Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McLibel... the story continues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For those who are interested, a further update on the McLibel case... HERE

For those who haven;t heard of this very famous case details can be found HERE

Comments

• Options
    they turned it around, it was a pretty indefensible refusal of legal aid...but it took this long...even with the McLegal team out in full force :no:
  • Options
    done :D

mcdonalds.jpg
  • Options
    A good example of how to shoot yourself in the foot. If MacDonalds hadn't sued the leaflet would have been read by three men and a dog.

Instead they managed to publicise the fact they exploit children and are cruel to animals to half the UK...
  • Options
    Looks a perfectly good and truthful leaflet to me.

Congratulations to the two defendants on this court victory.

And fuck McShite.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Having watched 'Supersize Me' I will certainly think twice before eating McDonalds. The leaflet speaks 100% truth.
  • Options
    It's wonderful.

Legal aid has been cut to such an extent that only the very poorest people have access to civil legal aid, yet the ECHR decrees that these two lying cunts should have been entitled to millions of pounds of aid.

Screw the people who DIDN'T fabricate things, lets pour money down the shithole so two pieces of rectal cancer can sue/be sued by a large piece of rectal cancer.

McDonald's should have screwed them into the ground when they had the chance.
  • Options
    Wasn't expecting that from you kermie... elaborate?
  • Options
    Do point out the inaccuracies of those people's claims Kermit

Last time I check, McDonalds was an exploitative, anti-union, low-paying, animal abusing scumbag corporation offering the most atrocious and unhealthy so-called food available anywhere.

It must have been a different McDonalds to the one you visit ;)
  • Options
    The court illustrated the inaccuracy of their claims perfectly. Let's face it, McDonald's isn't exactly a difficult target to pin things on, and yet those two lying tosspots couldn't manage it. Having £60,000 damages awarded against you shows that you have lied; not even newspapers get that awarded against them.

I detest McDonald's business practices, don't get me wrong; I just happen to detest those two pieces of lyinhg filth even more. McDonald's mistake, as I said, was not screwing them into the ground like the flies that they are.

What angers me more than anything is how the LSC won't give money out to anyone any more for civil cases, yet these two liars think that they somehow deserve the money to defend their provenm fabrications. These two people seem to think that their lies are more important than the women losing their homes because they cannot afford legal advice to gain fair divorce and child custody settlements; these two people think that their lies are more important than the poor who cannot afford to defend their names against the lies of newspapers; these two people think that their lies are more important than the people who lose their jobs and cannot afford to bring legal action to get compensation.

The LSC is filth to the core (which is why no lawyer with any sense does legal aid work anymore: just the six months waiting to be paid), but that doesn't mean that these two liars of Max Clifford standards should have been entitled to one single penny to defend their proven fabrications.
  • Options
    Last time I check, McDonalds was an exploitative, anti-union, low-paying, animal abusing scumbag corporation offering the most atrocious and unhealthy so-called food available anywhere.

I agree, yet its shocking to think some people actually say this and then defend a muslims right to eat halal meat, which is the most vile and cruel way to kill an animal possible. Bastards. :mad:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The court illustrated the inaccuracy of their claims perfectly.
    The judge ruled that they thought they were tellig the truth. This directly contradicts your description of them as "lying filth"
    Kermit wrote:
    not even newspapers get that awarded against them.
    that is because the system works on "damages", If a newspaper were to claim that Maddona was just miming at her concerts, and the turnout at a concert was low, the award could be for millions of pounds to cover loss of earnings
    Macdonalds asked for 80,000-120,000 pounds, but were awarded 57,500

The judge was also quite conservative - he said that "eating a macdonalds is bad for you" was defamatory, and they should have said "regularly eating more than one macdonalds a week is bad for you" which he wouldn't have found defamatory
    Despite the hard and sometimes noisy and hectic nature of the work, occasional long, extended shifts including late closes, inadequate and unreliable breaks during busy shifts, instances of autocratic management, lack of third party representation in cases of grievance and occasional requests to go home early without pay for the balance of the shift, if business is slack, I do not judge the Plaintiffs' conditions of work, other than pay, to be generally "bad", for its restaurant workforce.
    - pretty much describes "bad conditions of work" to me
  • Options
    Why do you have such vitriol against those two people Kermit? I really can't think why :confused:

Why do you keep calling them liars? They didn't lie about anything. As a matter of fact the Court agreed with most of what they said (but couldn't prove all the allegations made without doubt).

McDonalds ARE an explotiative, low-paying, environment and animal welfare unfriendly, anti-union, shit food-serving corporation. Which is exactly what those two accused them of being.
  • Options
    Kermit, you're chatting shit. They've been vindicated. I was in court with Helen Steel once, many moons ago. She's a witty intelligent person, certainly not how you portray her.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I agree, yet its shocking to think some people actually say this and then defend a muslims right to eat halal meat, which is the most vile and cruel way to kill an animal possible. Bastards. :mad:

More cruel than foie gras or trapping?
  • Options
    The judge ruled that they thought they were tellig the truth.

Doesn't matter in a libel case, unless I am much mistaken. Given that damages were awarded against the two I suspect that I may be right...
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

The origins of halal slaughter were actually to minimise the suffering iirc.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter in a libel case, unless I am much mistaken. Given that damages were awarded against the two I suspect that I may be right...
    it doesn't make any difference to the charge of libel. it does mean they are not "lying filth"
  • Options
    it doesn't make any difference to the charge of libel. it does mean they are not "lying filth"

Erm, libel is the publishing/distribution of lies...
  • Options
    They were found guilty of libel. That means they are lying. Simple, really.

What I have against these people is not what they say; they are right to criticise McDonald's business practises. What I have against these people is that they seem to think that their lies (proven in court, I do believe you'll find, though not everything they said was fabricated) are actually deserving of the millions of pounds of legal aid that it would have cost to support them, and that they are actually deserving of the huge damages awarded towards them by the ECHR.

Instead of that money going to help the poor get civil legal advice in divorce, housing/tenancy and employment matters, that money is going to two people who have been found guilty of lying. Now excuse me if I don't think that two morons saying "McDonald's is bad, mmkay!" is worth more than a single mother's right to keep her house and her children.
  • Options
    I've read back what I've written, and I haven't made it clear enough how much I despise McDonald's, and all they stand for.

I just disagree so much with what the "McLibel Two" have done, and how little they seem to care about anyone other than their own little crusade.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They were found guilty of libel. That means they are lying.

short answer: no it doesn't. It means they were found guilty of pulishing defamatory material which they were unable to show was true.

long answer:
    I beleive you are wrong on at least two counts.

1) Lying is an intent to deceive

If a "flat earther" said the world was a globe, they would be lying - despite their words being true

If a child tells you Santa Claus Brought them a bicycle for Christmas they would (on balance of probability) be telling the truth - despite their words being untrue.
    This means that [McDonalds]'s defamatory charge that she published a leaflet [...] which she knew to be untrue, has not been justified.

Unlike McDonalds, your assertion that she was lying is not covered by the special provisons of "qualified privilege"

2) Libel and lying are not tightly linked.

If I were to publish a document claiming you were the most handsome person I had ever met, I would be lying. I could not be found guilty of libel as my lie was not defamatory.

If I knew that you regulary fantasised about having sex with sheep, and published a leaflet, I would be telling the truth, yet I would be found guilty of libel, as I would not be able to show that my statement was (on balance of probabilities) true.

-- in short, libel is the act of publishing defamatory material. Being able to show the truth of a claim is a defence, but being found guilty does not mean the claim is untrue
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They were found guilty of libel. That means they are lying. Simple, really.

not entirely true actually
  • Options
    In fact not true at all, in this case.
  • Options
    I agree with everything in the "Exploiting Workers" part. I'm afraid to admit it, but I work there and well, they treat us like shit.

RESIST!!!!

;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I've read back what I've written, and I haven't made it clear enough how much I despise McDonald's, and all they stand for.

I just disagree so much with what the "McLibel Two" have done, and how little they seem to care about anyone other than their own little crusade.

I don't know how you formed that impression. Helen Steel and Dave Morris are committed political activists who campaign on all sorts of issues. Maybe you should try and find out a little bit about it before spouting crap?
  • Options
    Lying is an intent to deceive

Erm, and wasn't this leaflet deceptive then, or was it wholly accurate? Didn't it portray McD in a bad light?

Oh, and intent is irrelevant. A lie is an untruth whether you know it to be or not.
  • Options
    Erm, and wasn't this leaflet deceptive then, or was it wholly accurate? Didn't it portray McD in a bad light?

Oh, and intent is irrelevant. A lie is an untruth whether you know it to be or not.

Saying what you believe is telling the truth.

Which claim is wrong?
  • Options
    I'm no lawyer but I'd thought you could be telling the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth and still be guilty of libel. If you cannot prove your claims beyond doubt, for instance.
  • Options
    Saying what you believe is telling the truth.

No it isn't.

It's saying what you believe to be the truth.

I believe that you are a wanker. I cannot prove it, and I may be wrong. If I said you are a wanker then I may have libelled you.

If you state something as if it is fact then you have a duty to substantiate it when challenged.
  • Options
    No it isn't.

It's saying what you believe to be the truth.

I believe that you are a wanker. I cannot prove it, and I may be wrong. If I said you are a wanker then I may have libelled you.

If you state something as if it is fact then you have a duty to substantiate it when challenged.

But, I *am* a wanker.......