Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cheating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im currently doing my A2's and at the moment im completing my business studies coursework. The class is only small and we have one so called "star pupil". The teachers think this person is the best and compare us all to him and tell us to look at his work to see what we should do. The onyl problem is that this work isnt his own (unbeknown to the teacher). Ive found this pupils project on the internet on a business site. The problem now is what should i do? Personally i want to report him to the school because i dont want my project compared to something he has copyied but the problem is that will they believe me as he is the "star pupil". Even if i do report him whats is going to do, all they will say is change the project which will mean that he'll change a few words and give it in.

If you were in this situation what would you do and is it the correct procedure to report him.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Report him, if you don't want them to know it is you then send your teacher an anonymous letter.

Hell, I know someone who grassed someone up for forging their buspass when everyone else had to pay £40 a month... if it isn't fair don't put up with it.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Report it. In our Business class someone got an A and the rest of the class in comparisonj were downmarked (Mine down from a D by the teacher to a U), we reported him and he got disqualified and original grades reinstated.
    Why should he be allowed to get away with it when it may effect everyone else.
  • Options
    Report it, probably anonymously.

otherwise it will unfairly affect the grading curve.
  • Options
    you can do it anon and put the site adress etc on it. most teachers would be too curious not to check. or the head has a responsibility to investigate said accusation if its reported.
  • Options
    tis illegal to be honest!
    i'd go mad if it was someone in my class and the teachers hadnt spotted it!
  • Options
    I'd report the bugger straight up. But then I'm one for complaining if things arnt right anyway. I think my course manager is going to end up hating the sight of me:p
  • Options
    you could report him, or you could go to another site and get one of your own, or even better, do both :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Would grassing them up actually benifit you?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you could report him, or you could go to another site and get one of your own, or even better, do both :D

haha thats funny - i agree :lol:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Hell, I know someone who grassed someone up for forging their buspass when everyone else had to pay £40 a month... if it isn't fair don't put up with it.

That was you! :p

I'm sorta with Skive. Yes, morality etc. But i'm not sure what benefits you're planning on getting out of it when, at the end of the day, your work is being compared to a better piece of work, therefore upping your standards.

She'll be found out in the end most likely anyway. Those coursework sites are shit ;p
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Would grassing them up actually benifit you?
    no it wouldnt! you cant go grassin people up! he will come unstuck in time! just get on with your own life,his work may be false,but yours is more important,because its yours.teacher has to see that,and will i think!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    no it wouldnt! you cant go grassin people up! he will come unstuck in time! just get on with your own life,his work may be false,but yours is more important,because its yours.teacher has to see that,and will i think!
    Despite the fact that the cheat's work could well lower his own mark?
  • Options
    Grass him up, if you think your work could be downgraded because of this.. cheating asshole tosser then of course do it,

morality, he's in the wrong by cheating, at the end of the day he's cheating himself, but still, Grass him up, should get thrown of the course.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    Grass him up, if you think your work could be downgraded because of this.. cheating asshole tosser then of course do it,

morality, he's in the wrong by cheating, at the end of the day he's cheating himself, but still, Grass him up, should get thrown of the course.
    so you saying his work must be shit then? i,m sayin a good teacher should see the difference,grade "a" or not! why get involved like that?
  • Options
    A teacher has to use the top grade as a mark, and then compare otherwork to that, then grade/downgrade the other work according to if it's as good as that..

Not fair.. no...
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    A teacher has to use the top grade as a mark, and then compare otherwork to that, then grade/downgrade the other work according to if it's as good as that..

Not fair.. no...
    what if his turns out to be the top grade? ...it could happen...that teacher.... needs slapping if it turns out the way he thinks it could! never mind ay :)
  • Options
    no he doesn't.. the teacher does what he has too.. tbh he has to follow rules too
  • Options
    plagiarism is a HUGE no-no in uni. 3 people were caught doing it on my course and thrown off immediately, no questions asked.

best that he learns this before he gets there, i say.
  • Options
    We were threatened with academic misconduct in our physics labs if we wrote on loose sheets. He need to learn to follow the rules.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    plagiarism is a HUGE no-no in uni. 3 people were caught doing it on my course and thrown off immediately, no questions asked.

best that he learns this before he gets there, i say.

It wasnt at my uni, they were so desperate for students in one module they just gave the people caught a low pass and told them not to do it again. I was really angry and made a big stink about it.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    so you saying his work must be shit then? i,m sayin a good teacher should see the difference,grade "a" or not! why get involved like that?

Not how they mark coursework though I don't think-it is all relative to certain standards, and if the chearting person sets the standards all the others will seem poor in comparison.

Plagiarism is taken really seriously here too. It is a kick-offable offence here.
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bad seed wrote:
    Report him. He's a thief.
    He doesn't deserve a grade (decent or otherwise) if he doesn't do the work.

True :yes:
    But nobody likes a grass.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Report him. He's a thief.
    He doesn't deserve a grade (decent or otherwise) if he doesn't do the work.
    :yes:
    Plagiarism is theft. He shouldnt be doing the course if he is just going to copy his assignments. He wont learn anything, the rest of the class will get marked down and the teachers will have been duped.
    Noone wins. Write an anonymous letter.
  • Options
    I was sitting in an a-level exam and a girl I knew who was sat diagonally infront of me was cheating. She had a bit of paper under her desk. I was too busy thinking oh my god!, and also trying to get on with my work. By the time the exam had finished, it was too late as I had no proof. Also, it's her problem not mine.
  • Options
    Check with your school they may be a member of www.turnitin.com an website on which you type in as little as a few words from a paper andd it instantly searches the net and shows you all matches that are similar. You should turn him in right now, I'm having the exact same problem that you are and am in the same delima. Show the teacher the website on ehich some of his work was done.
  • Options
    yes, the whole grading curve will be affected, you should report him. why should you ave to suffer just because he cant be bothered doing his own work?
  • Options
    i would only report him if he was seriously messing up my grades, thats quite obvious........otherwise it's not really your place, i have seen plenty of people cheating at uni but that's their choice.......
  • Options
    I would report it, cheating is for losers.
  • Options
    I'd report it too.