Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is everything gradually becoming more homogenised

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
cause it seems so and is depressing

Comments

• Options
    J wrote:
    I swear it's all part of the new world order. They'll heard us all ... .
    no ...most are walking blindly and willingly forward into it.
  • Options
    Yep.

Every shop sells the same shit, every town has the same shops selling the same shit, and every country has the same towns with the same shops selling the same shit. And to get to the same towns its the same bus company with the same Barbie colours, or it's the same car on identical mile after mile of motorway.

Insult somebody and you're racist, give a tenner to the TEC and you're a wonderful human being, pay your taxes, vote, shut up, be quiet.

I've given up waiting for a revolution. People are happy to shop at Tesco, eat McDonald's, drink Robert Wiseman milk; people have been assimilated.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    people have been assimilated.
    the scary bit is when they realise!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey, you don't like it? Buy your groceries from your local trader. Don't spend money on the high street.

I hate the fact that all the high streets are the same.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yep.

Every shop sells the same shit, every town has the same shops selling the same shit, and every country has the same towns with the same shops selling the same shit. And to get to the same towns its the same bus company with the same Barbie colours, or it's the same car on identical mile after mile of motorway.

Insult somebody and you're racist, give a tenner to the TEC and you're a wonderful human being, pay your taxes, vote, shut up, be quiet.

I've given up waiting for a revolution. People are happy to shop at Tesco, eat McDonald's, drink Robert Wiseman milk; people have been assimilated.

Well, start one then... I'll follow you...

Into your belief what is good! - it will spread like wildfire... and every town and shop will start doing it - because its good...

Hang on...
  • Options
    yes for all the talk of encouraging diversity and multi-culturalism it does seem we are in fact losing our identity.....the chav trend is one example, the burberry-cap, fake bling..........they blindly follow what they believe to be 'fashionable', but really they just don't have any identity of their own, don't know how to express themselves, and look to attach themselves to a collective in case they're perceived as uncool..........go down chatham it's like a town of clones........and yes it is depressing.
  • Options
    if farmers the world over were allowed to grow hemp ...all the biodiesel for ther planet would be produced.
    cleaning the air as it supplied the fuel.
    the money ...would not be going to faceless and militarily and politicaly armed corporations ...it would be going back into the farming comunities ...
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    yes for all the talk of encouraging diversity and multi-culturalism it does seem we are in fact losing our identity.....the chav trend is one example, the burberry-cap, fake bling..........they blindly follow what they believe to be 'fashionable', but really they just don't have any identity of their own, don't know how to express themselves, and look to attach themselves to a collective in case they're perceived as uncool..........go down chatham it's like a town of clones........and yes it is depressing.

Everyone loves to be part of a group. Public school kids are the same, they all look like clones.
  • Options
    if farmers the world over were allowed to grow hemp ...all the biodiesel for ther planet would be produced.
    cleaning the air as it supplied the fuel.
    the money ...would not be going to faceless and militarily and politicaly armed corporations ...it would be going back into the farming comunities ...

not enough around and that would kill bio diversity too different areas are suited for different things, however in regions that are good for growing it, you could probably produce enoughto reduce need of oil
  • Options
    I don't buy from local traders because they shut before I finish work.
  • Options
    Everyone loves to be part of a group. Public school kids are the same, they all look like clones.
    That's it though - they're kids.

Youngsters are often insecure about their identities, so it's not really a prime example. Although I do partially blame the media for them being so insecure in the first place.

If you look at adults, although you will see chavs, there are far less of them compared to younger people. So surely this suggests a lot of people grow out of it?

(I hope they do anyway :nervous: )
  • Options
    the fact is though, no one is willing to stop it. no one is willing to buck the trend. everyone seems to be happy with being put in a box and to have the lid shut forever. Kermit is very right, pretty much everything (especialy in spain) is the same, the motorways, the shops, the city centers. ok, yes there are still little jems of what used to be, like the alhambra in granada....but the rest is going fast. i remember when i was little going to the local corner shop, which wasn't in a chain and sold local food. that doesn't happen now. there are no corner shops, and the supermarkets sell food thats been shipped half way across the world, thats the same in every single supermarket.

bring on the revolution because i have had enough.
  • Options
    Frankly I think you are all talking bollocks........

If anyone has a clear cut way they would prefer the world to be like then go for it, and explain why this would be so much better........
  • Options
    Scarlet wrote:

If you look at adults, although you will see chavs, there are far less of them compared to younger people. So surely this suggests a lot of people grow out of it?

(I hope they do anyway :nervous: )
    My boyfriend used to be a chav, before I knew him, and he's completely outgrown it.
    I think whether or not they outgrow it depends on whether they go out, get a job and start to see more than their chavtown or whether they have a baby and live the rest of their life off benefits in a council house...

And with school kids being clones, uniforms don't help. Any sense of an individual touch and they get penalised for being different, by the teachers.
  • Options
    And with school kids being clones, uniforms don't help. Any sense of an individual touch and they get penalised for being different, by the teachers.

im not getting into an argument about uniforms here but you are so wrong on that, uniforms tend to work really well, if a teenager wants to be individual, do it when theyre done for the day
  • Options
    i thought the idea of uniforms was so poorer people with less 'fashionable' clothes are not targeted or made fun of and everyone is made to feel equal........and yes people can outgrow the chav thing, but increasingly i see 7-8 year old kids walking around sporting this bullshit, kids are being reached at a younger and younger age and this is the problem, insecurity is pounced on by fashion magazines and ads to the point where little children are becoming master consumers......it's just another angle of homogenisation, and god help the kids brought up by chavs, what chance do they stand?.......

so toadborg, you like the status quo?.........and we just had a 'how you would change the world' thread, you know this....
  • Options
    Agreed, now I'm off to buy the Guardian from the Union shop. Union...collective...
  • Options
    Agreed, now I'm off to buy the Guardian from the Union shop. Union...collective...

PM'd you
  • Options
    you people are something again!
    hic.
  • Options

John Cooper Clarke, what a genius. :cool:
  • Options
    my claim to fame. Hes a friend of mine
    woo... get me
  • Options
    woo... get me
    you must be then ...a friend of a friend of a friend of someone i was once close to!
    :wave:
  • Options
    nooo, is it really you? my golly.
    what a small world
  • Options
    woo... get me

Even cooler. :cool:
  • Options
    nooo, is it really you? my golly.
    what a small world
    hiya cousin!
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i thought the idea of uniforms was so poorer people with less 'fashionable' clothes are not targeted or made fun of and everyone is made to feel equal........and yes people can outgrow the chav thing, but increasingly i see 7-8 year old kids walking around sporting this bullshit, kids are being reached at a younger and younger age and this is the problem, insecurity is pounced on by fashion magazines and ads to the point where little children are becoming master consumers......it's just another angle of homogenisation, and god help the kids brought up by chavs, what chance do they stand?.......

so toadborg, you like the status quo?.........and we just had a 'how you would change the world' thread, you know this....
    Equality is alot of the reason for uniforms, although a big part of it is that the school wants everyone to look smart, and alike. I'm not saying uniforms are a bad thing, they're not, I just think it's a shame that when students try to be original in other little ways they get put down by the teachers to the point of being sent home.
    Maybe I'm wrong their, to be honest I'm not 100% sure on that argument, I just think maybe schools play a part in stopping individuality. They seem to want to produce clones.

And chavs, yeah they get younger and younger every year. When I started at secondary school in year 7 their were no chavs and we wouldn't think of being abusive to older years. But by the time I left after year 13, well....
  • Options
    We're turning into America.