Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

period question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
need a bit of re-assurence from the wise ones.

just having my first period after having my coil fitted - know they are supposed to make them heavier, but i was wearing a pad and super tampon and within 3hours had to change both.

ive never used tampons before and was wondering if im just really heavy or had i used it wrong? i can live with heavy periods but want to check that its not a big deal or anything coz it says u can wear them for 4-8hours on the box and i assume people use them without a back up pad too?

Comments

• Options
    yeh you're meant to change them 4-8 hours, i'd never have to change mine after 3 and no i don't wear a pad as well. normally just a liner just incase. i don't really know much about the coil though, sorry. but perhaps it'll settle down after a month or 2?
  • Options
    is it a copper coil or a mirena coil?
  • Options
    copper coil. i know they are supposed to make your periods heavier....but just suprised at how much so. i can live with it, just wondered what people thought. is it possible im using the tampons wrong?
  • Options
    once you've out the tampon in, if you cant feel it inside you (unless you put your finger up to it) then its in the right place.
  • Options
    see i definantly cant feel it but im still needing pads .its super tampax compak...could it be the brand maybe?
  • Options
    could you try the non compaq ones (i.e. the normal tampax ones), think they call them non-applicator or something?
  • Options
    If you're bleeding really heavily I supose it could just be that the tampon isn't enough... I've known it happen to other people.
    I dunno really... :confused:
  • Options
    its almost certain to be because its so soon after having it fitted.
    Is it the first day of your period?
  • Options
    second. thanx Rainbow, was hoping you'd say that!
  • Options
    mine were heavier and more achey than usual for about the first three or four months and I also spotted a bit around ovulation time, but I think thats normal. but now its calmed down quite a lot, and my periods arent much heavier than they were before I had it fitted and no more painful. The spotting has also stopped.
  • Options
    When I had it fitted my periods were a lot heavier, generally used light tampons throughout before and since having it removed, when I had it always had to use super and change them very regularly first few days of period. Generally my periods lasted about 8 days as well rather than the 5 previously.
  • Options
    mine last about 5 days now instead of 4.
  • Options
    ok , i'll have to wait til it settles then