Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cloning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story
Q&A
Timeline

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Just read it (God I love taking days off :D)

In one word: Disgusting.

I am well aware that I could benefit of such a thing. I am just really afraid of where they will draw the line.
  • Options
    What concerns me is how short Dolly's life was, in comparision to other sheep, and how many attempts it took before they got Dolly (somewhere in the 200s I'm led to believe). Where does cloning stop?
  • Options
    I'm not sure I like it, in fact its a bit wierd to me.

But, its going to take place and I think its better it happens here, same as animal testing, we have very tight controls and we can economically benefit from it.
  • Options
    its actually a good use of the technology, scary still where the line gets drawn, but id rather it gets done here with rigorous rules and procedures rather than in a country who really couldnt give a toss for ethics
  • Options
    its actually a good use of the technology, scary still where the line gets drawn, but id rather it gets done here with rigorous rules and procedures rather than in a country who really couldnt give a toss for ethics

I just said that, cant you come up with your own ideas?
  • Options
    clone john prescott and solve world hunger
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I just said that, cant you come up with your own ideas?

what where? ohhh

i guess great minds think alike :D

eta - in the spirit of things of other threads

oiE i£m sure da bloody boguss will nick it whilst eatin our clones, bloody refugees, i cant wait for my inbred sister to get home :naughty:

PMSL :razz:
  • Options
    i guess great minds think alike :D

Or great thoughts get copied.
  • Options
    I think it's brilliant. So for as it is for medical research.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    clone john prescott and solve world hunger
    Surely that would reduce the number of pies available for the rest of us? Unless you are proposing some form of cannabalism?
  • Options
    id rather it gets done here with rigorous rules and procedures rather than in a country who really couldnt give a toss for ethics
    If only.

They'll sell it to us on the basis that they'll cure MND in a couple of years, when in reality these benefits are theoretical at best. And there is no accountability for them.

This is cure at any cost research.
  • Options
    What I'm worried about is if the military start cloning.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why?

use your mind

if cloning humans becomes possible i'm 100% sure that the only people who'll have the technology to do this will be....wait for it.....yes the americans, they'll be able to manipulate their army size to millions, then the military hegemony will be complete.
  • Options
    They'd have the people, but where would the money to arm them come from?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

eh where does the money to invade iraq come from?

china has 2 million people in its army, it can still afford to arm them and it's economy is minute compared to america.
  • Options
    Are the armed to an acceptable standard? All have kevlar etc, is it at the expense of other social responsiblities?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Are the armed to an acceptable standard? All have kevlar etc, is it at the expense of other social responsiblities?

i think you're getting a bit pedantic now, anyway, who cares about social responsibilites when you can have oil and power?
  • Options
    Well, american's do, or at least half of them do. It just seemed like an odd thing to say, not that it'd be something I couldn't arrive at the conclusion of, but that cloning purely for military purposes would cause worldwide uproar.
  • Options
    I think the benifits can out weight the draw backs.
    Besides the cloning of a human is miles off, not so much in a physical respect because its possible now, but for in to be used in a military way is impossible, you would need genetic memory for the clone to be any good with a gun.
    As soon as he pops out of the test tube he's gunna have an IQ of a lemon.
  • Options
    If you cloned for military purposes they end up like the Stormtroopers in Star Wars - easy pickings for anyone with a decent lightsabre.

Hell, if everyone else is talking science fiction I can't see why I shouldn't?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Where does cloning stop?
    it doesn't.
    the line has now been crossed.
    a few people will grumble ...will be classed as religous nutcases or ludites whilst this thing accelerates.
    of course only the west will have the technology and any benefits if any come of it.
    scary world we are now entering where humans become a mere research tool.
    not long before arms and legs and bigger tits come off the peg ...or should that be meat hook?
  • Options
    Jinx wrote:
    Besides the cloning of a human is miles off
    Depends how you define "human" I guess. Embryos are still human, just minute.

No consent you see, but that's ok cos no one cares if you can't speak.
  • Options
    only seeme like yesterday that the cloning of humans would never ever be allowed ...the times they are a changing.
    and a hard rains gonna fall ...
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Heh. There's goes me asking questions to answer others questions. Stupid. I guess that makes me some kind of parrot. Or a pirate of course. Yarrrr.
    pirate i reckon ...with your nautical doings and such.

this thing of oh so recently ...no cloning of humans ...how when where ...did it all change?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Trouble is that they start it off small, then it goes into other things. .
    exactly.
    thing is ...if we banned it here ...like i was under the impression we had ...then our money would pay for our researches to do it somewhere else anyway.
    i fear our technology is now driving us ...it can't be good that way round.
    it's the same with computer technology.
    there isn't realy anything on offer for the general public that we don't already have.
    the advances now are in imaging/recognition/tracking/controlling/monitoring/testing.
    for we which joe street has little use.
    but ...we have to keep this industry going and growing which means ...someone has to buy ...the implants ...the tracking devices the drugs alcohol testing ...the spying ...the plastic cash kind of technology which means ...our technology is now driving us ...into the arms of a big brother state ...the whole western world will be monitoerd and recorded and ...very controlled and closed.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I'd agree with cloning if we were to bring back a species that we as humans had killed.

Let's imagine I go into the forrest and chance upon some unicorn blood, prehaps a griffin, then it would be cool if I could ressurect it from the DNA. Wouldn't that be bloody cool! I mean, who's ever seen a unicorn or a griffin?! Now that's dominion, and if there's God we'd be mimicking the creator. Shazaam.
    great sentiment but ...you'd also have to ressurect their entire eco system for them to survive.
    like if the panda becomes extinct ...cos bamboo shooyts are now so popular with the western humans ...you'd also have to reintroduce the extinct bammboo AND its environment.
    pandas deserve to fucking die out anyway ...how many times have we shipped in some gorgous bimbo panda and the guy won't fuck her anyway! how many timnes have we offered these creatures sex on a plate ...and still they wont shag ...fuck em.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The Catholic church maybe?