Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Voting should be compulsory

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Discuss.
The right to vote is as important as the right not to vote, and sometimes has to be exercised.

Comments

• Options
    Yep, the right to vote also includes the right to abstain.
  • Options
    But how then, can anyone make any difference, what's the difference between the non-vote of someone who's looked and decided that nothing while change, and the person who simply can't be arse?
  • Options
    If people can't be arsed, so what? That's their right. But if millions of people "can't be arsed" then maybe there's something wrong with the politics?
  • Options
    i do think voting is important,and should have carefull consideration.however i think making it compulsory is a bit extreme.
  • Options
    Its forced in Auz and they keep electing that fascist Howard, so no, I dont agree with it.
  • Options
    I'm fine with the idea as long as there is a 'None of the above' choice.
  • Options
    I do not think this would be a good idea.

It would simply lead to millions of people voting that have no idea.

It might force some to think about there vote but many would not, just make a badly thought out judgement that could have serious implications, some people would no doubt just vote at random, a worrying thought......

It also disguises the problems that we have, i.e. lack of choice between the main parties, a distrust of politicians and a feeling of powerlessness.

i also think the continued economic success contributes to low turn out. if there was a big slump i would imagine voter attendance would rise again..
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its forced in Auz and they keep electing that fascist Howard, so no, I dont agree with it.
    Perhaps that's more to do with Oz, than the system?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Got nowt to do with the system, and everything to do with the fact that, away from Melbourne and (at a push) Sydney, the country is filled with redneck hicks.

I don't think voting should be forced. If people aren't voting it is because their vote is meaningless or the options are so woeful that there's no point. as Blagsta said, if everyone can't be arsed, then something is wrong.

Mind, when the level of political debate by the Government of this country is anti-semitic racism, hate-filled personal abuse and downright lies, then it's no wonder nobody votes.

Put a "burn the lot of 'em" option on a ballot paper and I predict that turnout would be about 99%.
  • Options
    Its forced in Belgium, you get fined if you don't vote. I think its a good idea.
  • Options
    here we go ...more fucking laws! more rules ...we'll drown under a sea of pointless legislation one day at this rate.
    if i decide not to vote ...it will not be through apathy ...it will be my political choice and my political statement.
    since when did i worry to much about legal?
    fine me ...
  • Options
    Seems to me that if UK or any country achieves a voter turnout of less than 50% in a major election eg general election, then it'll be a serious failure of democracy.

I don't think it should be compulsorary though. Voter apathy is a result of disillusionment with the parties and this can't be ignored.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Why wouldn't you want to vote anyway? Politics affects our lives in everyway!

Voting should be compulsory!

alienation, nihilism, general dislike of elections, of the system, it obviously shouldn't be made compulsory, the best thing to do is to encourage people to vote and those TV which your post has reminded me of is a step in the right direction, shows how influential it is, but making people vote just strips away civil liberties but you don't have a problem with that do you?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    I think its vital we all take part in democratic elections.

I agree completely with this statement. But I think rather than making voting compulsory, steps should be taken to appreciate why people are not voting. People are not voting for two reasons: one, there is no choice ("whoever you vote for, the Government still gets in") and two, in many constituencies voting is pointless (if you're a Tory in many northern cities, or a Labour fan in the Lake District, for instance, you might as well stop at home because your vote simply doesn't count).
    War after war has been fought so we have the freedom to vote who we like.

The freedom demanded was the freedom to choose to vote. Opportunity not obligation.
    There is a lot of choice too so there are no excuses not to vote.

Credible choice? There isn't.

Nobody but the blue Tories or the red Tories will ever get into power under the FPTP system. A choice between the devil and the deep blue sea is not a choice.
    Why wouldn't you want to vote anyway? Politics affects our lives in everyway!

You fall into the trap of believing that the only method of political participation is at the ballot box. This isn't so.

Many people are disillusioned with voting because Blair and Howard are just about indistinguishable on most issues. The difference is largely style rather than substance. This doesn't mean that they don't participate politically: the anti-war, anti-capitalism and anti-hunting ban demonstrations were huge, pressure groups such as Greenpeace have hundreds of thousands of members, and organisations such as Fair Trade and jubilee 2000 have made consumer choice a political statement in many cases.

Political participation, at all levels, is as buoyant as it ever was, but people understand that Westminster politics has become largely irrelevant in modern times. People don't vote because it makes no difference. A solitary cross every five years has no impact on anything, as was proven beyond all doubt by a party who pledged at an election that they would not bring in top-up fees (and were duly elected) and then did so anyway.
  • Options
    Except then you end up with shared governments and nothing ever happens.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    I think its time to end FPTP. The system denies any small parties, kills the Tories and Lib Dems and only favours the Labour party who receive an rediculous majority.

I believe proportional representation may be the way forward. An alliance of parties who make up one government. The house of commons would still host the MP's.... but it would be porportional.... example: If Labour had 42% of the popular vote, 42% of the MP's would be from Labour and so on.
    Everyone would eb presenatted, no vote would be wasted and maybe this country could move forward!

well we all know what happened in germany after the first world war when that happened.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not true.

Look at Germany. Lots of things happen there, it's stable, and, um, it's proportional.

Lukesh, I agree entirely, except don't think that the FPTP unduly favours Labour: the most-elected party in the C20 was the Conservatives, who ruled for over half the century. FPTP creates a democracy like in the US, where you get to vote for dumb, dumber or a no-hoper (like Nader). And dumb and dumber just take it in turns.
  • Options
    Italy?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    well we all know what happened in germany after the first world war when that happened.

The rise in fascism in Germany was due to the weakness of the constitution to prevent its own destruction and the fact that there was no established culture of democracy among the people who had until 1918 been ruled by the Kaiser. Britain however, has one of the most well established democracies in the world and was one reason why fascism never took off here in the 1930s
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    If we're going to go all historical, the Reichstag actually was working very well indeed until the Wall Street Crash of 1929. And many historians believe that if the Chancellor of 1925-7 had lived, then it would have survived still.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Italy?
    United States.

Point?
  • Options
    pros and cons to both sides really. Democracy is a farce.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    in many constituencies voting is pointless (if you're a Tory in many northern cities, or a Labour fan in the Lake District, for instance, you might as well stop at home because your vote simply doesn't count).

that was proved wrong when labour came to power on a landslide ...safe tory seats in wales ...vanished ...swept away. not one welsh seat!
  • Options
    Democracy isn't a farce, if it is implemented correctly.

FPTP is a farce. Pure PR is a farce. What works is a compromise between the two, as is seen in Ireland and Germany (those two notorious unstable regimes).

In Germany half the parliament is elected in an FPTP system, with constituencies, but then, with the second half of the seats, parties have their allocations "topped up" so that the parliament is pretty much PR (there being a cut-off of 5%: poll less than this and your contribution is ignored). You get the stability of FPTP (radical votes are wasted votes) but you allow smaller parties to influence the democratic process.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If we're going to go all historical, the Reichstag actually was working very well indeed until the Wall Street Crash of 1929. And many historians believe that if the Chancellor of 1925-7 had lived, then it would have survived still.

in that respect, we'd all be living in space if T-Rex didn't stop to do a shit one day millions of years ago.
  • Options
    that was proved wrong when labour came to power on a landslide ...safe tory seats in wales ...vanished ...swept away. not one welsh seat!
    No it wasn't.

How many "safe" Welsh seats were there? I can't think of very many.

As I said, you'll never see a Labour MP in Penrith and the Borders constituency, and you'll never see a Tory in Keighley or Sunderland.
  • Options
    making voting compulsory has never been a good idea. For one it deprives people of the freedom which those who support compulsory voting so proudly tout. If you dont have an opinion then there is no need for you to voice it. Secondly requiring people to vote causes those who don’t have an opinion (and who therefore have never looked very closely at the issues) to screw with the general disposition of those who actually care.

gather together a bunch of meth addicts, talk with them a while. After they explain to you that the only way that they can have sex is doggy style so that they can both look out the window at the same time for the cops. Come back to me and tell me that they are productive members of the voting population. :yeees:

The way the system of democracy works is that those who are educated (or care) about a subject will have a voice. And hopefully the ridiculously ignorant will be too stupid to know that they should care.
  • Options
    making voting compulsory has never been a good idea. For one it deprives people of the freedom which those who support compulsory voting so proudly tout. If you dont have an opinion then there is no need for you to voice it. Secondly requiring people to vote causes those who don’t have an opinion (and who therefore have never looked very closely at the issues) to screw with the general disposition of those who actually care.

gather together a bunch of meth addicts, talk with them a while. After they explain to you that the only way that they can have sex is doggy style so that they can both look out the window at the same time for the cops. Come back to me and tell me that they are productive members of the voting population. :yeees:

The way the system of democracy works is that those who are educated (or care) about a subject will have a voice. And hopefully the ridiculously ignorant will be too stupid to know that they should care.
    you made me laugh there ...with very good points may i add.
  • Options
    Here's what I originally said about compulsory voting in full:

"The right to vote is as important as the right not to vote, and sometimes has to be exercised. There is nothing patriotic in voting. Locally, the Plaid Cymru MP (in my area) is immovable, and nationally, New Labour are immovable. So, I can't help but feel my vote would be wasted. It's a shame - this is the first time I can vote in a General Election and I was rather looking forward to it - but with New Labour and the Tories being near clones of each other, that would make it difficult to change anything.

I disagree completely. (with voting being compulsory) Look at the recent Iraqi elections. The turnout was estimated to be at 60%. Considering the amount of violence and instability in that country, this seems like a decent figure. What was the turnout in the 2001 UK General Election? 59%. Will it be lower this time? Of course it will. The way to increase the number voting is to re-engage them in the political process, not through a process of compulsion. Compulsory voting sounds very authoritarian.

Ideally, there would be an option on the ballot paper saying "none of the above" or something like that. If voting was ever made compulsory, (and in a healthy democracy, it shouldn't) that option should be made available."
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Actually, not really...

Look at Scotland, the Labour/Lib Dem Executive put through some notable reforms...

Like paying for all Scottish students' tuition fees.

Luke may have a point...for once!

People are so fucking bored of politics, it might make a difference...again, look at Scotland - you've got Labour, Tories, Liberal Democrats, Greens, SSP...makes politics a bit more colourful and representative.