Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Escaping modern day society

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is this possible? Are there still small, close knit communities like the one in heartbeat :p where the biggest thing they ever have is missing radishes? Where council meetings are about simple things like the broken wooden fence, should we replace it with barbed wire?

Why I ask, is because personally, I don't enjoy the current shift in lifestyles / living standards. I prefer space out in the country and a 'simple' country bumpkin life, yet no matter where you go these days it seems to be dominated by the same motorways, McDonalds and big lights in the city.

Of course, I could move away from everything, but then I probably wouldn't be able to survive - I was just thinking of starting a debate on whether a society (like Ireland's, I beleive) can exist in the UK where we have strong family values and morals, know what's right from wrong, are quite traditionalist but still embrace the modern world.

Comments

• Options
    It's possible, why don't you go round and have a chat with your neighbours, see what they think.
  • Options
    WTF difference does that make?
  • Options
    You've got your head in the clouds. It's no different in the country. You get rare clusters, but they happen as much in towns and cities as they do in the country.
  • Options
    Yes, there are still small towns/villages that have that sort of mentality, at least where I work. WI coffee mornings, everyone knowing everyone else, it's still the norm in many rural areas round here.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whowhere wrote:
    Yes, there are still small towns/villages that have that sort of mentality, at least where I work. WI coffee mornings, everyone knowing everyone else, it's still the norm in many rural areas round here.

It's like that where I live.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You might find something interesting here

:)
  • Options
    It is possible to escape modern life....on a fox hunt for example.
  • Options
    Society naturally progresses, not always for the better. If you lived in the middle ages, your life would have been dominated by the Church and some greedy pardoner. 50 years ago you would have had the government tellng you to hide under a table in case of a nuclear attack. Today, some foregin company called 'Coca-cola' is in your university selling drinks. :banghead:

These little rural idyllic lives never really existed, those times life was harder for rural communities. Now, where I live in the country (not my family), middle-aged middle class professionals who have land rovers expect you with your old Micra to get off the road, in case they get it dirty on the way home to their converted barn.

I would love it if things were simple and I could just grow apples, but the neighbours may complain there's some shadow on their outdoor jacuzzi.
  • Options
    You can find all that in cities, community groups, everybody knowing each other is not a rural only experience.

My mate moved from Somerset to bristol to get away from the smack scene there when he gave up. He knew more people on it there than here as there was little in the way of entertainment for young people and bad transport services, boredom was a problem and the Devil makes work for idle hands.

Not knocking rural life but I don't think its better than urban life its down to the individuals preference. Personally I prefer a nice cafe bar and DJ set up to darts in The Slaughtered Lamb. :nervous:
  • Options
    Society naturally progresses, not always for the better. If you lived in the middle ages, your life would have been dominated by the Church and some greedy pardoner. 50 years ago you would have had the government tellng you to hide under a table in case of a nuclear attack. Today, some foregin company called 'Coca-cola' is in your university selling drinks. :banghead:

These little rural idyllic lives never really existed, those times life was harder for rural communities. Now, where I live in the country (not my family), middle-aged middle class professionals who have land rovers expect you with your old Micra to get off the road, in case they get it dirty on the way home to their converted barn.

I would love it if things were simple and I could just grow apples, but the neighbours may complain there's some shadow on their outdoor jacuzzi.

I know we've never had it better - but sometimes there are places where things are simple. Small communities that revolve around the post office etc. - they aren't perfect but I assure you they're better than a deprived council estate or an urban jungle of flats overrun with gangs. I might be over exaggerating, but I want a simple laid back life...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    BlackArab wrote:
    Personally I prefer a nice cafe bar and DJ set up to darts in The Slaughtered Lamb. :nervous:

Personally I prefer genreal life in the country. Free forest parties, local pubs, coppers you know and the general feeling you can get away with so much more.
    If you want a night on the town it's only a taxi trip away.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Personally I prefer genreal life in the country. Free forest parties, local pubs, coppers you know and the general feeling you can get away with so much more.
    If you want a night on the town it's only a taxi trip away.

Thats my whole point, personal preference, theres positives and negatives for both and neither are better than the other.

The Slaughtered Lamb was tongue in cheek, personally I love it when I walk into a country pub and everyone stops and stares at me. I feel like a celebrity. :cool:
  • Options
    I'd die in such a place where everyone knew everyone. I'd feel claustrophobic and strangled and bored.
    I love the city. I love being able to get home at all times of day, and be able to run to the nearest 7/11 at 5am after a night out.

Either way, such communities do exist. Just watch "The Simple Life" :D
  • Options
    well i live on the outskirts of a city but it's rural enough for it to be a community, it's alright because you feel safer and there's always some sort of mundane irrelevant gossip going about. that's funny because you're young and you want to get wasted, not talk about what happened to MR such and such up the road.
  • Options
    Is this possible? Are there still small, close knit communities like the one in heartbeat :p where the biggest thing they ever have is missing radishes? Where council meetings are about simple things like the broken wooden fence, should we replace it with barbed wire?

Why I ask, is because personally, I don't enjoy the current shift in lifestyles / living standards. I prefer space out in the country and a 'simple' country bumpkin life, yet no matter where you go these days it seems to be dominated by the same motorways, McDonalds and big lights in the city.

Of course, I could move away from everything, but then I probably wouldn't be able to survive - I was just thinking of starting a debate on whether a society (like Ireland's, I beleive) can exist in the UK where we have strong family values and morals, know what's right from wrong, are quite traditionalist but still embrace the modern world.

Ireland? lol...Ireland largely ain't much different from the UK.

I agree with your view, though...

A simple country life is appealing...

Only things you could theoretically do is join a pre-existing society (they exist, but i don't know much about them) or pool enough people with enough funds together and purchase your own plot of land, and start it off from scatch.

I've often wondered about creating a separate republic, although that's a different issue.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Only things you could theoretically do is join a pre-existing society (they exist, but i don't know much about them) or pool enough people with enough funds together and purchase your own plot of land, and start it off from scatch.

You, erm, didn't click on my link then?
  • Options
    You, erm, didn't click on my link then?

Belatedly, yeah :nervous: .
  • Options
    i am a country boy ...after having burned the city out ...and having to leave ...my sanity was waiting for me in the countryside ...we met up on a dark beach.
    we decided neither of us could go back to the city ever again. so we don't but I do occasionaly pop back and get slaughtered.
    forrests and mountains and beaches and valleys ...any day over car parks and car parks and ...
  • Options
    I don't want to live in a commune though :p I want my own house, and such, but live in a small village thats pre-established etc etc. Maybe 20 families or something like that...

It just seems these days society is being almost industrialised - we go through a production life from the moment we are born to the moment we die; I'd like a little freedom to take walks in some strange fields somewhere and just go fishing with a net to catch some iddly piddly things in the local stream.
  • Options
    I don't want to live in a commune though :p I want my own house, and such, but live in a small village thats pre-established etc etc. Maybe 20 families or something like that...

It just seems these days society is being almost industrialised - we go through a production life from the moment we are born to the moment we die; I'd like a little freedom to take walks in some strange fields somewhere and just go fishing with a net to catch some iddly piddly things in the local stream.
    so sweet ...yet so dark ...
  • Options
    so sweet ...yet so dark ...

The dark is refreshing from the constant glare of streetlights etc though. Did you know, in cities and built up urban areas where there are lots of cars etc it creates a blanket that apparently makes the city 'glow' so the light is semi-reflected off the air too... I'm not sure if this is true, mind you....
  • Options
    The dark is refreshing from the constant glare of streetlights etc though. Did you know, in cities and built up urban areas where there are lots of cars etc it creates a blanket that apparently makes the city 'glow' so the light is semi-reflected off the air too... I'm not sure if this is true, mind you....
    yes i do know about light pollution and the fact that on a clear night here ...the stars hang like grape clusters ...my old eyes can see a bazillion light years!
    it was a different kind of dark i was reffering to though.
  • Options
    yes i do know about light pollution and the fact that on a clear night here ...the stars hang like grape clusters ...my old eyes can see a bazillion light years!
    it was a different kind of dark i was reffering to though.

Oh? Some kind of evil? :nervous: I had a nightmare the other day about Baal, whoever that God is. :confused:
  • Options
    Oh? Some kind of evil? :nervous: I had a nightmare the other day about Baal, whoever that God is. :confused:
    any bets going that he's a god of some kind of nightmare?
  • Options
    any bets going that he's a god of some kind of nightmare?

Definitions of baal on the Web:

any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples; the Hebrews considered Baal a false god
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

Word which means "lord, master" (in Modern Hebrew, "husband") that was applied to the chief god of Canaan; various locations in Canaan had their patron Baal gods, for example, Baal of Peor and Baal of Hermon.
    www.hope.edu/academic/religion/bandstra/RTOT/GLOSSARY/B.HTM

A Canaanite-Phoenician term meaning "lord" or "master," the name applied to Canaan's most popular fertility god. Worshiped as the power that caused germination and growth of farm crops, Baal was a serious rival to Yahweh after the Israelites settled in Palestine and became dependent on agriculture (Judg. 2:11-14). He is pictured as a god of storm and rainfall in a contest with the Yahwist Elijah on Mount Carmel (1 Kings 18:20-46).
    highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767429168/student_view0/chapter_4/glossary.html

meaning "lord," Ball, the god worshiped by the Canaanites and Phoenicians, was variously known to them as the son of Dagon and the son of El. He was believed to give fertility to the womb and life-giving rain to the soil (NIV Study Bible).
    inside.georgefox.edu/academic/dept/religion/students/ot_resources/glossary.html
  • Options
    Nobody knows who's right or wrong and morals are unique to the individual and traditionalist... In some traditions it's Ok to beat up women or keep them in the kitchen 24/7.

If however you mean living in the country and farming... It'd probably be quite hard trading microwave meals and public transport for skinning a buck and preparing it raw and endless treks up hills.

I do empathise with you about wanting a chnge of environment, however personally I just wanna get away from this bitchy superficial society where the height of intellectual conversation is what's going on on Emmerdale and 'good' music tends to be people making crappy dance remixes of classic songs like Poison and California Dreamin'.

Y'know, dunno if you're in to this sort of thing, but for Beltane (May Day) last year I went on a weekend in Licolnshire (I think) at a Shiatzu centre that was very spiritual and back to basics. People of all cultures had come together to celebrate the fertility festival... A Christian, Pagans, Taoists, Buddhists ect. Ok, the food was vegetarian, but cooked over an open fire and tasted quite nice. Everybody was so accepting and whilst we'd do things like the May pole or build sweatlodges in the day, at night we'd sit in a teepee playing instruments (mainly drums, clarinet & a digireedoo). Quality weekend... Beautiful.
  • Options
    MoonRat wrote:
    If however you mean living in the country and farming... It'd probably be quite hard trading microwave meals and public transport for skinning a buck and preparing it raw and endless treks up hills.

i actualy manage to do both quite weel.
    i kill chickens and rabbits and eat them. i also shop at a supermarket.
    i have a mix of the old with the new.
    i'm hoping by the end of the year to be producing electricity from a nearby stream but it gets quite technical and the legalities are a friggin nightmare ...most of which might have to ignored.
  • Options
    i actualy manage to do both quite weel.
    i kill chickens and rabbits and eat them. i also shop at a supermarket.
    i have a mix of the old with the new.
    i'm hoping by the end of the year to be producing electricity from a nearby stream but it gets quite technical and the legalities are a friggin nightmare ...most of which might have to ignored.
    I admire people who rough it like that, I'd love to go out hunting or breed my own lifestock. What are the legalities of electric?
  • Options
    MoonRat wrote:
    I admire people who rough it like that, I'd love to go out hunting or breed my own lifestock. What are the legalities of electric?
    producing electricity means i HAVE to sell any excess into the national grid ...i also have to have an electric meter and recieve bills or credits ...they can piss off on that one.
    the other problem is using a flowing water source. i will have to make alterations to a small section of stream bed and lengthen a bend.
    did you know ...even if you have your own well ...welsh water actualy own the water in it in many instances.
    a military friend is going to be doing this for me so ...it will all be very well hidden ...out of site out of mind kind of ...
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    The Slaughtered Lamb was tongue in cheek, personally I love it when I walk into a country pub and everyone stops and stares at me. I feel like a celebrity. :cool:
    lol, me and my friends actually got that reaction when we went to a pub near London, in Cockfosters. It was called the Cock and Dragon i think. They looked at me so weirdly for ordering a pint of lager that i changed my mind and asked for a smirnoff ice, and thy made me use a glass with it :eek: