Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

White House screw over their own POW's.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In 2003 former American POW's were awarded around $1 billion in compensation for being tortured by Iraq in Abu Ghraib (ironic yes) during the Gulf War.........only to have their government turn around and say, sorry you can't have it now we need the money to help develop iraq..........source.

what's more ironic is that rumsfeld has come out and said that iraqi prisoners who were mistreated at abu ghraib deserve compensation........incredulous given the circumstances.

now imagine you go off to fight a bloody war for your country like a good patriot and you take a beating in the process, only to come back and find the very country you fought for is stabbing you in the back.........i'd be pissed.

Comments

• Options
    ah yes but the federal government did richly reward them with a pat on the ass and an "ata-boy". :yeees:
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me, look at the way Gulf War syndrome has been treated in this country.
  • Options
    Well $1bn between 17 people seems an excessive reward to me. If Saddam had killed them after torturing them they'd have got 4 times their salary.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be recompensed, but it does seem that US judges think of a number and then multiply it by 100.