Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Asthma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I know if I have it? I sometimes (like now) have a tendency to cough, and my breathing seems obstructed, but my throat is dry, and there is nothing to cough out.

So, might this be asthma? Is there a way for a doctor to tell?

Comments

• Options
    i think developing asthma as an adult is really rare, its more a problem with breathing rather than coughing and most adults that have it carry it over from childhood.my boyf has it . personally it sounds like too much central heating or an allergy eg dust, but im definately not a doctor so suggest you check with someone who is, or has medical knowledge eg kentish.
  • Options
    i think developing asthma as an adult is really rare
    Not really, but asthma in childhood is certainly common in this country.

nmrmak, a dry cough in the morning and shortness of breath are symptoms of asthma, but you really need to see your family doctor about it. In the meantime, you may find this interesting.
  • Options
    It's like my lung capacity is lowered temporarely. But it's night here, so it's not a morning cough. Also, my lungs make a strange noise when i breathe in.

Thank you for the link, and as Microsoft says: If the problem persists, I will contact a system administrator. In this case a doctor.
  • Options
    Ok, after some 10 minutes of dry coughing, i can breathe normally again, and i cough normally (with mucus). No weird sounds any more.
  • Options
    Im 16 and Asthma runs in my family i was diagnosed with it in december after having a suspected chest infection for a month before the doctor would even see me! they do a breath flow test and listen to your lungs. My asthma seems to be getting worse now :crying: i cant go without taking my becotide (brown inhaler) twice a day. if i dont take it i have bad asthma attacks every few hours or so.
  • Options
    They can measure your peak flow measure.

More info.
  • Options
    just to ask, what is your peak flow ment to be? when we did it in school the other day, mine was only 230, i had the lowest in my class. my vital cpacity was also v. low!
  • Options
    my nurse said that the average peak flow was supposed to be 5 but im not which measurement, i know my peak flow was only 2.2