Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Best Free PHP Forum Script

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the best script out there?

I've used phpBB which is free but thought invision used to be free as well but it seems to be charged for now?

I need to look into a forum for a club that meets once a month and I suggested thay have an online forum to communicate for the rest of the month

Ideally I want normal forum stuff, plus a calendar and a customisable profiles page so each member can write about themselves, their skills and how they can help other members - also a photo of themselves.

Comments

• Options
    I really like www.ikonboard.com - it's very flexible as well. Check it out, see what you think.
  • Options
  • Options
    All good suggestions.

I have some test website space 100mb with PHP and 4 spare MySQL Databases, if I knock up a nice demo site on there how easy is it to move to another webserver with the MySQL Database?

I want to have a play over the weekend with some stuff and show the other club memebers what they think but after that it will need to be moved.
  • Options
    phpBB because i don't know any better!
  • Options
    In the end I used PHPNuke I first tried PostNuke cos it's built into my webspace anyway but there was no forum included and when I tried to add one it didn't work. :no:

So tried PHP Nuke and worked better. now I've done a fairly good demo site so don't wanna to too much to it now unless I know it can be moved without losing all my hours of work!
  • Options
    You can fairly easily back up a MySQL database and restore it onto another one, but you have to have access to the databases that allows you to do that.

If you can do that, then you can move it.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    You can fairly easily back up a MySQL database and restore it onto another one, but you have to have access to the databases that allows you to do that.

If you can do that, then you can move it.

Well my ISP has a Plesk 7 interface and that allowed me to setup the database inthe first place and import an SQL file to create all the feilds, etc inthe inital setup so I assume it's good enough to backup it all up and there is abackup feature in PHPNuke but not sure about a restore for moving.
  • Options
    Well my ISP has a Plesk 7 interface and that allowed me to setup the database inthe first place and import an SQL file to create all the feilds, etc inthe inital setup so I assume it's good enough to backup it all up and there is abackup feature in PHPNuke but not sure about a restore for moving.

If there is no restore function in the phpnuke, then what I would do is to get a mysql backup, install phpnuke on the new server setup in much the same way, then just overwrite the database on the new server with your backed-up stuff and fix any minor config changes.