guaranteed profit when selling it
  • Options
    I thought those 1/1 Harry Potter books were one of a 500 print, not a 300?
  • Options
    If I had money in Rockefeller dimensions, then yes, I would buy a book for that price. But not some Harry Potter shit.
    Had I money to burn I'd first and foremost expand my wardrobe, by jet-setting around the world on shopping vacations :D
  • Options
    will they come and repossess your stuff if you don't pay? or send bailiffs round? that would amuse me.

knowing my mother....she'd do that for a laugh and then give it all back....
  • Options
    I have just always wanted to just walk into my favourite shops, buy whatever I liked the look of without looking at the price not worried how much it is going to cost me.
  • Options
    How much are we talking? Like millions, thousands, hundreds? what?

If i was a millionare i suppose 9 grand for a book wouldn't be that much too me although there are so much better things money can be spent on.

I would buy some nice clothes, build up my trainer and underwear collection a bit more, buy a nice house, a nice car go on holida, buy all my food from marks and sparks (ha:p) etc but once you have done all that what else are you going to use your money for? I think i would just buy people nice presents and what not.