Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

postal monopoly to end sooner than expected

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    story

Is there actually any point to this?

Why not? I can't see any reason to keep a monopoly and the Post Office as a business is crap. After doing temp work for them on two occasions I can understand the need for an alternative, competition may actually help as they are far too complacent and slack with their service.
  • Options
    So long as Royal Mail is kept in public hands and not neglected...
  • Options
    Real competition improves service. I wonder what will happen.
  • Options
    It's a natural monopoly.

Royal Mail has issues to sort out, but competition isn't necessarily the solution because business post and large volume mailings will be the business that they seek, which will lead to the neglect of the roadside pillar boxes and indivudally posted items.
  • Options
    Agreed, and these proposals will leave remote communities in the lurch
  • Options
    How is it going to work anyway? Will every company that wishes to offer their services plant their own mailboxes all over towns and cities? You won't be able to see the pavement from the mailboxes soon enough...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How is it going to work anyway? Will every company that wishes to offer their services plant their own mailboxes all over towns and cities? You won't be able to see the pavement from the mailboxes soon enough...
    Presumably similar to the railways - companies bidding for franchises. A disaster IMHO.
  • Options
    I hope that's not the case. It wouldn't be real competition anyway- just as privatised railways are not affected by competition since they have monopolies of their routes.
  • Options
    Aye, and prices keep going up.
  • Options
    In the new market, Royal Mail will still be required to provide a universal postal service for first and second class mail of one delivery and one collection each working day at a uniform price throughout the UK.

As long as that is not allowed to change I don't really see a problem.
  • Options
    As long as that is not allowed to change I don't really see a problem.

Prices will increase though - it costs relatively the same (for the postal service) to send one letter from here to scotland (here being leicester) as two. But if you have two companys running one letter each - the cost is doubled because there are 2 posties, 2 vans, 2 trains or planes, etc etc. And some people will inevitably use the other services, thus increasing the cost for Royal mail and the other providers wont get much profit, and in the end the services won't be that good (because there's not much profit incentive) and will be more expensive.

Basically the explanation of a natural monopoly - you don't need two postal services, one will do fine. That said, things like the national grid, railways, and such are natural monopolys too - but they're just cut up so different bits are provided by different people. Which I don't think is how the mail will work.
  • Options
    royal mail didnt use to be so crap its only when the government decided to begin the privitsation of regular mail services that services started to decline as targets were put upon them