Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

200 hours: that's how much a life is worth

Story.

This guy runs over a woman, doesn't stop, doesn't report it to police, and leaves her to die in the road.

The woman had been abducted, she escaped from a vehicle, and then this taxi driver, instead of stopping when he hit her, sped on and left her to die in the road.

His punishment? £300 and 200 hours community service.

That's justice for you.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    but if your a pensioner and self medicate with hash browns ...you face a long time in jail!
  • Options
    lol, i see your frustration is spilling onto other threads.......
  • Options
    Our justice System is a bloody shambles.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Our justice System is a bloody shambles.
    I quite agree.

I don't blame the trial judge, there isn't much else he could have done.

the law stinks, but there you go. Running over a woman and not stopping is fine, eating a cake made with hash is a terrible sin and you deserve to be hanged for it.
  • Options
    terrible :(

Lets just hope this bastard gets whats he deserves and dies a slow painful death.

Sentances like this make people take the law into there own hands.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go that far. he wasn't the one who kidknapped her: when they catch that creature, then I would gladly give him the full "saudi" treatment.
  • Options
    Well I'd gladly give them both. ;)
  • Options
    He should have stopped. But it wasn't his fault, he wasn't drunk, we can't be sure if he was speeding or not. Had he stopped she probably would have lived, but we don't know that either. He's being punished for not stopping, not for killing her, because we can't be sure he could have done anything about it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    He should have stopped. But it wasn't his fault, he wasn't drunk, we can't be sure if he was speeding or not. Had he stopped she probably would have lived, but we don't know that either. He's being punished for not stopping, not for killing her, because we can't be sure he could have done anything about it.
    i pray my first reaction would be to stop.
    i'm confident ...that i could not do otherwise simply cos i have to look at myself and live with myself every day as it is.
  • Options
    i agree entirley. my own reaction would be to stop and try to help.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    His punishment? £300 and 200 hours community service.

That's justice for you.

He wasn't convicted of killing her. He was convicted of failing to stop and failing to report the accident.

Get the emotion out of the way and you will see that the sentence is correct.

Had he been driving dangerously at the time, I might have agreed with you. However, just because someone died doesn't mean it was his fault.
  • Options
    01j01 wrote:
    i agree entirley. my own reaction would be to stop and try to help.
    is it possible that you and I ...could find ourselves in that situation?
    if so ...the only possible reason i can think of is that soimething else is wrong ...your over the limit ...you have no insurance ...your carrying drugs money weapons or something ...you have panicked and gone ...
    surely ...if you don't stop ...then one of the aforementioned has made you panick.
    if your legal and shocked ...surely you stiop?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sickening... How your life can be destroyed in a few hours... You're happy one moment and have to deal with the loss of someone you (presumably) love the next...
  • Options
    they ought to have just let that prick burn. It's not even an issue of what had happend to the girl. When you hit someone with a car, you help them, if you dont, you dont deserve your freedom
  • Options
    they ought to have just let that prick burn. It's not even an issue of what had happend to the girl. When you hit someone with a car, you help them, if you dont, you dont deserve your freedom
    sorry but i have a picture of some guy being dragged through some hick town of dust behind a pick up ...
  • Options
    why are you sorry? the bastards driving that truck deserve to fry as well.
  • Options
    He didn't stop.

And whilst that doesn't necessarily mean that she would have lived, him failing to stop added vital minutes where she was without first aid. If he'd stopped and called an ambulance, like any decent human being would do, she would have had a better chance of living. She wasn't dead when she left the kidknapper's car, after all.
  • Options
    That's true. But as I said earlier, he's being punished for not stopping, because there's no way we could know that she'd live even if he had stopped. So he can't be punished for it.